Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

2005 ford explorer sport trac no start, good fuel pressure, good spark.

If the neutral switch was bad it wouldn't crank. What happened when you hit it with starting fluid?
  2. B

2005 ford explorer sport trac no start, good fuel pressure, good spark.

Even if PATS is locking it out it will fire with ether so try that. Definitely check for error codes. The best free software out there is FORScan for Android. I believe there is a Windows version too. Would be worth it to pick up a noid injector tester too. For the Theft light, I don't know...
  3. B

Symptoms of a skipped timing chain 4.0 SOHC

Mine did the same thing just before the crank position sensor completely died. No codes set. It was just a lucky guess finding the problem. Or more of a start with the cheapest stuff repair.
  4. B

1997 explorer, overheating issues

Not sure where you get the 195-198 but the engine came with a 180. I have the same engine in a 98. It's the second factory engine and they both came with 180° thermostats. The engine has never reached 200° even towing on a hot day with the a/c on. It runs between 175-185.
  5. B

Flashing 4x4 and 4x4 low light

It's the speed sensor, probably the front one. Pull it out and clean it. Fine metal from wear can build up on it and interfere. You should have a stored error code like P1836. Here's the thread from when I had problems with mine. P1836 Transfer case Speed Sensor Part numbers in there too...
  6. B

Help needed. Crank no start after timing job

How long did you run it? Lifters might still be dry. You did pull the pins on the tensioners right?
  7. B

Ignition key 2010 Ford Explorer - only 1 key when purchased

Here's how to check blank keys for compatibility. https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1581
  8. B

Ignition key 2010 Ford Explorer - only 1 key when purchased

You can program keys with the Forscan software if you only have one key. I think I paid five buck for the android version. It's excellent software for Fords. Here's a link to the PATS stuff: How to program PATS using FORScan v2.3.* - FORScan forum
  9. B

2000 4.0 SOHC Operating temp?

That's not where you read engine temperature. Engine should run around 180 so I'm not sure what you're even asking here. You wouldn't want it to run any cooler. It's not designed to.
  10. B

Anti theft light flashing no start

Also disconnect the battery first. The Pats transceiver has constant power.
  11. B

Anti theft light flashing no start

I've had this problem before. The wire connection from the RFID receiver around the ignition gets yanked every time the wheel is tilted and eventually breaks. If you look under the steering column you should be able to find a little 4 wire connector from the ignition. Cut the connector out...
  12. B

P1836 Transfer case Speed Sensor

That's a interesting idea. I have the old ScanXL software from Palmer Performance with the Ford extra stuff. I'm sure there's a PID to read those. I'll check that out this weekend. Parts will be here from RockAuto tomorrow.
  13. B

I've changed it a few time but don't remember when the last time was. I'll change it again this weekend when I get the new sensor in.
  14. B

The issue with it is I'm a moron. The CV joints were binding up on low speed turns so I just figured they went bad and replaced them. That did nothing. Then I decided it might be a good idea to dust off the old computer with the all the software and see what's really wrong with it. That's...
  15. B

Don't go to all that trouble. I'll get under it this weekend and start taking things apart. It just baffles me that not one single part store or even Ford has a listing for that model year part. They all start with year 2002.
  16. B

Those are basically the same number I have. Every listing says they are for 02-05 model years. I don't get it. Do you remember where they're at on the transfer case. Is the front one the one right by the shift motor?
  17. B

Need help finding the right part number. 98 Explorer with code P1836. Code says it's the Transfer case front shaft speed sensor. Here's where I get lost. I can't find this part anywhere not even on ford parts direct. If you look at the service bulletin in this post it shows part #...
  18. B

Does PATS disable the voltage to the fuel pump?

If the theft light is flashing when the ignition is On, PATS has disabled the engine. There are little wires that come from the from the thing that reads the key that get jacked up. I think it's a little four wire connector that the wires get pulled out of. Look along the steering column for...
  19. B

Noticed my driver side wheel hub starting to wobble, Rockauto only shows for 4x4 and NOT for 2WD. Are they the same part?

1A video is fine but I do not recommend 1A parts. I bought hub bearings from them once. Had to replace them after a month because of howling. 1A was no help and refused to refund me for the parts.
  20. B

Noticed my driver side wheel hub starting to wobble, Rockauto only shows for 4x4 and NOT for 2WD. Are they the same part?

This is correct. To find the Timken part numbers go to Timken Online Parts Catalog
  21. B

Coldest you've started your ex in?

Years ago at my brothers lake house in StGermain, WI. It was -24ºf. It wasn't happy but it started.
  22. B

Solved Everything you wanted to know about PATS.

Nice. What engine is in the new one?
  23. B

I think you are going to need a Windows based pc or laptop. (Used ones are dirt cheap on ebay) Looks like apple and android won't do complicated reset or write functions. ELM327-compatible adapters - how to choose - FORScan forum 4. Recommendations Table 4.1 - recommendations on adapters NO...
  24. B

My pictures didn't work but it's stuff from this page. How to use PATS Module Initialization function - FORScan forum
  25. B

I would try and reinitialize the PATS module to the ECU before spending any money on anything. Software and adapter is a 10 dollar investment. Looks like it's not to complicated.
Back