Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Tarpman

oil consumption

Just picked up my truck today with the correct engine installed. Believe me I checked everything, namely the metal tag on drivers side that has part number and rebuild date stamped on it. The problem I have now is they say that warranty is only for the remainder of my previous warranty, which is...
  2. Tarpman

How to: Cold air in glove box -OR- No air flow from vents on Max AC - Here's a workaround

It pops off. I get my fingures under the lip at the windshield side near outside ends, and pull up gently. When you pop the hood, you can see the part of it that pops into firewall.
  3. Tarpman

oil consumption

Yes the engine was installed and bought from a local dealership near me. From day one they have never wanted to assume responsibility as far as the warranty goes and oil consumption problem. A couple of different people who work there acknowledge that there is a problem but they weren't somebody...
  4. Tarpman

oil consumption

Been a while. Ford never replaced the engine, and I've got 5 months of warranty left. Doesn't matter now though. I changed plugs at 50,000 miles that factory had installed prior to shipping out motor. They were the wrong plugs. #5 cylinder was really bad , brunt oil built up electrode almost...
  5. Tarpman

Frnt. pre-runner/winch for your 3rd gen

SUL73NAZ do you have pictures of your bumper? Weight? A friend of mine has an off-road fabrication business, and owes me some trade work. My only problem with him is he thinks I'm stupid for wanting to do things like this to an Explorer. Lol because it's not a Jeep Cherokee. His is really trick...
  6. Tarpman

How to: 1.5" body lift for less than $50

I like it. Looks really good. Ive got to get off my ass and do the same.lol
  7. Tarpman

3rd gen pic's

Don't know why, but this made me laugh. Thanks
  8. Tarpman

Parking brake adjustment

If the parking brake pedal goes all the way to the floor, and shoes don't hold vehicle. Then I would say you probably need to adjust them (shoes) out more. Maybe I missed something? Just did this on mine. It is a PIA. I was tired of it not working. Works great now, but took me about 2 hours to...
  9. Tarpman

need advice, factory rebuilt or rebuild existing tranny?

If you read the thread by "Electrician" "how to beef up 5R55w/5R55s transmission ". It tells about it (eliminating cold start valve) . Sound to me like it restricts flow until the transmission reaches certain temp. So there is no fluid flow until then. I don't know for sure. Just looking for...
  10. Tarpman

Yes, my friend also said they don't always replace solenoids. Only if they're bad
  11. Tarpman

I've got 335,000 miles on my Explorer. My transmission is working okay, but I'm assuming I'll be getting a new one this year sometime, at least planning for it money wise. It has the shutter and I'm thinking it's starting to slip once in a while, just don't want to be stuck somewhere with kids...
  12. Tarpman

Full Synthetic Oil

Mobil 1 synthetic and Motorcraft filter from wally world.
  13. Tarpman

03 Exp. XLT A/C clicking sound

Its a blend door actuator. There is 2 of them, 1 for temp and 1 to direct air flow. i had a bad 1 for about three years and decided to replace it finally on a really hot day. After I got the right part at parts store, it took me about 20 minutes. I don't know why I waited sooo long. I would say...
  14. Tarpman

Keep or sell????

I feel the same way. My Explorer has 330,000 miles on it, mostly highway miles. Everything is original except engine which lasted almost 280,000 miles and rear diff which I had rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago. I'd like to have a camp trailer but I wouldn't tow it more than 4 or 5 times a year...
  15. Tarpman

some wheel and strut help please

I kinda think some or all jeeps are 5 on 4.5, don't take my word for it. If they are probably wouldn't be able to go with factory wheel though unless center hole on wheel was same as explorer, seems like hub bore is 70.5 mm I think. Someone else could chime in. You can run 265/75/16 or 265/70/16...
  16. Tarpman

I'm definitely sold on 1.5" body lift. Looks good. Just realized you got the MB wheels I was about to buy then changed my mind and got the MB Chaos 5's instead. Those wheels, look great on there, nice choice.
  17. Tarpman

which transfer case do i have

Call the dealer, parts department. Give them your Vin # and that will tell them all the spec's on your truck
  18. Tarpman

I think it looks good with that size tire, but I think I'd put the bigger ones on also. I put a small metal spacer on top of front struts to try and level it. Almost worked, but I have enough stud left on top of the strut for another 1/2" spacer so I'll have 1" in there total and I think that'll...
  19. Tarpman

Bgreen92, I like the way it sits. What size tires are on there now? just wondering because I'd like to put the 1.5" or 3' BL on mine and I'm running 265/70/16 right now but will go back to the 75's when I need to get new tires.
  20. Tarpman

How To: Upgrade and Beef-up 5R55W/S Transmissions

I take you still change it periodically, just not as often since your changing the external one. Is it hard to get that deep pan off? I'm going to be getting my tranny rebuilt in next few months and I'm going to print out everything you did and see what it'll cost me to have it done at a local...
  21. Tarpman

How To: Upgrade and Beef-up 5R55W/S Transmissions

When you run the auxiliary filter do you still run the one inside the pan?
  22. Tarpman

BWM Brown Wire Mod 3rd Gen

Same here, just not as long as Kazer. Somewhere in here someone said there wasn't enough power going through switch to justify a relay. I like it, except the part when my wife keeps asking "what's that thing for again". Lol
  23. Tarpman

5R55W Fluid Fill

I have an 03 with the 5R55S in it. My dilemma, it has about 325000 miles on it and I haven't changed fliud and filter like I should have but has been done a couple of times. I know fluid is dark but should I change it anyway? I've been told by different mechanics I should do it because the new...
  24. Tarpman

Help Identifying Coolant Line

I bet it's refrigerant, with dye in it. My son's car leaked refrigerant at compressor but it looked like coolant because of green dye. But if yours is like mine, the coolant is gold Brian
  25. Tarpman

Solved Transmission and Axle codes.

My transmission code says "V" which is supposed to be 5R55S, but I've read other things that says its 5R55W. Its a 2003 XLT 4X4 4.0. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks
Back