Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Driver's Side Passenger Power Window Lock Out Switch Question

Thanks for checking that out for me. It is weird though. Unlike the power mirror switch, where the markings are clearly painted on, the passenger windows lockout switch looks like the markings are translucent white molded-in plastic, exactly like the up/down switches. Chris
  2. C

Driver's Side Passenger Power Window Lock Out Switch Question

Can someone please check their 4th Gen Explorer/Mountaineer and tell me if this switch lights up like the window up/down switches and the door lock/unlock switches? Mine doesn't seem to light up. Frankly, I'm not sure if it ever lit up. It still controls power to the passenger window switches...
  3. C

Billet Fuel Door For Capless Fuel System

Has anyone tried installing one of these? I've read all the links I could find and none describe the one for a capless fuel system. I understand how to remove the four screws, two holding just rubber bumpers and two holding rubber bumpers and the door hinge assembly. But there is still that...
  4. C

Suggestions for Chrome Exhaust Tip

By popular demand, here's a couple of pictures of my Ford factory clamp-on chrome exhaust tip. http://s962.photobucket.com/albums/ae106/txtacco/Mountaineer%20Tail%20Pipe/ Chris
  5. C

For anyone who cares, I went ahead and ordered a factory Ford chrome clamp-on exhaust tip, part number 2L3Z5K238AA. It fits the F150, Ranger, Explorer, a Mountaineer, V6 and V8. Installation was effortless, fit perfectly, and looks good. Evidentially it is stock on the Eddie Bauer, Limited...
  6. C

I have a stock 2008 Mercury Mountaineer V-6. I'm looking for a clamp-on chrome exhaust tip for purely cosmestic reasons. I don't want to change the sound or have it protrude much farher than the stock pipe. I'm thinking an angled, rolled-edge tip, so the existing tailpipe doesn't show...
  7. C

2nd to 3rd "jerk"

I had a similar issue with my 2008 Mountaineer. Not saying your problem is the same as mine, but mine appeared to be a transmission learning issue. I ran it through several full throttle runs of the gears and it eventually smoothed out at the slower speeds. Don't know why. It just worked...
  8. C

Lock and unlock doors with key - have questions

I agree this was a great feature that Ford stupidly did away with. I mean how much could it possibly save? Pennies? My 97 Explorer Sport had it and my wife's 2004 Sable Wagon has it. I never carry the remote key FOB, because I don't want that big lump of plastic in my pocket all the time...
  9. C

Auto seat settings.

I bet that's exactly what it is. I had the seat easy entry/exit option turned off, but my dome light would come on intermittently, day or night, especially when going over big bumps. I found I could force the light on or off by pushing/pulling on the key while in the ignition...Push/pull, as...
  10. C

Mountaineer side clear lenses? Keyless Entry Code? Seatbelt Chime?

The side turn indicator markers on my 2008 Mountaineer are clear, as are the tailights. I bet they're all interchangable with your 2006. Chris
  11. C

what would hard braking do the car?

You could, theoretically, spin the tires a little bit on the rims, throwing the wheel balance off...Besides, putting flat spots on the tires. Just don't do it regularly for fun. Chris
  12. C

broken vanity mirror

Don't get me wrong, I love my 2008 Mountaineer, but come on. I opened the driver's side vanity mirror for maybe the second or third time since I've owned the truck and it broke! One of the hinges just crumbled into pieces. And I didn't and don't flip it up. I gently opened it. And here's...
  13. C

passenger assist handles & adding them to my vehicle

Deb, To do what you're wanting sounds to me like someone would have to take the head-liner and/or back seat/cargo area window trim pieces down, weld-in and thread some bases and then bolt/screw in some factory or aftermarket handles right through the existing trim. So my suggestion is have...
  14. C

Buying Mountaineer: 2004 V8 or 2007 V6?

Well, the mileage for the 2007 seems a bit high and the mileage for the 2004 seems low. Are they about the same condition regarding the body, paint, and interior? That would be the deciding factor for me. Plus paint and interior can be an indicator of how well the mechanicals have been...
  15. C

Got it while I could, New Mountaineer!

Congratulations on your purchase. Very cool looking. I like the 20" Premier wheels too. Unfortunately, they are not off-road rated and I sometimes do a little light off-roading, so I had to go with the base model and 17" rims with A/T tires. If they still made the Sable Wagon, my wife...
  16. C

Are Mercury's days numbered?

I'm so angry about Ford killing Mercury. My last two cars were Mercury vehicles, a 2004 Sable wagon and a 2008 Mountaineer. Yes, I looked at the Fords, but I got both Mercury vehicles for about the same or lesser price and they had more upgrades and a more sophisticated styling, in my humble...
  17. C

Factory tires

My 2008 Mountaineer with 17" rims came from the factory with BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/As. Chris
  18. C

TPMS sensors

That certainly sounds logical to me. But even if true, it's only a 99% probabilty that will be the case. Why? Because if the previous tire/wheel owner was like I was when I was a kid, when I got new tires I also replaced those rubber valve stems with threaded stainless steel ones. Which were...
  19. C

TPMS sensors

Get the VIN from the car and have Ford look it up? If you don't know what vehicle the wheels came from, couldn't you/they deflate a tire, break the bead, and take a peek inside? Chris
  20. C

Is this a normal idle sound?!

I never had an idling problem with my dirty IAC valve. Just the humming or howling, as I called it. It's easy to remove, clean, and reinstall. Just make sure you use an electronics parts cleaner, not Gumout or anything like that. Do a search on this forum. That's how I deduced and fixed the...
  21. C

Is this a normal idle sound?!

Is that with the A/C running? Sounds like the same sound that comes from a dirty IAC...Which only happened for me when the A/C was on and I was at an idle on very hot days. Chris
  22. C

Best tires?

Wow, I wish I could get 50,000 miles out of any tire. On my 97 Explorer, I had about 30,000 miles on my Goodyear Wrangler GSAs, but got rid of them and put on some Firestone Destination LEs, because the ride from the Goodyears was so bad. It looked like they MIGHT have made it to 50,000...
  23. C

Aftermarket running boards

You might consider Googling "Ford parts online" or "Ford accessories online". There are a number of Ford dealerships/OEM outlets who offer factory parts/accessories at significantly less than you would pay at your local dealership. FWIW, the factory 2006+ moulded/aluminum tubular steps bars...
  24. C

Is it just me...

or do you find it ironic that GMC is advertising their SUVs on this web page? I suppose there are a lot of disgruntled Explorer/Mountaineer owners here, but a "Government Motors" vehicle? Not me! Not now! Chris
  25. C

New Owner with question

Could it be an out of round tire? How about wheel bearings? I know this is a long stretch, but my 1997 had a recall for noisy front wheel bearings less than a year after manufacture. They replaced them, but the same rumble in the front end was there its whole life. Currently my 2008...
Back