Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Best Repair Manual - Chilton vs. Haynes

Looking to pick up a repair manual for my 2003 Explorer - I have to do a complete engine pull and then plan to drop a used engine that I am going to eventually buy in the truck (since mine is gifted with the timing chain death rattle) but looking for opinions as to which manual has better step...
  2. D

Don't buy 3rd Gen with 4.0L

I have a 2003 Explorer with 155k that has just been sitting in my driveway for a year since I have no time/ability to pull an engine and am not sinking a few thousand into the truck. Figure I will just buy a used engine, try to do the repairs prematurely before putting the used engine in the X...
  3. D

6 Cyl - Blown Headgasket, HELP!

Well, after just spending $1000 last month to have my timing chain tensioner replaced, my Explorer just blew a headgasket. I have read about it, and done headgaskets on other vehicles, but I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a write up posted anywhere with step by step instructions on...
  4. D

03 4.0L Timing Chain Noise?

Once all of those are removed, do I need to remove anything else? The sound seems like it is coming from the front side of the motor, so I am assuming this would be the chain tensioner in the front? The sound was prevalent after a warm start, but only when revved up from the 2500-3200ish RPM...
  5. D

I have 174,000 on the motor, I haven't had time to pull the belt off and check but it doesn't make the noise at start up and is much quieter when revved up to around 3000rpms when cold. Is there a sticky with instructions on how to change the tensioner? How long about does it take?
  6. D

So before I get flamed for not using the search button and people posting the infamous 'google that' link, I would like to start by saying that I have read tons of posts on here and am just trying to confirm what I have found. I have a 2003 with a 4.0L motor. I have all of a sudden as of the...
  7. D

2003 Explorer Coolant & Heat Mystery!

I think I fixed it, the clamp on the lower radiator hose looked like it was kind of loose. I replaced that as well as the thermostat and the gaskets. I let the truck warm up and didn't have a single bit of overheating at all and the heat got hot as soon as the truck read at normal operating...
  8. D

2003 Explorer Coolant & Heat Mystery!

Anybody with input is greatly appreciated at this point as I am getting extremely frustrated with my truck. I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT with the 4.0L 6 cylinder. The truck has been having coolant loss issues for the past month or so and I for the life of me can not figure out what is going...
  9. D

Bucking & Engine Code's on 03 XLT

How complicated/difficult is it to replace the harmonic balancer?
  10. D

Would the coil pack being bad explain the miss on all 3 in addition to the chirping sound and the truck lagging?
  11. D

After checking the plug wires, it looks like they are all going to the right cylinders. Also, when the service engine soon light comes on, it almost seems like the trans is hesitant to shift and a little chirp sound has happened once or twice.
  12. D

I re-read the codes to make sure those were the right ones I had remembered, and they were not. Edited initial post with right codes. If anyone can help, greatly appreciated.
  13. D

Alright everyone, hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I saw an 03 Explorer today at a local dealership and it looked super clean - stopped in and got a pretty good deal on it. It is a 2003 Explorer XLT v6 with 160k on it. The dealer had all service records and the truck was...
  14. D

HELP: Temp gauge / Coolant / Heat Issue!

Does this sound like it could be what was going on? I am just very apprehensive because I have an hour ride home from work and dont want to wind up stranded! Does this seem like it could just be a lack of coolant issue as opposed to maybe a stat, or HG issue?
  15. D

HELP: Temp gauge / Coolant / Heat Issue!

Alright everyone anyyyy help at all will be greatly appreciated at this point. I have a 98 with the 5.0L and I was on my way to work this morning and my coolant was fluctuating between the normal operating range, and about 3/4 of the way up. As I was driving my heat would be hot while in the...
  16. D

Front Driveshaft Removal

My X (AWD) is making a sound similar to the one in this video I found posted on the forum: http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/benjaminflick/?action=view&current=515ac24c.mp4 I am fairly confident that it is the Front Driveshaft but can someone tell me how involved it is to...
  17. D

Rattling Shaking Noise - HELP PLEASE

Alright everyone, any input and or help here would be GREATLY appreciated. I have a 98 Explorer with a 5.0L in it and I have had a noise going on in my truck for a little while and I have had zero luck with anyone at all being able to help me figure out what is going on. When I am driving, the...
  18. D

AC Leak / Only Blowing Hot!

After it was re-charged, the AC did blow cold...From the way it was explained to me, if the blend door was stuck, the AC wouldn't have blown cold at all right?
  19. D

How would I be able to tell if there is a hole in the accumulator? Would I physically be able to see the hole if it is losing 1.7 pounds of freon in a day?
  20. D

I have no idea what it looks like, I am at work 45 miles away from my truck. Projected high of 88º today in Jersey - I opted to take the Civic, can't beat 40mpg and AC for a commuter car on a day like today :)
  21. D

Is that can something I could buy an aftermarket replacement at like AutoZone or Advanced? Or is that something I would need to get at a dealer / junkyard only - and if this is bad, would that explain why my truck is blowing HOT air?
  22. D

How much of a PITA is it to change out the can? Also, when I had the system charged my mechanic changed out the little things that look like the part of a valve stem that screws in and out of the high and low side - are those schraeder valves?
  23. D

I was under the impression that leaking all of the freon in less than a solid 24 hours was a pretty substantial leak and was told that the super sealer stuff would most likely be a waste of money for a leak that quick. How involved is it to take the blower motor out? Would I have to pull the...
  24. D

Alright guys, I had a funky little problem occur over the past couple days and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I have a 98 Explorer, and the AC hasn't worked since the day I got it in November. Didn't bother me all year, now as its hitting 90º here in Jersey lately -...
  25. D

Tie Rod End Replacement? Help...

Tony, great video...thanks! When doing the upper control arms should I get a new camber kit to go with the new control arms or is it sufficient to use the old one?
Back