Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

EGR Tube Tick is Gone!

Thanks. This means I now have to check my fitting even though I'm not having any tick issues...lol!
  2. L

first snow observations of 5.0 AWD

Try some dedicated snow tires. It will be a totally different vehicle.
  3. L

not smooth idle

Ever get this figured out? I have the same thing going on.
  4. L

1999 Seat replacement?

If by "steam clean," you mean one of those Little Green Machines, that probably isn't going to cut it. That will need 'real' steam generation and extraction, along with a shock treatment with an ozone generator. May have to cough up a few Ben Franklins at a competent detailing shop. You can...
  5. L

5.0L V8 AWD ... Noisy Front Diff???

Dead thread that had your interest, number: 160,021. :mad::D
  6. L

O2 sensors

Ok, I keep getting warnings that I haven't posted any topics lately, so here's my experience tonight. I'm in the process of replacing all of my U joints and doing the rebuild on the front driveshaft. I've also been wrestling with a lumpy idle after warmup. I did all of the routine checks to no...
  7. L

Codes and Sputtering! HELP!

Bad throttle position sensor vs maf sensor?
  8. L

Front end knock/thud when turning and accelerating?

A clunk on light acceleration or when slowing down can be the slip yoke splines on the main driveshaft need cleaned and regreased. Google TSB 04-23-7. It's for a ranger but also applies to an Explorer. I had the same problem. Easy job but you need a special Ford blue teflon grease to do it...
  9. L

Front end knock/thud when turning and accelerating?

Could be a CV not liking the new angle put on it by the tortion twist height adjustment.
  10. L

Headlight Adjustment While Driving?

If you are into radio controlled model cars and aircraft, you could probably figure out a way to rig some servos to the headlight adjusters but you would need a transmitter/receiver/servos/ and would be quite a project. Or maybe you could find some slow movement, high torque hobby motors and go...
  11. L

Headlight assembly

Yeah, been doing it for about 20 years now. I do it on the side, so not a full time job but seems like it at times.:) I use Dewalt 849 rotary, and PC 7424 DA and mostly Meguiar's products. I evaluate a lot of different products and keep up with the latest technology at Autopia (dot) org.
  12. L

Headlight assembly

Thanks folks. @pbnj22. Yeah, the lenses are now 14y/o and are getting quite dim even with Silverstar bulbs. I detail vehicles so I keep the lens covers polished pretty well, but I can see the weathering inside and the "chrome" reflectors pitting and fading. I have a Limited so I was looking...
  13. L

Headlight assembly

I'm in the market for new headlight assemblies, but not wanting to do tons of work like HIDs or other fabrications. Has anyone tried the Anzo Crystal #111040? The only reviews I can find are on Amazon and most just say that it "looks nice" on the vehicle, and one review states that the light...
  14. L

Basic question about coolant drain and fill

Dewey. Good advice. Exactly what I was going to say.
  15. L

Driving me crazy!!!

It is your camshaft position sensor synchronizer. They will start chirping when they are getting dry internally. The shaft that goes into the block looks like a distributor shaft. It sits under the coil packs. You got off light just replacing the idler pully. I replaced the waterpump before I...
  16. L

Rear brake pad changout..

Nice to know. May want to use new rotors or have them turned or you'll get some nasty sounding grinding, at least till the untouched areas on the existing rotors are leveled out.
  17. L

Differential & Transfer Case Fluid

Redline Synthetic in the diff and you won't need a friction modifier. Also, you don't need a gasket for the diff cover. Just clean the mating surfaces well and make sure there is no old gasket material remaining. Use Blue silicone sealant/gasket maker. Works great.
  18. L

From Differential Fluid Change W/ TC As well.

I respectfully disagree. I changed mine out after 100K miles and it was a nasty green colored soup that you couldn't pass light through when I put the drained fluid in a two-litre soda bottle. I've never driven in deep water. I replaced it with Redline Synthetic and didn't need a friction...
  19. L

Possible bearing noise in front end

How did this saga end? Was it the front drive shaft? I'm chasing a very similar sounding problem. Thanks.
  20. L

Front Wheel Bearing Ford Explorer

How did the tire rotation help? Did you have a tire that was out of balance? I'm trying to track down a wobble noise that sounds like a clothes washer on spin cycle. Been going on a while now and I seem to recall it being present through several tire rotations without improvement. Hub bearings...
  21. L

Removing driver side upper control arm bolt

Good idea but I believe the bolt is oriented that way as a safety feature. That way if the nut comes off the bolt can't back it's way out and cause the upper control arm to fly off. :eek:
  22. L

Removing driver side upper control arm bolt

Just pull the lines out of the plastic clips and I believe there is also a hold down clip bolting the lines to the frame, somewhere in that area.
  23. L

CV half shaft?

Hi folks. 1999 Explorer AWD. I get a "wub wub" noise after approx 30mph. Sounds like a washing machine on spin cycle. It will stop for a split second if I go over a hump in the road, like at a crowned intersection. New front wheel hub bearings, and recent change of upper/lower ball joints and...
  24. L

Do I need torque drive synthetic and ATF ?

The Owner's manual says Mercon. You don't want Mercon V. I did this job the other day. Bought Valvoline ATF Dexron III/Mercon. Works great. Make sure you can remove the upper fill plug before removing the lower drain plug, cause it would be a biatch if you drain the fluid out then can't get...
  25. L

Fluid change (looking for a how to) and what to buy

Sorry to bring back a dead thread but this may help a future reader. The hard starting might be from loose fuel hose clamps on the fuel pump in the tank. There are several cheap "pinch" type clamps which come loose allowing gas to drain back into the tank instead of remaining in the line ready...
Back