Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

1994 Auto, changed fluid, now no 2nd gear, hard to upshift

I added a transmission fluid temp gauge today. I decided to install it in the side of the pan. So I dropped the pan, installed the sending unit out of the way of internal components, put a new gasket on and re-installed the pan. When I first started tightening bolts I heard a plastic click. I...
  2. L

Battery draining overnight, can't find the draw anywhere.

Case and point, I installed a new Alternator this morning and it doesn't charge at all. Voltage gauge reads on the "N" so draining and when I disconnect the battery the truck dies immediately. Re-installed the old alternator and we're charging well again. Another bad-out-of-the-box alternator...
  3. L

Aftermarket Headlights for first gen ex

Wow, I really like them, they would look awesome on my white ex but I don't think I can swing that much for headlights. They look great on your rig though!
  4. L

Aftermarket Headlights for first gen ex

Is that the $290 set they list?
  5. L

Lvin4jc's "Dora" Budget Trail Rig Build

That's all for now. My Shutz gun for the Raptorliner (great product) gets here Monday. The 4" lift for the front, Springs, Drop TTB Brackets, Drop Control Arm Brackets and Bilstein Shocks shows up in a couple of weeks. I'm fixing little interior issues, broken door handles etc. Also installing a...
  6. L

Today I decided that the front bumper would look better and give me more clearance if I removed the "Limited" plastic moulding. Step #1 Tear that sucker off! Oh, there's rust under there, who would have guessed that? Step #2 Flap Disc it down to steel Step #3 POR 15 The bumper as a...
  7. L

While i've been working on that I had my eye out for some new tires. In that time a friend of mine gave me some wheels for free. I love this style of wheel so that worked out really well, I owe that guy lunch! They're brand new with the stickers on them. He mounted a set of tires and it didn't...
  8. L

I then decided the best way to fix the bottom of the body was to bedliner that area. This isn't necessarily my favorite option because I think it's a bit overdone, but I have to admit I do like the look. I have done this to 2-3 of my own vehicles before and i've completely bedlinered the...
  9. L

The first thing i've always done with any truck i've bought with running boards is remove them. I don't think i've ever had a set of running boards last until the next day. So I pulled these off and discovered, well, there really aren't rocker panels anymore. While the paint is pretty decent and...
  10. L

Well I finally have a minute to start a build thread. This Explorer has been a lot of fun already and we're just getting started, heck, I haven't even gone off road yet, just preparing. Here she is the day I brought her home. Low, horrible ground clearance, front wheels were both about to fall...
  11. L

I did not know that they could fail in that way. I like the theory though, something belt-driven whines when I start it the first time for the day, especially on chillier mornings. It's working but i've been keeping my eye on it because I suspect the whine is the alternator. I haven't been able...
  12. L

I'll check it. Turns out it does drain after the new battery, just takes a couple of days now instead of overnight. I left it for four and it was totally dead again.
  13. L

I manually shifted T-case to 4hi and it slipped out after a week, fluke?

Ok, that's helpful information. I will probably just cruise around in 2 until I go wheeling and then get into 4LO which is what I would want to wheel in anyway. That's not a problem at all really until winter when some 4HI would be nice. Maybe i'll replace the shift motor by then or figure...
  14. L

I manually shifted T-case to 4hi and it slipped out after a week, fluke?

Ok, that was a long title, wasn't sure how else to say it, lol. My shift motor (probably) went out and I wanted to test 4x4 function so I removed the shift motor and just manually shifted it to 4HI. This seems very common according to what i've seen on this forum. This is a trail rig so my...
  15. L

Well it was in fact the battery. At least so far. I put that new one in and even after sitting for multiple days it starts right up now. Thanks everyone, I'll report back if I have more issues.
  16. L

Yeah I guess I was trying to go about it the opposite way of that. I believe that the problem is in the truck because like I said, when you disconnect it the battery can start the truck fine even a week later. I really don't want to start jacking up my new battery by completely draining it every...
  17. L

Oh the battery is a 2013 piece of junk. Looks like it came from Bob's battery company out of the back of a truck or something. But can it draw from itself? I unplugged some more things, alternator, lots of underhood stuff etc. Didn't come up with anything. So I took off the smaller power wire...
  18. L

My battery drains overnight, every night. But if I unhook the battery and let the truck sit for a week when I hook it back up it starts fine. So I checked for a draw with a multimeter. Last week I had something like a 00.12 amp draw (I have no stereo in the dash so the clock memory isn't even...
  19. L

No charge from Alternater.

Was the 3.4 volts read while the engine was running or with it turned off? I'm guessing it was while the engine was turned off and in that case yes, I would agree with your gut that the heat fried the battery. How old is this battery?
  20. L

92 Explorer no start.

Agreed. I'd be leaning towards fuel myself. How did you check it? Can you put a gauge on the fuel rail and record what pressure you're getting there? Also have you tried whacking the fuel tank real good? If you do that and it starts right up then it's a fuel pump. That trick doesn't always work...
  21. L

Got the bad news today, headgaskets...

Aftermarket temp gauge will be here tomorrow. Also have a friend that just bought a leakdown tester so i'll try that too. In the meantime, running well, still no misfire even with a cold start on a 38 degree morning. Sounds good and smooth. Factory temp gauge still wandering from O-L but never...
  22. L

Well, I drove it on today and did a few things on it. The first thing I did was to re-test the radiator with my tester kit. I tried and tried to get it to fail. It finally turned kind of a blue-green color. It starts blue and is supposed to turn yellow if it detects exhaust gasses. Not sure...
  23. L

Yeah, this. I guess i'll drive it a bit more and see how bad it really is. I guess I haven't considered a slightly blown head gasket before. In my mind they're good or bad. But this truck is running well so that does make me wonder if it's livable, or livable for a while anyway. What we were...
  24. L

Sorry for the confusion all. I ran a test with the blue test fluid through the radiator cap with the fancy turkey baster thing. We've used it for years to determine if a headgasket is bad. If you've never seen one they have a blue chemical that turns yellow in the presence of exhaust gasses...
  25. L

It's a 1994 Explorer limited auto trans. Well because when the antifreeze mixes with the oil the oil will lose lubricity and lock the engine up. That'd be my main concern. But it is running quite warm and it's like 50 degrees outside. I don't imagine it'll be driveable in the summer. I bought...
Back