Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

1994 Ranger 4.0 - Battery Tray Removal

Did you ever figure it out? I'm going through my late grandfather's 1994 Ranger now and want to pull the battery tray for the same purpose, but I can't find a hidden bolt anywhere.
  2. F

2wd conversion to 4x4

I was thinking it was both. If the suspensions can be swapped from one to another I'm lost on why it wouldn't be the same. Either way... I'm thinking about keeping it 4x2 after spending so much gas money trying to find a good 4x4 donor and still coming up empty handed.
  3. F

2wd conversion to 4x4

Yeah- that's not nearly as complicated as the other (very scarce) threads I'd found about it. I think you saved me about two days worth of work. Thanks!
  4. F

2wd conversion to 4x4

Everything I read said crossmember had to go. You pulled the twin I-beam equipment and swapped in the TTB equipment?
  5. F

2wd conversion to 4x4

Unless you have some insane sentimental value in your current Explorer, just swap to a 4x4 vehicle. To do a 4x4 conversion you have to pull the engine and replace the engine crossmember, which requires cutting and welding at the frame. It's not a job for a novice to tackle. Additionally, on...
  6. F

Where did you put your TTB drain plug?

Thanks for the pic, junkie. Unfortunately, the parts truck I was going to buy had a cracked engine block. At this point I'm leaning toward just leaving the truck 4x2 for simplicity.
  7. F

dana 30 sas.

Because stock for stock it'll tear the ass out of a Fox Mustang. I would know... but I was on 35s with half a ton of armor. :D In all fairness, the 5.0 sounded pretty ragged out. Really, though, I was referring to the older TJs. They're ~3500 pounds in stock form. Usually add about 1,000...
  8. F

dana 30 sas.

SAS to a Jeep D30 would be a step backward in strength. Seriously- stick with the D35; it will hold up plenty well enough for what you're doing. The axle itself may be $150, but you'll be $2k in on a SAS before you know it. If you insist on doing the D30, the high pinion axles are an...
  9. F

Please do. Thanks for the help. I was thinking I could just use a pipe bung, but then I'd have it hanging out to be the first thing a rock strikes if I ever actually take it anywhere (which is unlikely, but still...)
  10. F

I'm about to convert my Ranger to 4x4. While everything is apart I'm going to weld my spiders, eliminate the C-clip, and add an oil drain plug. Where did you guys put your drain plug to make sure it didn't block anything?
  11. F

bigger tires

You guys are insane with theoretical situations. Explorers are slower than sick dogs bone stock. A 31" tire won't hurt it nearly as much as you're saying. I had 34x10.50s on my '92 EB with a 2" lift and made 14+mpg all city (LTBs don't like highway) on 3.73s. I drove it most days because it made...
  12. F

New X to build with plans.

Don't bother with the body lift. With 4" and that kit 35s should fit fine. I'm on 2" and 34x10.50s with minimal trimming. If anything do the body lift last if you need a touch more space. I'd go 4.88 but really doubt you'll actually feel the difference if you'd take one step up or down from...
  13. F

Full set of 38s in the Explorer?

The ones behind the passenger seat were laid down and doubled, but the rear two were too far back by roughly half an inch and I didn't want to put that stress on both the seat brackets and the rear hatch latching mechanism. Joe! Where y'at?! Come look at my carpet! The front floorboards are...
  14. F

...and onto the Bronco...
  15. F

drothgeb- that sounds even more impressive! You have pictures?
  16. F

Picking up some 38x12.50x15s for my FSB in a few minutes. Didn't feel like driving 45 minutes out of the way to borrow my dad's truck, 45 minutes back, 45 minutes to get the tires, 45 minutes back, then 45 minutes to go drop off my dad's truck then 45 minutes back... so I'm gonna make this...
  17. F

This or That

Seriously? 35s on a 9"?? I know plenty people running 40+ on 9s. Easy to upgrade them to be as strong as you want.
  18. F

This or That

Don't do that. Sell the D60 then get a 9" rear axle from an old big boy Bronco or F150 and rock out.
  19. F

Freshmeat's Eddie Bauer

I needed to get some heat out of the engine bay while on the trails so I pulled the hood, made some templates, and made some vent holes. I have some edge trim to go around the edges, but haven't gotten around to it, as I've been really tied up. Driving it around with the big holes in the hood...
  20. F

Someone remind me why I do this...

Okay- the power steering pump swap/flush is 100% complete. The fuel level sending unit is repaired (the float was cracked and therefore not floating.) Now just need to swap the water pump and t-case skid plate. At least the water pump doesn't appear to require removal of the accessories to swap...
  21. F

The only reason I'd smile after putting my foot to the floor in the Explorer is because I'd be laughing at how slow it is compared to my Mustang. :P
  22. F

I haven't done much work on the Explorer in a LONG time. I've changed the oil and such as needed, but there have been issues I've ignored. Mostly the power steering leak. Two weeks before my Mustang arrived the leak got the best of things and blew out a main seal in the steering box. I...
  23. F

Should I sell or go Solid? Give me your .02

You should go SAS on the '91. Stop the thoughts of swapping axles under that '02 right now. You have a solid truck in the '91, which is not to be confused with the reliable DD of the '02. Use the old '91 that you can't sell for much anyway and build that into the dedicated trail rig.
  24. F

Axle Shaft sucked into spindle...wrecked hub?

I think you'd be fine. If you saw my junk yard hubs I'm running with 34s and a welded differential, you'd cry. Try it- what's the worst that can happen?
  25. F

Explorer to Ranger 4WD spindle interchange?

Should work without a problem.
Back