Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Oem spark plugs??

My 2002 V6 came with single platinum, but the plugs were different between the two banks. One bank (3 total) had the platinum on the ground, the other side (3 total) had the platinum on the electrode. The reason is that the these explorers use a waste spark ignition system with each plug...
  2. R

HELP!!! Tranny pan bolts shearing!

Perhaps you are over torquing them. The specification for the pan bolts is only 96 in-lbs (8 ft-lbs). Use a torque wrench, it's not very tight and easy to over tighten. Rumple
  3. R

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

That is one of THE best writeups and howto! Kudos! Rumple
  4. R

02 4.0 powering out at high rpms

It may be a clogged fuel filter that starves the engine when demand is high. Rumple
  5. R

help with my 2004 explorer radiator flush

A 2004 Explorer came from the factory with Motorcraft Premium Gold coolant. This is a G-05 HOAT coolant. Most easily you can find Zerex G-05 coolant at some autoparts places, or you can go to the Ford dealer and get the Premium Gold coolant - it should around $14 for a gallon of concentrate. Mix...
  6. R

Busy day...

75W-90 is better than the 80W-90. 80W-90 is conventional oil while much (all?) 75W-90 is synthetic. The 75W or 80W part measures the viscosity while cold, with 75W being the better (thinner) value. This will be important when the weather is cold, which I hear happens from time to time in...
  7. R

My 2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Nice! I also have a 2002 V6. Mine does not look as nice as yours, but runs very well and has never had a major issue. Very reliable. Did you buy it new? Rumple
  8. R

Differential oil question

Spec is 80W-90 for the front and synthetic 75W-140 for the rear for the 2002-2005 model year. Somewhere in the model year run Ford started putting in a lighter 75W-90 oil in the rear for gas milage reasons, but backed off again to 75W-140 (and a TSB to do so) when issues arose (gear whine/hum)...
  9. R

60k miles, ??should I change the tranny fluid??

When the 2002 came out, Ford made a bit of a big deal out of the fact that the transmission was "sealed" and that the fluid should last 150,000 miles. My maintenance booklet that came with the truck states that at 150,000 miles the ATF should be changed, so 150,000 miles is the factory...
  10. R

Wish I could claim the wizard prize, I was just following in the path of others here who did this before I did. It is a bit of a pain to do, but I think that changing the ATF is a good thing for a long, trouble free transmission life. Rumple
  11. R

I changed my 2002 V6 4WD transmission oil at ~60,000 miles by: 1) Open the drain pan plug and getting out ~4 quarts. 2) Drop the pan and getting out maybe ~1 more quart. 3) As long as it was open, changed the filter and cleaned the magnetic capture ring. 4) Put the cleaned pan back on...
  12. R

The rattles of a 2002 4.0 V6 SOHC 4x4...

Since you have run 60K miles with the rattle at a steady state level (correct me if that is not the case), it may be worth it to try and reduce any new wear with a cheap remedy. In my 2002 V6 I had the timing chain rattle under some load conditions in the 2200-3000 RPM range. I found that...
  13. R

Throttle by wire, questions

Just the usual suspects in cases of a ODBII vehicle that hesitates on acceleration (in no particular order): 1) Dirty/bad MAF (mass airflow sensor) solution - clean/replace MAF 2) Dirty fuel injectors solution - clean injectors. 3) Low fuel pressure solution - Replace the fuel...
  14. R

Throttle by wire, questions

The 2002 and 2003 are not throttle by wire, they have a mechanical cable controlling the throttle so the issue and fix do not apply to them. Rumple
  15. R

Who has actually had good service from an '02 Explorer.

Have a 2002 SOHC V6 4WD Eddie Bauer that we bought new and early in the production run, now with 72,000 miles. Very reliable vehicle. Rumple
  16. R

Changing Differential Fluids

I put Amsoil 75W-140 sever gear oil in the rear with 4 oz of LS friction modifier of my 2002 V6 4WD Eddie Bauer and put Vavoline SynPower 75W-90 synthetic in the from after sucking out the old, nasty 80W-90 fluid. Truck runs very well. A good synthetic 75W-90 is a nice upgrade from the dino...
  17. R

Change Plugs?

One important tip - only change the plugs on an aluminum head engine when the engine is cold. Hot heads means expanded aluminum means tighter grip on the plugs and a greater chance of stripping them - something you really don't want to do. Rumple
  18. R

02 rear diif question

No work done on the diff ever. The 2002 came from the factory with Ford synthetic 75W-140, I changed it out at about 60,000 miles and the truck now has 71,000 miles. It never was loud or rumbled, but the Amsoil 75W-140 has quieted it down a wee bit I would say. IIRC at some point after the...
  19. R

02 rear diif question

Remove the fill plug *first* - it is often harder to remove than the drain plug. There are several cases of people not doing so and then having to have their truck flatbedded to a shop for a fix. I use Amsoil 75W-140 sever gear oil + limited slip friction modifier in my 2002 Eddie Bauer. My...
  20. R

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in Transfer Case

I put Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF in the transfer case of my 2002 V6 4.0L 4WD Eddie Bauer at ~60,000 miles and I'm now at ~72,000 miles. No issues whatsoever. The original fill for the T-case was plain Mercon rather than Mercon V, so putting in a Mercon V recommended synthetic like the Mobil 1...
  21. R

do 2002's suck?

I am the original owner of a 4.0L V6 4X4 2002 Eddie Bauer that now has 71,000 miles. It has given me almost no trouble over the years, very reliable truck. YMMV
  22. R

synthetic oil

Amsoil SSO 0W-30 also quieted the chain rattle on my Ex, but the German Castrol (GC) 0W-30 quiets it even more, which is expected as the GC is a thicker oil with a higher HTHS than the SSO: SSO - 100C viscosity 10.3, HTHS 3.2, TBN 13+ GC - 100C viscosity ~12, HTHS >3.5, TBN ~10 Basically...
  23. R

synthetic oil

For the 4.6 V8 Ford specifies, as you found out, 5W-20. The first number with the "W" is the winter weight and indicates how well the oil performs at low temperatures as specified in SAE J300. The lower the number the more easily the oil flows at low temperatures. The second number is the...
  24. R

synthetic oil

Spot on! Even for regular dino oil 3k is too often. Rumple
  25. R

synthetic oil

It's a waste to swap a synthetic oil every 3k, it can last much longer. For 3k intervals use a good quality dino oil like Pennzoil yellow bottle, Motorcraft or other. IIRC, the V8 4.6 is specified for 5W-20 rather than 5W-30. Rumple
Back