Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Cold morning Start and idle issues

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm having a similar problem and have changed out the intake gaskets. When cold the vehicle rarely idles properly after first starting but sometimes it will idle after cranking a 2nd time. Other times it will flat out die if I don't keep giving it gas for a few...
  2. T

New noise

Could be a warped rotor. I've also seen cases where the e-brake shoe inside the rotor causes a similar noise. Best bet is to jack that side of the vehicle up, take off the wheel and spin the rotor by hand to try to pinpoint the exact area.
  3. T

Heard a pop and now no start HELP please!!

Ahh ok, I thought you had bolted the housing up already, that's where I got confused. Yea, other than the crankshaft sensor, I'm not sure what else could've happened to cause it to not start.
  4. T

Heard a pop and now no start HELP please!!

Maybe it knocked off your crankshaft position sensor, I think that's around that area? Where were these bolts from anyway?
  5. T

Front end vibration

I'm getting a front end vibration when driving at around 60MPH. No vibration up until that speed and it doesn't seem to go away when I let off the gas, only when the speed of the vehicle drops. I'm guessing this is probably a tire problem, maybe one of my front tires is out of balance, but just...
  6. T

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

Did this last weekend. When I got the hub assembly off it was clear it was the cause of the problem. When I spun it you could feel the "looseness" and clunking. Big thanks to the thread starter for the very detailed write-up!
  7. T

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

I'm having a sort of "groaning" sound whenever I turn left and can hear a bit of humming when driving. It sounds like it's coming from the left so I changed out the driver's side hub assembly but I'm still getting the same noise, could it actually be the passenger side I'm hearing? I guess the...
  8. T

Grinding noise while turning

Anyone else have an idea on this? If the noise is more when turning left is it logical to assume a passenger side wheel bearing/hub problem?
  9. T

Ok I checked them out and the passenger side wheel seems to have more resistance when turning and I'm also hearing a bit of a high pitched squeal that sounds like it's coming from the hub. That combined with the groaning when turning left could that indicate a worn out passenger side bearing/hub?
  10. T

Ok thanks, I'll jack it up and check the bearings to see how freely they spin. Since the noise is greater when making left turns would that indicate that it is likely the left wheel bearing that has the issue or the right wheel bearing given the turning radius is greater for the right wheel when...
  11. T

Hey all. Recently I've noticed a sort of grinding/rubbing noise from the front of the vehicle but only during left turns. I'm thinking this could be the driver's side wheel bearing/hub assembly, but not sure. How do you properly check the wheel bearings? Jack the vehicle up and check for up/down...
  12. T

Hey all. Recently I've noticed a sort of grinding/rubbing noise from the front of the vehicle but only during left turns. I'm thinking this could be the driver's side wheel bearing/hub assembly, but not sure. How do you properly check the wheel bearings? Jack the vehicle up and check for up/down...
  13. T

Engine bogging down/hesitating

Anyone have any other ideas? FWIW, I also have a strong gas smell at times while it's idling. Could the EGR system be to blame? The thing that's stumping me is why it's idling great whenever I first start it up but always drops and the exhaust starts to rumble after around a minute of idling.
  14. T

Ok, did the seafoam and it seems to have cleared up the hesitation a bit, but I'm still getting the rough idle after the vehicle has been running for a minute or so. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? The other day the idle was starting to fluctuate from about 600-700 rpm down to...
  15. T

Coolant Issue

I'd try replacing your rad cap. Sound like you might not be getting the proper pressure in your system if it's not drawing any coolant from the overflow tank.
  16. T

Automatic Ride Control rear suspension?

Ahh ok. So if I were to take them out I would just go back to having a stock rear suspension?
  17. T

I'll have to take another look again tommorow when it's light out, but I'm pretty sure I only have four shocks on this, two on the front, two in the rear and then the "air bags". I don't have a picture of my vehicle, but the air bag things that are on mine look like the ones in this picture. I...
  18. T

Just a quick question. My '99 XLS has the rear "air bags" but they have a leak and looking through some threads on here I discovered that they can be replaced with a set of non-adjustable shocks from monroe. I took a look at my truck and there are already a set of non-adjustable shocks right...
  19. T

Coolant Leak

Check around the thermostat housing to see if it's leaking in that area. Not sure what engine you have but on mine that is also where the temp sensor is so a leak there could be causing the abnormal temp readings. But as others have said, get a pressure tester, it'll help you out a lot!
  20. T

I haven't performed the seafoam clean yet, but does anyone have an idea what could be causing the vehicle to idle beautifully at start up only to drop and start to "rumble" and shake after idling for a couple minutes? My guess is that it could be a sensor issue but not sure where to start? I've...
  21. T

Yea I'm positive it's a SOHC. It's a rebuilt vehichle so that may be a reason for having XLS badges on it. Anyway, I checked a couple more threads and it seems that the first thread I looked at that showed a t-connector in the tube was just inserted in their to make pouring the seafoam easier...
  22. T

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Quick question, I checked out another thread about the IAC method and says something about pouring the seafoam into the t-connector on the IAC tube. On my engine the tube just goes into the air intake hose, do I just disconnect it there and the pour into the tube...
  23. T

I've got a 4.0L SOHC engine and when I first start it up in the morning it runs great, idles at about 900-1000 RPM and responds great. After a couple minutes the idle drops a bit to about 700RPM and it starts to rattle slightly, sometimes worse. It also hesitates at times while under load, I can...
  24. T

Front end noise when theres a decent amount of deflection

Check your sway bar end links.
Back