Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Building a trailer

I ran across this web site some time ago and thought it neat. You may find it helpful. http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/ My suggestion would be to build it on skids so you can pull it up on a trailer to move it and still have use of the trailer. It is easy for the weight to get away from you...
  2. A

'97 brake controller install

Keep us informed Be nice to see pics and get updates as you do it. Good luck:thumbsup:
  3. A

Towing questions.

I'd echo joecrna, but it will do it. Watch the tranny temp, lock out O/D, pack light and don't get in a rush.
  4. A

Trails in tenesee

Thinking the same thing. I have looked at some regular maps that have shown some unpaved roads up into the Smokies. I haven't had time to go check it out since we moved to TN. The fact that they were on the map makes me think they are somewhat maintained roads. If I get a chance to get down...
  5. A

99 ex tow issues

I did some with my 98 and got about 16. Lock out OD and keep an eye on the trans temp.
  6. A

Another Tow Question

watch the load hitch Some pop-ups are not designed to run a distro hitch. You can overload the camper frame and axle and damage it. My brother in law did it with mine. double check before you do it. I lunched a trans with mine, but was more stupidity on my part. Keep the trans cool...
  7. A

Towing

gijoe came up with something that looks like one of the statics problems I give my students. Maybe there is a purpose to that.
  8. A

Return from the Colorado Colors Run 09 - Ouray: Pics, Video and Reports

Looks great. The sheep are refered to as a western slope traffic jam.
  9. A

Best year Explorer for towing or should I just get an Expedition?

Maybe an Excursion They will be older, but are heavier than an Expedition. My brother-in-law has one with the turbo diesel and can get 20mpg out of it. It will pull his approx 22 foot camper at 80 mph and thinks nothing of it. If it is a tow vehicle, don't go small. I am happy with the way...
  10. A

towing horses with X

temp gauge I put in a Scan Gauge 2 that can moniter the temp and a bunch of other things. (got that off the site from someone else, so it is not an original thought) I have been pleased with it though I am still figuring out everything it is capable of. The website does not show it able to...
  11. A

Trailer light scramble

Assuming the lights on the vehicle work fine, it will have to be between the harness and the pigtail. My 98 has the seperate light for the turn signal/emergancy flasher, so you have to have the control module to change system to a shared brake/turn/flasher light. (I assume you are running a 4...
  12. A

Annual Big Dixie Boggers Event in Central NC

Wish I could I have my timing all wrong. I'm leaving Colorado before the rides happen out here and will not get back to the Carolinas in time for this.:(
  13. A

I would like some Towing upgrade recomendations

My experience I bought my 98 4.0 SOHC last summer and in August hooked up to my pop up camper. I left SC with my wife and two of my children and began a 3000 mile trip out west. The trip included driving in the plains in 100 degree weather in the badlands to cold in Yellowstone and finished...
  14. A

Help -- noob to towing, need to tow a car on a dolly!

Look at the keeping the trans alive I just got to spend 2500 getting the trans rebuilt after towing a pop up camper 3000 miles. Trans may have had some problems when I got it, but I know I did not help. Some good info in the forum on this.
Back