Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

PATS Anti-Theft Delete - big news!

Might I suggest a 99-01 Ranger with a 99-01 Explorer 5.0L swap? :)
  2. P

PATS Anti-Theft Delete - big news!

Hey guys, I have some really exciting news! We can now delete PATS on pretty much any Explorer and Ranger PCM. In the past, there were certain Explorers that just couldn't be done. Especially the 01-03 Explorer Sport Tracs, as well as some Explorers and Rangers. But also some Focus and...
  3. P

4r70w Swap Speedo wiring

In a 2003 Explorer V8, the Output Shaft Speed Sensor (OSS) sends a raw signal to the PCM. The PCM is in charge of processing this raw input, and turning it into a MPH value. Then the PCM shares this MPH with other modules as needed over the network. This sensor is likely just in charge of the...
  4. P

How to: Ford Explorer - Ranger TPS Test Procedure

When you have no power at WOT, the problem is either going to be a dirty or bad MAF, low fuel pressure, or a plugged exhaust (melted cat typically). Using a scantool, drive it, floor it, and watch for MAF voltage to jump to at least 4 volts. Watch for the O2 sensors to go to rich (.9v). If you...
  5. P

When you have no power at WOT, the problem is either going to be a dirty or bad MAF, low fuel pressure, or a plugged exhaust (melted cat typically). Using a scantool, drive it, floor it, and watch for MAF voltage to jump to at least 4 volts. Watch for the O2 sensors to go to rich (.9v). If you...
  6. P

What is the truck doing wrong? Does it have any codes or a check engine light on? You might want to make a new thread if it's not TPS related.
  7. P

If you don't have a wiring diagram, it's easy to tell what's what with some simple voltage checks. Take a multimeter and connect the black lead to battery negative. Then backprobe each of the three wires. A sewing T-pin makes a very good backprobe, and you can buy a box of them at Walmart in the...
  8. P

How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

I found using a baby sledge to smack the side of the control arms helped shock the ball joints loose from the vibration. That, and spreading the pinch bolt far enough apart and soaking it with PB blaster.
  9. P

Rough idle and "Check Engine Soon" light - FIXED

Don't toss those original coils just yet. They're probably way better than any parts store coils, and they aren't cheap. The only thing that goes bad in a newer coil pack are generally the plugs themselves or the coil boot and spring. What kills coils are misfires (such as bad plugs or bad...
  10. P

The thing about coils is they generally don't go bad, on their own. Especially coil on plug, since there's 8 of them. That gives them 8x more rest time than a traditional single coil. What kills a coil is high resistance... bad plug wire, spark plug, big plug gap from worn plugs, etc. The...
  11. P

Quit while you're ahead. Seriously. If you don't have good diagnostic skills and the right tools, you'll guess yourself into poverty. If you must move forward, start with the basics. Pull codes. Check fuel pressure. Make sure it's running on all 8 cylinders. Check the air filter. Clean the MAF.
  12. P

Not this same one. The 4.6 2V generally all had about the same upper intake manifold, and this elbow was pretty common to all the 2V engines. The 3V may have it's own issues. Just inspect every part that's rubber, between the air filter box and the intake manifold, including any hoses that...
  13. P

Don't waste your money. Only replace them if they go bad, and always use genuine Motorcraft. What makes them go bad is bad spark plugs or plug boots, causing the coils to work harder and they overheat themselves. The problem isn't really the coil.
  14. P

The RF noise capacitor?? Interesting. I don't think I've ever had to replace one. I would love to get my scope on that ignition circuit with the bad capacitor and see what it's doing.
  15. P

I'm not against removing the throttle body. But I'm also lazy to want to go to the store and buy a new gasket. So what I do is take a string of about 6 paper towels, wad them up in the shape of a wringed out towel about a 8" long, and insert it into the intake behind the throttle plate. Then I...
  16. P

If it's running bad, it's probably going to boil down to one of 4 things. 1) An electronic issue, such as an O2 sensor problem. Have your buddy log LTFT and STFT at idle, and again at 2500 RPM for both banks. 2) A secondary ignition issue. In this truck, that means coil boots and...
  17. P

P0113 is the Intake Air Temp circuit high. This usually means you turned the key on while the IAT sensor was unplugged. If not, it could mean a break in the wire or a bad IAT. My guess is that you unplugged it while doing diagnostics and it set that code. P1504 is a code for the IAC circuit...
  18. P

Oh, and what are the STFT and LTFT?
  19. P

Harry, don't throw parts at this thing. You will be sorely disappointed, and kicking yourself for spending hundreds and not fixing it. If you must throw money at the problem, throw it at paying someone to diagnose your car properly (and that means a GOOD technician, not just any mechanic). Or...
  20. P

How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

You do have the spindle loose, so there's some place for the axle to go, right? Beating on that axle, you could easily damage the CV joint as well as mushroom the end of it. Heat will also most likely damage the axle. But if you can't get it out, you could always take the entire axle and...
  21. P

The PCV tube will be a large rubber hose running from one of the valve covers to the intake manifold somewhere. They've talked about it elsewhere on this site, and there's probably pictures in those threads. You can probably test it by spraying a small amount of carb cleaner or brake cleaner...
  22. P

4.6L Explorer engine timing chain ooops!

The starter problem could be a bad ignition switch, but these year Explorers had an issue with some wiring rubbing on the oil filter drainage shield's back edge. One of the wires in that small bundle that rubs the shield edge is the small starter solenoid wire. Thats the wire that runs from the...
  23. P

How to: Quick and Easy 2nd gen Blend Door Replacement Tutorial

The system is comprised of the Auto or manual A/C Controller, the blend door actuator, and the blend door itself. I would imagine the blend door itself is the most common problem, since the plastic hinge cracks and the actuator just spins inside the blend door. The next most likely suspect is...
  24. P

4.6L Explorer engine timing chain ooops!

It's no big deal. Even if the cams rotated fast under spring tension, I doubt there would be enough energy behind that to bend a valve. You will of course have to re-time everything. There is a cam timing tool kit that OTC makes for about $100 that gives you all the factory tools. But in the...
  25. P

2002 Ford Explorer making grinding noise when coasting

I've had a problem with lug nuts coming loose on these aluminum wheels too, after having them off for service. Make sure when you put wheels back on, you go back after some miles and tighten them up again. Maybe more than once. You can also originally tighten them, loosen them, and tighten them...
Back