Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

I want an all metal radiator!

$80 on eBay, incl shipping for a alum/plastic one. I've had good luck with eBay radiators and the prices are so cheap it's scary - $69 delivered for an all-brass Toyota Camry radiator. You won't find that at your local Pep Boys or Autozone.
  2. S

Cold start, doesnt shift into gear

If this is caused by all the seals being old and tired, you will need a tranny rebuild to replace a variety of seals. But, be sure that there isn't a cheaper/simpler fix. Don't rely on the transmission shop to tell you the cheapest/simplest way, either. I can't diagnose your tranny remotely. If...
  3. S

1991 hood latch Please Help

Have someone press down on the hood while you pull the latch lever on the inside. This may relieve tension on the mechanism and allow it to pop open.
  4. S

Cold start, doesnt shift into gear

Old age - most likely - low pump pressures. Either let the engine/tranny warm up, or put a pan-heater on the trans pan and plug it in at night. Old/bad fluid may contribute to this. You might have marginal transmission pressures that aren't adequate when the seals get cold and stiff on very...
  5. S

Front tow hook mounting?

The frame seems quite high, but I'll see if removing the dam would work. Could also cut the dam (notch it for the hook). Pictures would be GREAT! Thanks! Steve
  6. S

Front tow hook mounting?

Where/how can I mount a tow hook on a stock '92 Sport 2 door? I may fabricate a big plate and bolt it to the frame - any other ideas? The plastic air dam won't survive a tow-strap pull, so either it must be cut, or the hook/loop must be mounted lower than the air dam. Thanks - Steve
  7. S

Flat black rattle can?

It's going to look horrible with spray-bomb flat. At least use satin black (not flat) - satin is semi-gloss. Any spray-bomb deal will show spray marks. If you paint it satin with a gun and do it right, it may look ok.
  8. S

Help in Hawaii!

The key-in-the-ignition sensor could be making partial contact even when the key it out. Mine did this, and chimed when the door was open with no key in the ignition. I removed the lower clamshell cover on the steering column and unplugged the single wire that leads to the ign cylinder (it's...
  9. S

4x4 not working

The inside of any locking hub should be *lightly* greased - like 1/16" of an inch thick smeared on parts. Big thick globs of grease in the hub serve no purpose, and will not play well at 10-15 below zero temperatures. Filling the hub with grease will not 'keep water out' and can create a suction...
  10. S

4.0L rebuild question

Economically, you can't beat a junkyard engine, unless you want the personal experience of rebuilding an engine. Even with a JY engine, you should replace every gasket (essentially) and the valve stem seals before you put it in the vehicle. Considering the book value of your Explorer is likely...
  11. S

Snow plowing?

I'd think the first gen suspension/design is stouter than the 2nd gen. and more suited to a plow. The lifespan of a plow truck is usually related to how aggressively you plow. Call a plow/hitch place and ask them if any Explorer is even rated to carry a plow of any type.
  12. S

fixing up a '92

The Haynes manual I have for my '92 is great - vastly better than Chiltons.
  13. S

Recommended shocks?

My '92 has a whipped out set of Motorcraft shocks. I'd like to know what front shock (in particular) can tame the severe bobbing of the front end in offroad situations. I'm sure I can buy Bilstiens or Rancho 9000s, but don't want to spend $90/shock. Would KYB GR-2s work well enough? I'm not...
  14. S

My Explorer Experience. (part III)

Great story - thanks for sharing. My freebie '92 5 speed 2 door is completely rust free (in Colorado, admittedly) and is quiet and tight in all respects - and has 216K on it. Looks like it might have 70K on it. The clutch was dragging, and it was hard to shift - hence the 'free' part - which I...
  15. S

Really Bad Gas Mileage

OBDII is 'On-Board Diagnostics II' - a federally mandated set of engine codes (from 0000-9999) that are required on all cars and light trucks sold in the US since 1995. Some manufacturers went to it slightly sooner than others. All vehicles with this certification must have a sticker under the...
  16. S

Really Bad Gas Mileage

On a pre-OBD II vehicle (pre '96 or 95, depending on make), a bad oxygen sensor won't necessarily trigger the Check Engine light. One symptom of a bad oxygen sensor is an unsteady idle, but that can be caused by many things. You can find online calculators that allow you to correct for...
  17. S

Where is my oil going?

In my experience, engines that have been sitting (in a junkyard or elsehwere) typically need new valve stem seals, and when you can't see an obvious cloud of smoke (due to bad rings, for instance), but are burning oil, then valve stem seals are implicated. It also may burn less after you drive...
  18. S

Fix for hard-shifting 5 speed '92

On removing the clutch rod: I had to take a piece of aluminum roof flashing and wrap it around the clutch slave rod and slide it down into the master cyl. to disengage the clutch rod from the master cylinder. It WILL NOT come out any other way. I tried brute force, small screwdrivers, etc...
  19. S

My clutch functions well, but I get an occasional grind going into reverse. My favorite transmission shop tells me it's a dragging pilot bearing, and I suspect they're right. Having said that, I won't pull the tranny until really necessary! The fluid in my clutch was black and nasty - try...
  20. S

4x4 Fixed??

Manual hubs won't always click or make noise when turned. Having someone drive the vehicle slowly and watching the front hubs is probably the best way to be sure the axles are unlocked. Or, reach under the truck and see if the axle stub shafts turn freely when 'unlocked' and don't turn at all...
  21. S

The welded area just butts up to the clutch switch when fully disengaged - but it's close. You need to remove the clutch switch and keep it handy when fabbing so that you cut the rod in the correct place. I got lucky on this one - there's pretty much just one place you can make the cut that...
  22. S

Thanks! Link to clutch rod photos. http://s373.photobucket.com/albums/oo179/SteveH-Colo/?albumview=slideshow
  23. S

A buddy gave me a '92 Explorer that was hard to shift in the forward gears and made horrible grinding sounds going into reverse. The rest of the truck was perfect. The mechanic's diagnosis was 'leaky slave cylinder' - which was not true - it was dry. I surmised that the clutch was not fully...
Back