Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

Cant get the fuel filter off!! Help!?

Well I quit for now. I soaked it several times... I even wrapped some foil between the shaft on the filter and the removal tool, forcing the tool to fit tight against the 3 little springs/prongs. It feels like Im moving them as I can hear a clicking noise and feel it when I move the tool back...
  2. W

Im gonna let it sit for a little while and try again. If not then Im just gonna plug the other fuel line back on the old filter and say screw it. Im about ready to push it out of the garage and use a torch to help! :frustrate The pb blaster seemed to free things up a little as I could slide...
  3. W

Guess I'll try some PB blaster. I've tried pushing the line toward the filter. I've used a pliers to lay flat against the tool, applying even pressure against the flanges of the tool. With the leverage of the pliers and a flat head screwdriver to help push/pry, I can assure the tool is all...
  4. W

There doesn't appear to be any rust. I can spin the filter very easily, just can get it to release. I could see where the metal tool may work better as the plastic one tends to warp/bend when you push on the flanges. I'll see what I can do to make sure the entire tool is pushed completely in...
  5. W

Im using this tool: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H6P070/ref=asc_df_B000H6P0701674117?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-93-95-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B000H6P070 and attempting to change my fuel filter. I popped the filter out of the bracket, disconnected the little clips that are...
  6. W

How do I know if I have a limited slip rear end?

How do I know if I have a limited slip rear end? Im changing rear axle bearings and I know there's a difference in the oil that I need to put in. Is there a way to see this visually, or is it somewhere in a code on the door jam? Thanks Aaron
  7. W

How hard to change rear axle bearing??

Cool thanks for the info everyone!
  8. W

How hard to change rear axle bearing??

My wife was driving my explorer last week and said she hear a loud bang. I drove the explorer after and didn't notice any problem. There has been a bearing like roar developing from the rear however, and changing the axle bearings was on my list of things to do. Anyhow, I noticed yesturday...
  9. W

Is my rear diff. about to go?

My Explorer spt. has always had a little hum from the rear end. Nothing bad but sounds like tire noise, but its not. Anyhow, lately it seems as if the noise has increased slightly. Yesturday I was making about a 200 mile drive, and about an hour into it with the cruise set to 72, all of a...
  10. W

Round plastic ball in right front wheel well??

Great thanks for the info! Aaron
  11. W

Round plastic ball in right front wheel well??

I pulled down the black plastic inner fender on the passenger side to replace the hub/sensor, and to replace plugs/wires. When I dropped down the fender, a large plastic ball about the size of a softball fell down with it. It has two wires running to it. I have no idea what it is, but I would...
  12. W

Can someone help with this sound

If its a heat shield it could be just a loose fastener. Not sure what size bolt but something a basic wrench could take care of. If you have a safe way to get the vehicle jacked up and jack stands under, you can just look at the whole exhaust system and check for any loose pipes (not likely)...
  13. W

Loud roar from front end area...where to start??

My '01 Sport has slowly but surely developed a loud roar from the front end. It sounds as if the tires are very extreme mud tires, however they are basic all seasons. I would think a wheel hub/bearing is bad, however one was replaced about 10K miles ago and the other about 5K miles ago. I...
  14. W

What size speakers?

Alright thanks...
  15. W

What size speakers?

My '01 Sport is in need of new speakers. I dont want anything real high end/expensive. Just something that sounds nice and would be a small upgrade from stock, as 2 of them are blown. So with that said, is there a prefered size/upgrade that will fit directly in stock location? Thanks Aaron
  16. W

Replacing rear axle bearings, what do I need?

I already have the fluid/gasket, RTV, new brakes were recently installed, parking brake shoes are waiting to be installed, and yes, the kit has a number of sized drivers for the install. How straight forward of a job is this? Is there any guides online? Aaron
  17. W

Replacing rear axle bearings, what do I need?

My explorer has been loud for some time now, infact it sounds as if I have big mud tires and at highway speeds, it just roars. The front hubs/bearings have been replaced previously, so I am thinking its the rear axle shaft bearings. The truck has 145K miles on her so Im sure they are worn...
  18. W

Cracked & warped cylinder heads

If you do a search on Ebay you will likely find several companies that have remanufactured heads for sale. This is likely your best bet in terms of cost. Aaron
  19. W

Surging rpm at idle?

Anyone have any ideas where to start??? Its a lot like cam surge on a built motor. Almost a lunging idle....
  20. W

Surging rpm at idle?

For quite some time now the explorer has had a surging issue at idle. When Im in gear or if the engine is warm, its not an issue. The problem is only when I shift from drive to park with engine warm or cold, or when I shift from park to drive when the engine is cold. I will get about 5 surges...
  21. W

Rear brake pad removal?

Thanks much for the info! :D Aaron
  22. W

Rear brake pad removal?

Figured out the noise. There was a spring about 2.5-3in. long that had fallen off (I assume the parking brake assembly) and was between the dust shield and the rotor. Guess its time to replace the parking brake shoes now.. Aaron
  23. W

Rear brake pad removal?

Got them when trying again. But now there is a horrible scraping noise from the left rear, same side that was giving me problems. It took me all of 5 min. to get the right rear off/replaced. Does the parking brake use a pad that pushes against the inside of the rotor? I slid the left rear...
  24. W

Rear brake pad removal?

I guess those two bolts come out and then it slides off? I'll have to take another look I guess. Aaron
Back