Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Explorer Turn Signal Problem - PLEASE HELP.

Joey- This is just a WAG... have you checked the ground wire? I'm not sure but I think there is a common ground wire (black) that goes from the brake switch to the turn signal flasher. Make sure you actually have a good ground. Just my best guess... good luck and keep at it... you will solve it!
  2. G

How to: 2nd Gen Blend Door Quick Fix

Mickey I can't remeber which way the door goes (left/right) for heat/AC. The best way to find out is to remove the servo motor that controls the swing of the door and turn the temp control to full heat or full cool to see which way it turns the door. Maybe others on the forum can give you a...
  3. G

Just don't forget that when you move the door to the opposite side when it gets cold, you will have full heat. Obviously, the blend door will "mix" the air to get it where it's just right for you. If you've gone this far, you may want to get it working the way it was supposed to. Glad you have AC.
  4. G

Good for you.... three cheers! Glad you have some relief from the heat. As a heads-up, the door may not stay in the position you currently have it in. Just from driving, the door may swing in the opposite position. No big deal, just readjust it when you get time. As far as the servo motor, it...
  5. G

I went through the very same thing on my '97 Explorer. Heat pouring out in the summer. Yes, it was my blend door as the Explorers are prone to this problem. The dealer wanted $1,400 to remove the heater box and replace which is just stupid! It's like replacing all four tires for one flat! I...
  6. G

Back-up light switch

Hello Dogfriend- I had an interesting day. My backup lights are now working as they should. This is what I found..... There are three square (approx. 3" sq.) wire connector plugs that sit just behind the main power distribution box that has many relays and fuses in the engine compartment on...
  7. G

Back-up light switch

Dogfriend... From looking at the schematic you supplied it appears that both the backup switch AND the Transmission Range Sensor have to be working. Do you know where the Transmission Range Sensor is physically located? If the BU switch is good, then maybe I can switch the sensor. Thanks for...
  8. G

Back-up light switch

Thanks again df. I will begin my search tomorrow and see if I can locate the backup switch and test for some voltages. Stay tuned!
  9. G

Back-up light switch

Thanks dogfriend.... the diagram will certainly help and it is appreciated! Dumb question: What is DTR referring to on the diagram?
  10. G

Back-up light switch

Hello everyone... a couple of months ago my '97 Explorer lost its turn signals and dash lights. I found that the common ground wire that feeds both circuits was faulty so I just ran a new ground to the blinker and dash dimmer and everything works. Now, I find I have NO BACK-UP lights... I would...
  11. G

'97 Explorer Radiator help

Thanks for the info jlsparky7. I looked at it briefly this afternoon and could see that the fan had to come off in order to get the radiator out. Are there any special tools required to get the fan off? Thanks again for all the help.
  12. G

'97 Explorer Radiator help

Hello all... My '97 Explorer finally spring a leak in the radiator. So, my questions are: 1. Where can I find instructions on how to remove the radiator? 2. Do I have to remove the AC compressor to get the radiator out? 3. Where's the best place to get a replacement radiator? Thanks for any...
  13. G

Explorer Turn Signal Problem - PLEASE HELP.

I just got done (today!) trouble shooting the exact same problem. My turn signals stopped working, and my panel illumination lights would not come on. Both of these failures occured at the same time. To make a long storie short, it was the GROUND wire (black) that was the cause of the problem...
  14. G

No turn signals, no dash lights, no luck!

budwich.... you were right again!!! Switching out the dimmer switch did not solve the problem. After reading your post last evening, I sat back and thought about what you wrote. This morning, I pulled the plug off of the dimmer switch and started probing for ground but found none. I began...
  15. G

Hello everyone.... here's my story.... I have a '97 Explorer and had the same problem with the blend door. Sooner or later you all will have it!!! I bought a replacement kit from HeaterTreater, took me under 2hrs, did NOT have to remove the heater box or discharge the AC. The door that...
  16. G

Here's what I found..... you are correct, there is a common ground coming from the dimmer control to the flasher relay. I tried getting continuity on the black ground wire coming out of the back of the dimmer control and ground with no luck. Next, I set the meter to dc volts and measured +11v...
  17. G

Got it... thanks!
  18. G

Thanks again budwich for your followup. I would have to concure with you that if the ground were broken, I would have additional headaches! OK, my abbreviation ignorance is showing.... I don't know what "obd" refers to. Please let me know and I will begin the process of looking for the needle...
  19. G

Got it.... I will check the condition of G100 tomorrow and see what I can find. I'm just thankful that I have one problem solved. Now onto problem #2!
  20. G

Ok budwich how do you spell success? You spell it TURN SIGNALS ARE WORKING!!!! Thanks to YOU and your steady help you were able to guide me in the right direction to resolve this problem. It is always nice to meet nice people on line and you are one of them!!! I decided to do what I said and...
  21. G

I think we are both thinking the same at this point (scary!). OK, I am thinking of running a ground directly to the pin #5 to see if the flashers work... what do you think of that idea? Next, "You need to check G100" Can you elaborate on that? Since I don't have a schematic, I'm not sure what...
  22. G

Update... I did check from the Light Blue wire (#1) to ground when operating the turn signal stalk. I get ground in LEFT and RIGHT positions. So I assume that the MFS switched the ground connection.... is this correct? If it is, then the White/red must get +12v from the flasher when it is...
  23. G

One more comment.... It bothers me that with the connector off of the relay I did not find any ground. I check continuity on each of the 5 wires with ground and NOTHING. I would think that in order for the relay to have power, it must have a ground wire. Could a short cause it to lose...
  24. G

Hello again. I too am in the same boat as far as the unemployment thing. Got "downsized" (I hate that term!) about eight months ago and my age and the bleak economy are not in my favor. OK, onto my turn signals.... Last evening, I measured voltages (with my VOM meter) with the relay attached...
  25. G

One more comment.... I have to go run an errand. When I return in an hour or so I will get you the color wire that is associated with each pin so that we can establish that the schematic is the same for 96 and 97. I agree with you that they are probably the same for the flasher system.
Back