Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

arg not done yet the clunking sound is still there I dont have the wobble but now the brakes go to the floor I bled them twice just to make sure the air was gone if any as I hung them from the shock so as to not bend the line anyone have any suggestions I am out of patience with this one
  2. J

rust just pulled it all apart again and found a small piece of rust behind the rotor about as wide as a quater which I thought I had gotten all of it, this time I did so that should take care of the wobble and the clunking noise .now to put it all back together and see and thanks CD I thought...
  3. J

wobble I replaced the hub bearings on both sides (right side was bad) one of the easiest I ever did but now I have a wobble in the front and the right side makes a clunking noise when I hit the brakes, it didnt have this problem before I changed the hubs new tires new alignment brakes about 4...
  4. J

How much is enough

thanks guys I appreciate the info thats a lot of fluid, which brand would you recommend, I only use valvoline for my oil changes in any vehicle I have (you can blame that on my dad and when he passed we found about 10 cases in the storage shed)
  5. J

How much is enough

Hey guys finally got my transmission in, and was wanting to know exactly how many quarts does the 4R70W take. I have already pulled and replaced the filter the trans had some fluid in it (guy said he stores all his trans that way keeps the internals from drying up makes sense to me) and I am...
  6. J

Tranny flush question.....

made a new post
  7. J

question for the good folks here

Yes sir that would be it, I found out about that today, I could modify this one to fit but wouldnt be sure if it would be accurate with the sensor and all so I love to go to salvage yards *never know what you will find* thats where I will be Saturday anyways
  8. J

question for the good folks here

It seems that I have somehow lost the manual control lever off of the trans I am installing in my 97 5.0 AWD (thinks the Dodge Durango guy who helped him stole it can't trust a Dodger) the one that came with the original trans will not fit the replacement trans, the original is oblong shaped...
  9. J

Hello ,which VB

Have been thinking about it and decided to stay with the VB that came with the 96 mainly because the 97 was full of debris and dont want this trans to be contaminated with it,and also which transmission cooler would you recommend,I wont be towing anything and was thinking a medium duty would...
  10. J

Hello ,which VB

ok I have both 4R70W transmission's sitting in my garage what I would like to know which is the better valve body one is a 1997 the other is a 1996 the 97 has 90k miles on it the 96 has 30k on it the trans was rebuilt at 152k so essentially the 96 has 180k on it, dont know if they rebuilt the...
  11. J

hey its me again(1997 5.0AWD)

yea I read up on it already really wished I had cut the harness off the other one thou would have made it easier
  12. J

went ahead and pulled my other one they look exactly the same the wiring looks a little different but thats not a problem was kinda worried thou Jim the manager down at Eastgate Ford said technicaly mine is a 97 with a little 98 thrown in for good measure, I pulled the pan and the little...
  13. J

June of 1997 its a weird one some 97 parts work and some 98 parts work,not sure about the P heads, but my vin's 5th character is a U if that helps and the 8th is a P
  14. J

well I bought a roll over 96 Explorer at the IAC auction pulled the motor and trans its a 5.0 FWD took the rest to the shredder (bad rollover) but anyways the trans looks like mine I have the 1997 5.0 awd but the numbers on the plate are different but other than that they look the same oh the...
  15. J

a little info on computers or the wiring harness

a (P) head never heard that term but stopped by Brownies Transmission shop he said all I had to do was to get the harness from the 99 and splice it into my wiring which should be all I would need then he asked me which converter I had ok another question how many converters are there
  16. J

a little info on computers or the wiring harness

Ok I found a trans for $450 its out of a 99 V8 Mountainer with 42000 on it the guy said it will bolt up but wouldnt work because the computers were different he wants another 65 for the computer, what I have read here in the forums is that all I would have to do is repin the wiring harness, the...
  17. J

97 to 98/99 4R70W interchange

decided to rebuild the one I have which of these kits would be the best for my vehicle 1997 AWD 5.0 and another small question I was told today that my Explorer may be a 1998 something about being built in June of 97 27005 Ford 4R70W Transmission master kit 1996-03 4R70W...
  18. J

well I am gonna give it a whirl and see what happens been reading up on the model and read through the 4R70W diary expect to see a lot of me on here
  19. J

I can make a totaled vehicle look like new but going inside a motor or transmission and I am all left hands (no insult to lefty's) would hate to tear something apart thats not broken and not be able to put it back together again
  20. J

well went back to the shop seems the 4wd is a 4.6 not a 5.0 the 2wd is a 5.0 so it seems I should have left that penny that was tails up on the ground, I only have 400 dollars wrapped up in it so far I am not out much will let it sit till I find one
  21. J

thanks a whole lot really appreciate your info and your time think I will really like it here :)
  22. J

Thank you for the reply another question if I may will the 1998 4WD truck be a straight forward replacement or as I have read on the forums I might have to change the VB or rearrange some wires
  23. J

I just bought a 1997 Explorer 5.0 AWD on the way to work this morning the transmission started to slip figured the transmission fluid was low no big deal I had some at the shop anyways got to a stoplight (long stoplight) then started to go and the engine just rev'd then the trans caught made it...
Back