Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Timing Cover Coolant Leak: Can coolant leak into oil pan?

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I do appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I had already suspected I would have to change the oil based on some videos I have seen where some of coolant and even pieces of the gasket made their way into the oil pan when the...
  2. C

I am sorry it didn't cross my mind to include some info about the truck. :banghead: I have a 2000 model with the 3.0L V6 OHV engine, RWD and manual transmission. It is the model with the flex fuel configuration. I haven't done any work to the truck yet, so I am just trying to have a better idea...
  3. C

I have had a coolant leak at the timing chain cover, and I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me if there can be a leak inside the cover as well that would make its way into the oil pan. This leak has been going on for a while, and I haven't noticed any signs of coolant/oil mix on the...
  4. C

Alternator Upgrade from 95 Amp to 130 Amp

Thank you! I will take a look at the posts you provided and hopefully they will answer all my questions.
  5. C

Alternator Upgrade from 95 Amp to 130 Amp

I was wondering if some of you guys could share some thoughts on upgrading the stock 95Amp alternator to the 130Amp unit. I have a 2000 Ford Ranger with the 3.0L engine whose alternator is getting close to replaced. I have read a few posts on the upgrade, but I can't find any information from...
  6. C

Strange "Blob" inside the cowl cavity under the hood grille.

I still don't know what that is. The picture does look like a snake. However, I would expect a snake to have decomposed by now unless it ate something in that cavity that help it maintain its shape. Is that even possible? I don't know anything about snakes. The other possibility is some type of...
  7. C

Strange "Blob" inside the cowl cavity under the hood grille.

I have been chasing a water leak from rain or car wash on the passenger side foot well. The leak is the result of water dripping inside the cavity by the hood (cowl) where the windshield wiper mechanism is located. As I was pouring water down into that cavity with a garden hose, I noticed that...
  8. C

Water leak on passenger side by air vent box outlet hose

Has anybody here had to deal with a water leak on the passenger side right where the air vent box (under the dashboard) connects to the firewall and to that outlet hose on the engine side of the firewall? I ran some water with a garden hose on top of the cowl grille towards the passenger side...
  9. C

Coolant change fluid type

I have been using Prestone on my 2000 Ford Ranger for over 10 years now. I did a 60/40 (Prestone/water) mix with distilled water. You have to buy the "concentrated" bottle. I was not aware of the different coolant starting in mid 2002 as reported above. If you can find the Motorcraft version...
  10. C

Rear Window Leak Repair With 3M Butyl Tape

I should have included a note on that. The third brake light is not leaking. I have been checking it. I put a sheet of paper towel in there as part of my troubleshooting while looking for the leaks.
  11. C

Rear Window Leak Repair With 3M Butyl Tape

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger with the regular cab body style. The truck has a solid back windows/glass which developed a leak sometime ago. This past weekend I decided to take care of the leak and got a roll of 3M Butyl tape with the 5/16-in diameter. I removed the whole assembly and cleaned...
  12. C

Evap Charcoal Canister Assembly Part Identification

Could anybody in the group tell me what the retangular plastic box attached to the charcoal canister assembly is?
  13. C

fueling 1992 ranger two wheel drive

The ranger has a breather hose, so if it stops too soon when you are filling up, I would check the breather hose as suggested by 974X4BLACKSPORT. That hose may be clogged from an internal collapse that you just don't see from the outside. Just make sure internal pieces of the hose don't make...
  14. C

fueling 1992 ranger two wheel drive

Do you mind telling what hose you are stating it was sucked in and had to be replaced?
  15. C

Evap Code P0453

I have been troubleshooting a P0453 code (Evaporative Control System Pressure Sensor High Input), and I was wondering if any of you guys have dealt with that code before. I decided to start with a bench test of the evap purge valve, the canister vent valve and the charcoal canister itself. The...
  16. C

ATF+4 in 5-speed Manual Transmission?

I am running Motorcraft Mercon V in my manual transmission and also in my power steering. I live in the south, and it has worked well for me.
  17. C

Spark Plug Wire Set: Two wires with the same length

This is a question more out of curiosity than technical concern. I got a Motorcraft wire set for my V6 3.0 Ranger from an eBay seller earlier in the Fall in preparation for some work/tune-up I am doing now. Upon receiving the box, I checked to make sure I had 6 wires in it, and that they were...
  18. C

Fan Clutch: Aftermarket Market Brands

How many miles have you driven with that Hayden fan clutch? I didn't considered that brand until you mentioned it, so I decided to read some reviews online. I read some complaints on Dodge models using some of the Hayden thermal fan clutches. Issues with premature failure as far as not engaging...
  19. C

Fan Clutch: Aftermarket Market Brands

I am getting ready to replace the water pump on my ranger and as part of that work I know I should also replace the fan clutch. While I opted for an OEM/Motorcraft water pump, I am asking myself if I should grab an OEM fan clutch or if some of the aftermarket units would be as good. Do any of...
  20. C

Fuel Pump Selection and Wheelbase Size

What is the meaning of the wheelbase size in the selection of a fuel pump assembly and in some cases a fuel pump itself? Is that about wire length or the dimensions of the assembly? I have a flex fuel ranger with a regular cab configuration (wheelbase 112") that was diagnosed as having a weak...
  21. C

O2 Sensors: Pre- and Post-Cat Voltage Readings

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0 Flex Fuel (V) with 134K miles that has started running rough and thrown a few ODBII codes. Although the codes are O2 sensor related, I have been told by other forums members in the past that the codes alone don't tell the whole story, so I got a hold of an OBDII...
  22. C

Transmission Flush: Manual X Automatic

Do Ford dealerships flush manual transmissions in the same way automatic transmissions are flushed using a flushing machine? Here is the reason for my question. I was at a local dealership earlier this week and while there I asked for a quote on some services I need done to my truck. Among...
  23. C

Canister Purge Valve Hose Fitting: How to Disconnect it?

I have a 2000 Ranger with a 3.0 L V6 Flex-Fuel with a couple of bad hoses I am trying to replace. Among them I have the canister purge valve solenoid rubber hoses. That solenoid uses 2 rubber hoses: one that connects to the intake manifold and one that connects to a line that goes to the back...
  24. C

Ranger 1998-2004+: Stock Radio Ports/Connections

On the back of a stock radio for a Ranger 1998-2004+ (maybe other years before/after that) there are 3 ports (connections). One is for the antenna, one for everything else, and one that is not connected to anything. What is this 3rd port/connection for?
  25. C

transmission fluid in radiator

I would get that transmission fluid checked to make sure you didn't get coolant in it. If that fluid is contaminated your transmission can get damaged. A friend of mine had a similar issue with a toyota tundra. In his truck the cooling line for the transmission fluid ran along the radiator...
Back