Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

LOL.....have you read the whole thread..........It's been like 2 years and I still don't even have pics up.....No way will I ever get video up.....LOL.
  2. G

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

It's AWD....no room for headers......I am going to show how little I still know about this engine family......mine had the black plastic intake manifold that looked almost identical to the one I already had. I used the elbow from the 4.6 ( from the plastic manifold up). The coolant and fuel...
  3. G

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

edited.....posts this answered are gone
  4. G

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

used 4.6 manifolds AND stock y-pipe
  5. G

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

Yeah, the "magazine style" write up never happened- my ambition proved beyond my writing ability....the only real issue I faced was the exhaust y-pipe. so I cut the passenger side leg off about 4 inches from where they join, then once everything was fit I used a short(6" I think) flex pipe, cut...
  6. G

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

Really not much to look at, just a little wider than stock(Like maybe an inch)...like I said when I did the swap I couldn't beleive how absolutely simple and easy it was. Looks like it grew there, the only thing I never bothered with was the big plastic cover for the top of the engine.....all I...
  7. G

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

Never took pics, but I used the stock elbow/throttle setup from the mountaineer. bolts right on the 5.4 manifold as the flange is standard. used stock mountaineer, or mountaineer(explorer) spec parts for the intake side so fit was so close to perfect it didn't matter....
  8. G

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

yeah, I put it back in, used all the same parts as the first time, and no issues. no lean conditions, no misfires or anything. Been running it as it is for about 8 months. I finally am beginning to trust it again, LOL. Still funny to see people's reactions when I launch it hard from a red...
  9. G

'03 Mountaineer - "shudder" when turning

Just to cover all bases.......How old are your tires and have you been rotating them properly?.....The reason I am asking is if they are older tires and you don't know if they have been rotated as they should be, the may be of differing diameter and that will overheat the T-case, causing it to...
  10. G

reverse lights

could be the relay getting stuck on.
  11. G

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

after talking with my wife, we are going to wait to buy the x-3, and get the tune for it before I re-install the 5.4...cashflow being the limiter now.....want to get the cold air set-up, and pssibly a 5.4 MAF if they're different. Going to stay with the 5.4 as is for now. Wife also wants...
  12. G

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

5.8L? isn't that a different engine family?....As far as I knew there was the 5.0/5.8 and the "Mod" motors were the 4.6/5.4/6.8(V-10)......I never heard of a Mod 5.8L, but if it's the same on the outside as these two, then I want one!!LOL on another note, plans to buy a x-3 and get a tune...
  13. G

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

good fuel pressure, should be, new pump(less than 6 months old) and filter ....runs between 50-60psi(I can't see it any better while driving) ...I think the tune is the problem. I used my Hypertech flash programmer( standard 4.6L tunes) and other than the same differences on the 5.4 as it made...
  14. G

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

It looks like you were right, It needed more fuel. question is: why did the ECM not give it the extra fuel. the injectors and everything are the same, wouldn't think it would go lean like this.
  15. G

Looking for where to buy kleenex juniors? Check this out...

on the armrest, underneath is a spot, but the box won't fit...so we keep a small (travel size) container of baby wipes in it.
  16. G

Well that explains why I never found this one with a search...my Mounty doesn't have one, wrong year......neat feature tho.......
  17. G

dumb question, but where do these things go?? As my wife drives the Mounty as her daily ride(toting the kids around) a specific Kleenex holder would make her smile...
  18. G

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

I spent Friday putting the 4.6 back in it, then spent all day saturday cleaning and testing everything, finally located the bad coil. possible bad boot somewhere else, but one thing at a time. I'm not sure why it wouldn't identify it on the 5.4, but I put the other set of coils (-1 to replace...
  19. G

Condensation inside the spark plug holes

is the car garage kept? the reason I'm asking is if the fuel in the tank is cold, the fuel rails could be getting condensation on them, however I would think this shoud be minimal...really grasping at straws here. WOW is this a stumper!!!
  20. G

Condensation inside the spark plug holes

so how fast does it fill up?....for instance, if you dry it out, then drive it for a longer distance, how much water will be it it? to and from work daily( I'm assuming 5 days a week) for a total of 100 miles is not very far, 10 miles each way....is it 10 miles stop and go, or 10 miles at...
  21. G

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

It's been tuned, and no effect. flashed it back to stock(which ran fine for over 2 months) but got no better. I'll post when I figure it out. been fighting this for almost a month now. It's getting plenty of fuel, runs fine at WOT, miss is INTERMITENT at low rpm, under load, and less often...
  22. G

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

No pics yet, having serious camera issues. However, the ONLY fab work I ran into was on the exhaust y pipe.....specifically, I added a piece of flex to mine to allow it to line up to the manifolds. Also, I used the elbow/throttle body assembly off the 4.6 so everything would line up( EGR...
  23. G

Check Engine light-Runs fine

FiftyF150, I think you missed where he said "I settled on the scanXL from scantools.com with the bluetooth interface and the Ford specific software"
  24. G

Rough Idle and hesitation at around 50mph.

having the same issues. please let me know If you find anything....I also checked for vacumn leaks(none) in addition to everything you've done. This is exactly what my Mountaineer is doing. Going to the dealer after the pcv monday. the pcv is a dealer only item, they screw in under air...
  25. G

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

I used the factory manifolds.......I doubt header's will clear, as the taller deck height moved the manifolds up and out......the down-tube part of the y-pipe is pretty tight.
Back