Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Truck pulling to the right

Pulling 2 right If that doesn't work replace both brake hoses. They connect 2 the caliper. They can go bad internally w/o seeing visable damage. When one goes bad it swells and the other one grabs more, making it pull. I say replace both because it sounds like your left one is bad. Replacing...
  2. T

brakes are brabad

As little info that you gave sounds 2 me like the master cylinder. alot of shops offer free brake inspections. Master cylinders are not that hard 2 replace. Alot of info here on that.
  3. T

92 explorer brakes

Pull the plug that goes into the power booster with line still attached. If you have a strong vaccum at the plug, you have a bad power booster.
  4. T

Brake Trouble

Brake problem It could be the front or the rear. 2 check which one is causing the vib.. Get on a flat , straight part of the road. Get up 2 about 35-40 and slowly push on the emer. brake. If you don't get a vib. , then it is the front as the emer. brake only works on the rear. Caution, don't...
  5. T

brakes at high speed

Check all front end part's. Also replace brake hose's on front end as they can go bad internally .
  6. T

Brake Problems?

Brake problem The pulling is probably from the rubber brake hoses . Does the master cyl. still have fluid? Change both hoses.New pads,rotor's and caliper's. Then Bleed. If pedal still goes to the floor , new master. TB3
  7. T

trouble w brakes

Help with breaks Sounds like you have gotten a bad master cylinder from the parts store . It does happen ! With it running and in park , pump up the pedal about 5-6 times until hard. Does the pedal start easing down to the floor ? If so bad master ! TB3!
  8. T

HELP!! drum wont fit/parking brake problem? WILL PAYPAL $$

Rear parking brake You don't have to cut anything. Sure the emer. brake cable lines need to be replaced . Until then disconnect the emer. brake bar from the shoe on that side. The shoe should then come in to the knob. Hope this helps, Tommy!
  9. T

pull to the left when braking

Pulling to the left If it's pulling to the left when braking and calipers are not stuck. You have a bad right side brake hose. The rubber hose that bolts on the caliper. They will swell when bad. Change both sides as putting a new one on the r. will put more pressure on left, which will then...
  10. T

brake vibration update and question

You can check if it's the front or back by going about 20 mph and slowly pushing on the emerg. brake. slowly push untill you start 2 feel drag. Emerg. brake only works back brake's. If no stop ,go feel, then it's front. You can have brand new on front and when after 20 mins. or so of driving you...
  11. T

stuck drums

Drums On the front side. Smack the edge at 3 o'clock, 9 , 12 , 6. Repeat a few times and it should break free of the axle. hope this helps,TB!
  12. T

1991 Explorer pedal to the floor!!! HELP!!

Brakes You probably have it fixed by now but here are some facts. All the answers are true . #1 If the booster was bad the pedal would be hard when running. #2 If you bench bled the master and then all the wheels and the pedal is still soft or low then #3. your rear brakes are not adjusted...
  13. T

Brake shoe cracking question

Cracks The cracks are most likley coming from excessive heat.Did you have the drums turned when you put on new shoes? That disapates heat.Does anyone drive with one foot on gas,the other on brake? That will cause excess heat. Finnally cheap shoes.
  14. T

New drum brake noise

Brake noise And to make sure it's coming from the back. Take the car to the parking lot and find a straight path that you can get up to about 25-30 . Then slowly push down on the emer. brake(foot off gas) untill it creates a slow drag. The emer. brake only works the back. Repeat, if it doesn't...
  15. T

94 Explorer Brake Work - Ready to tackle?

Bleeding Still the easiest way is on the car because he is actually using the brake pedal to plunge it in and out. But like he's showing, if you don't have the kit in the box you would have to get plugs for the brake line hole's. you can also bench bleed w/o plugs. fill it up,put top on,put...
  16. T

Rotor Sticking

Tryin Try this.With caliper still on . Crack open the bleeder screw and take the other end of your tire tool and put it in between the inner pad and caliper piston. Pry the piston in to see if it moves and fluid comes out. If it moves, try to close the bleeder screw before fluid stops coming...
  17. T

Rotor Sticking

Rubber flex hoses Yes as wood said. The hoses that attach 2 the caliper can go bad internally. When 1 goes bad on an other wise good brake system it will swell when trying 2 brake and pull steering wheel to good hose. Always change both as new one will put xtra pressure on old 1. Try that first...
  18. T

Let's try again I didn't say screw in the hoses. Read it again. The box the M/C came in should have 2 plastic fittings that will screw into the side of the M/C. Where you took the lines off of.Screw those fittings in and attach hoses 2 them.Then put the other end of hoses in M/C after filling...
  19. T

Bleeding the M/C They should have 2 plugs that you screw into the M/C where the lines hook up along with 2 hoses. Instead of bench bleeding , put the M/C on the car. Screw in the plugs and attach hoses . Fill the M/C and hold the hoses , one in each reservoir. Have someone slowly press pedal 2...
  20. T

Stupid Brake Question?

Trying On emr brake. When you "set" it . did it go to the floor or at least stop halve way? With eng. running it won't pump up??? Either a hell of air in lines or bad master. assuming no leaks. On ABS not sure as this is old school tech.. I am not your ABS man as I worked on Non ABS at Midas...
  21. T

Stupid Brake Question?

More advice Push the emergency brake pedal down slowly untill hard and see how far it goes down . That will tell you if your back brakes are adjusted right as the emer. only works the back. #2 Crank it up and pump the brake pedal 4-5 times and hold. Does the pedal go on down? If so could be...
  22. T

muffler suggestions?!

Muffler Back when I was at midas they had what was called a "Glass pack", Do not get anything close 2 that. Very, Very loud . I think a flow master was close 2 medium sound.
  23. T

muffler suggestions?!

Muffler Hi Tommy here. As an ex midas muffler man. (9 yrs.) I haven't worked on muffler's since 86. If you go to them they should be able to suggest one for you. Hope this helps,Tommy.
  24. T

Tommy

Can see harness where I can disconect fuel pump 2 check for fire 2 fuel pump. All I have is 2 prong ac/dc power light. Ground 1 end 2 frame and other in slots 1 by 1?
  25. T

intermittent brake squeak

No, even if supposed 2 be new could be squeal tabs on pads touching rotor,check it.
Back