Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Key Fob/transponder problems 2004 Explorer

I've started to use my Explorer a bit more after letting my daughter use it at college. The key fob doesn't work and I've went and put a new battery in it. I even went to the trouble of buying a new one. Neither of the fobs work. What inside the car communicates with the fob? I heard it was a...
  2. J

Installing replacement radio with backup camera

Thanks for the input. You certainly have a nice set up. I hope to end up with one a nice although I don't want to put more than $300 into mine. Thanks again sir.
  3. J

Thanks for the reply. I replied to my first reply about Crutchfield. I'll probably go back to them since their customer service with my other need was top shelf.
  4. J

Thank you for the reply. I tried to replace a radio in my truck from 1997 and bought a couple of units from Crutchfield to try. I'm guess I'm too old (61) to appreciate (?) the new tech that is used on these replacements radios. My first purchase from them was a Blaupunkt (less than $100). I...
  5. J

We bought my wife a car one year ago that has backup camera in it. I really like the backup camera feature and the bluetooth connectivity with one's cell phone for the hands free features and music playing that is stored on my phone. Can anyone recommend a manufacturer of replacement radios that...
  6. J

Accessing Heater/AC Controls

2004 Explorer XLT The heat is not getting to the defrost outlets in Defrost mode. In this mode the heat primarily comes out of the A/C outlets. I've taken off the bezel around the center radio and AC/Heater controls but would like more access to the other components. Is removing the entire dash...
  7. J

Adjusting Parking Brake 2004 Explorer

Thanks everyone. It appears that this nothing I want to do myself with all the other chores on my plate.
  8. J

Adjusting Parking Brake 2004 Explorer

How simple is adjusting the parking brake on a 2004 Explorer? On previous vehicles I've owned all I had to do was engage the pedal a notch or two and reach under the vehicle and take the slack out of the cable going to the rear. My Maintenance Manual doesn't show it to be that easy. It says to...
  9. J

Removing front valence

Can they be removed without destroying them so that they can be reused? Is there a special tool to do that or to install them with.
  10. J

Removing front valence

I've got to replace the front valence strip across the lower front. It is held on by several rivets. Can these be removed for reuse? Do I need any special tools to remove them and or install them?
  11. J

Vacuum Motor for Panel Vents - 2004 Explorer

Thank you for the reply. I'm getting air out of the panel vents in all modes as if the door from the plenum is stuck open. I've got a schematic diagram of the system and it shows a door actuated by a separate vacuum motor sends air to the panel vents. You say this particular door actuator is...
  12. J

Vacuum Motor for Panel Vents - 2004 Explorer

Does anyone know where the exact location is of the vacuum motor that directs air to the panel vents?
  13. J

Front Valance Fasteners 2004 Explorer

I'm replacing the damaged front valance. I've looked underneath and see that there are several fasteners perhaps 14ea. On each side of the car there are a set of three fasteners that are inserted from the top while the rest of them are inserted from the bottom. Are all of the fasteners the same...
  14. J

2004 Explorer OBD Connection?

Is it open-ended like all other connection points I've ever seen or does it have a snap cover over it?
  15. J

2004 Explorer OBD Connection?

Is the OBD connector near the parking brake inside that white cover with a 10mm nut on it? Do you back off that nut and "unclip" the cover? It looks like it might have two covers that "unclip". Am I wrong?
  16. J

Broken spring parking brake release mechanism

Thank you. If that's an option, I'll consider it but it seems like an awful lot of work for a simple spring that can be installed in a matter of a few minutes...if the simple spring was easily available.
  17. J

Broken spring parking brake release mechanism

A spring broke that connects the foot pedal and the parking brake release handle mechanisms inside the car under the dash. The dealer said it is not sold separately but comes with a $150 replacement part (a topic for a whole other conversation). The auto parts places don't have anything close...
  18. J

Coolant Temperature Sensor and Housing

Update Explorer 2004 I tried to replace the o-ring with the specified ring. Once installed on the old sensor it was too large of an outside diameter and it wouldn't fit in the port on the housing. True story. So I went to one of my local parts store and bought a new sensor. Brought it...
  19. J

Drain holes not plugged - water still in cabin

2004 Explorer I posted in here a few years ago about the problem of water in the cabin on the passenger side and I've read just about everything written by others with the similar problem. I've removed the wheel liner for the second time now and I know the hole is not clogged. I'm still...
  20. J

Thank you, sir. That is wonderful. :thumbsup:
  21. J

2004 Explorer I replaced that plastic piece of junk housing for the coolant temperature sensor a few months ago. Some coolant started leaking again near this housing and I think it is the temp sensor. Can just the o-ring be replaced? When I replaced the housing, I reused the old sensor and...
  22. J

Disconnect battery cable - Now rough Idle

I'm the OP and here's what I did. I called a mechanic that has worked on my car before. He told me to disconnect both battery cables and touch them together. Did that. I also just had my transmission rebuilt on my Dodge Ram and since I had just handed over $1700 to him I thought I'd ask him...
  23. J

Disconnect battery cable - Now rough Idle

2004 Explorer XLT I disconnected the battery cable for a few hours while working inside my wife's Explore and now the car has rough idle. Did the computer get discombobulated? Can I restore whatever I did wrong?
  24. J

Water Leak through fire wall 2004 Explorer

Do you mean the drain from the A/C pan? where does this dump to the outside?
  25. J

Replacement foam in Seats

That was quick. Thank you.
Back