Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

Electrical systems failing (No dash lights, 4x4, radio display, OD off and counting)

So, here's another twist to my dash lights saga. I got a letter from Ford about a safety recall (Cruise Control Fire Hazard). Apparently my 99 was never fixed under this recall. I took it to a dealership to have the recall work done, and was going to have them take a look at the dash lights...
  2. E

Electrical systems failing (No dash lights, 4x4, radio display, OD off and counting)

Well I finally got a chance to get back to this after traveling for the Christmas. We went back to MN to visit family, and boy I wish I had my Explorer! It snowed the whole time we were there. Budwich - I checked on your question (when your autolamps comes on (with your headlight dash switch...
  3. E

Using a test light, I connected one end to the ground wire (black) and the other to the "hot" wires and the light lit up. I also did the same thing with my meter with the dial turned to the Ground symbol and got a tone which I assumed indicated the presence of ground.
  4. E

OK, I finally got a chance to put some more work in on this. Here's what I was able to do: 1. Tested Dimmer relay - OK 2. Tested Parking Lamp relay - OK 3. Tested Headlight switch connection for Ground - OK 4. Tested Dimmer switch connection for Ground - OK 5. Replaced Headlight switch with new...
  5. E

My exterior parking lamps do come on. When I turn on the headlights/parking lamps the interior lights will flash on for a second then go out. When they go out, the parking lamps get brighter. For the fuses, I actually replaced all of the fuses with new ones, since the previous owner had put in...
  6. E

Budwich - My switch does exactly what you are describing. The light on the headlight switch is illuminated when the lights are not on. It goes out the minute you turn the headlights on. Is that significant?
  7. E

Thank you for confirming the proper way to test the relays. It helps to know the right way to do it. I will do some more testing and let you know what I find. Also, I just want to thank everyone for all their posts. Each post has been very helpful in helping me narrow down this problem.
  8. E

Well, since I'm working without an owner's manual, I tried to isolate exactly which relay is the parking lamp relay. I pulled all the relays one by one (Including 5 I found back by the jack storage), but the parking lamps still worked. Does the parking lamp relay control something else? Am I...
  9. E

Tested all the relays with 12 volts - no clicks Then, I put in a new headlight switch - still no dash lights Got a new parking lamp relay - still no dash lights One by one, I swapped out all the relays with the new one - still no dash lights In the process of testing, I noticed that the dash...
  10. E

Thanks for the diagrams. I will test the relays again. I did notice another symptom that may narrow it down some. I discovered that the OD and 4x4 systems are actually working, the indicators lights just won't light when the headlights are on. If you turn the headlights off and turn on the 4x4...
  11. E

Well I checked the relays and they all read the same. The smaller relays had different readings then the three large relays, but each small relay read exactly the same and each large relay read the same too. I went ahead and put in all new fuses since the previous owner had put in several fuses...
  12. E

I have seven unmarked relays in the power distribution box, and no owner's manual to ID them. My Chilton's diagram doesn't match what I have, and doesn't list either of the relays you suggested. Are there other relay locations?
  13. E

Thanks for the suggestion. Should I check the wiring to the relays or the relays themselves? When checking the relays, do I just connect my meter leads to the prongs of the relay?
  14. E

I have a 1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the 4.0 SOHC motor. I'm having one electrical system after another stop working. It started with the radio display going blank (radio still worked). Then the dash lights stopped working and then it spread to all the interior lights. Now the 4x4 is...
  15. E

Just Joined - Thought I'd say hello

I just joined the forum and thought I'd say hello. I have a 1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. It's a 4x4 with the 4.0 SOHC motor. I'm currently having a bunch of electrical issues so I'll be posting in some of the other forums shortly! Nice site!
Back