Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Feels like a flat

I had the same problem a few months ago. I kept thinking I had a flat. Ended up being the sway bar end links.
  2. A

Problems with 4x4 automatically engauging

Flashing lights - Bad 4x4 Control Module. Easy to replace yourself as it's just behind the glove box. Binding/Thumping - Bad rear differential. Change the fluid with the proper 75W140 with 8oz of friction modifier. It should fix it. Also easy to do yourself.
  3. A

PCV slot broken

I just changed the PCV in my 4.6 for the first time, and noticed the same thing. The PCV just sits loosely in the hole. The replacement I bought was flush on the sides and didn't even have any grooves to twist/lock in. Should be fine!
  4. A

Cruise Control doesn't turn on.....

For my truck, I have to press ON and then - (Cst/Minus) I used to use + (Set/Plus) but it stopped working. The Cst/Minus button requires like 2-3 presses before it works. Probably a similar problem.
  5. A

2003 XLT Door Won't Close and Latch

Happened to me a few times last year. No amount of fiddling would get it to close. I ended up standing there with a hairdryer for 20 minutes!
  6. A

2002 Fuel Filler Neck

I'm seeing it for $185 Or is it the filler hose I need?
  7. A

2002 Fuel Filler Neck

Has anyone ever changed one out? I have a EVAP code, and the shop did the smoke test and found a hole in the rusted neck. I've searched the forums, and found a guide for 2nd Gen Explorers. Seems simple. I searched online, and found this...
  8. A

Tools needed to change rotors?

I had a stuck rotor last week that I couldn't get off, and didn't have a deadblow/sledge hammer to knock if off... So I ended up using a 50lbs plastic dumbbell which worked like a charm :D
  9. A

Differential oil question

I'm guessing they jacked up the rear only? I don't know if that would give you another qt tho...
  10. A

Crap! whats wrong with my axle?

The three bolts/axle nut will pull the hub tight. Also, the Ford instructions say to apply gasket maker, but a lot of people on this forum skipped that step. Don't think it's necessary...but I put it on anyways.
  11. A

That's what I'm saying...I didn't get the extra quart in. I returned the extra bottle for a refund. I also didn't jack up my truck during the oil change.
  12. A

The 3qts for the rear has been going around this forum forever. Even my ALLData repair program says the rear needs 2.6qts. I remember when I changed mine, I bought 3 1qt bottles and only about 1.5qts went in. I was confused until I looked at the official manual.
  13. A

How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

Yeah, we just compressed the pistons and slapped it back on. Did a test drive, and while braking I can hear a slight rubbing sound. It's gone when I take my foot off the brake...hmm.
  14. A

So after 2-3 hours banging the rotor/hub, they finally came off! Everything started going together good until I went to put the caliper back on...and it BARELY fit. The pads are tight against the rotor.... What would cause this? Maybe I accidentally pressed the brake pedal?? Anyways, from...
  15. A

car stalling when accelerator let up

Idle Air Control Valve? Maybe try to clean it..do a search on the forums for more information. It's a common problem for these vehicles. I just replaced mine instead of cleaning it. Super easy to swap out.
  16. A

I ordered a no-name brand of hub, and didn't get the bolts. Can I get just the three hub bolts from Ford? (or the 5 the OEM hub comes with)
  17. A

Binding when turning

Like the above poster mentioned, it's the rear differential. There is a TBS out there for the problem, which involving changing out the clutch packs. What I, and many others on this forum do, is to change the rear diff. fluid. I tried Amsoil Severe Gear Oil (Synthetic 75W140), but it didn't...
  18. A

What in the world is this noise!!!!!!!

Don't know about the noise, but you should inflate the tires to the proper amount as written on the driver's door sticker. I believe it's 30PSI front, 35PSI rear.
  19. A

Help!! Dash lights gone crazy

Mine does this too. Been doing it for a few years, never noticed any other problems though...
  20. A

What does this button do?

Rear parking sensors. If it lights up by default when you shift into reverse, your sensors aren't working.
  21. A

2002 4x4 problems

If your truck was built in Louisville: Prior to 3/4/2002 you need 1L2Z-7E453-A Built on or after 3/4/2002 you need 2C5Z-7E453-A If your truck was built in St. Louis: Prior to 3/11/2002 you need 1L2Z-7E453-A Built on or after 3/11/2002 you need 2C5Z-7E453-A
  22. A

2002 4x4 problems

So I had a problem with my 2002 Ford Explorer Limited. The 4x4 would only activate when the vehicle was warm. I ordered 1L2Z7E453A, installed it and now it works cold. I still don't get the clicks people are talking about though..
  23. A

Weird Dots on Windshield

Ontario insurance is a joke. I have very average coverage too. If I got full coverage with $0 deductible it would be around $6000/year. Clean record. People here are so afraid of using their insurance that when we get in an accident we just pay out of our own pockets instead of going to...
Back