Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

How do I lift a 98 Sport 2wd ?

The Explorer Procomp cost about $630 at this place JCWhitney . Wow! Is there a cheaper method?
  2. H

How do I lift a 98 Sport 2wd ?

Hi, I want to lift about 2-3" for my 98 Sport 2wd. What do I need to buy. I read the archive messages and kinda have an idea about buy a 4-dr leaf. But I'm still a little vagued. Can you guys explain further for me? Thanks
  3. H

Hi, Anyone know a shop in So Cal that does a lift for my 2WD Sport?

I didn't call other places Joe, but for $850, I was thinking I should do this work myself. :) $850 is kinda steep.
  4. H

They told me $850 for the whole installation 3" raise.
  5. H

Thanks. I just called. $850 installed for my 98 2WD Sport. Ouch!
  6. H

It's near end of October, how's that Aussie Locker...

It's near end of October, how's that Aussie Locker coming? Anybody got them yet?
  7. H

Hi, Anyone know a shop in So Cal that does a lift for my 2WD Sport? I'm looking for a lift 2-3" but don't want to do the work myself. I want to fit 31s with the stock 15" rims. BTW, I'm looking for 31s tires also. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Nathan
  8. H

Thinking to trade my 98 Explorer for a Tundra

So all of your recommendations are to let go the Explorer and get the Tundra/Titan ?
  9. H

The Big 3s (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) are nice and cheap too. But now I'm beginning to head over to Toyota's reliability.
  10. H

I have a 98 Sport OHV 4.0L with 103,000 miles. The V6 just doesn't seem to kick it anymore. I've been eyeing the V8 Toyota Tundra and it seems to be more reliable and dependable (as a Toyota product). What do you guys think should I stay and spend about 3 grand on this V6 just to make it...
  11. H

2wd problem with boat today

Well I have 3.27 Open and when I pull my boat off the ramp today, the back tires get wet and it spins on the sand. I believe both tires spin at the same time. I had the Explorer on 1st gear and I snap it to pull up. I was able to pull the boat up but I smell a lot of smoke from my tranny. I...
  12. H

Aussie locker compared with Powertrax No Slip?

Hi, Has anyone gotten the Aussie Locker and have had the Powertrax No Slip before? I'm still in a deciding mode on which one to get and I want to know if which one is better. Thanks Nathan
  13. H

31" tires, 3.27 gears, 2 inch lift...

Is it better to go 4.10 with 31" tires? Would my speedo be off if I go that way? I'm having dilema on 4.10 or 3.73 right now from my 98 Sport 3.27 OHV
  14. H

2WD Offroad

Brans It's not going to be for a while. Now I'm still doing homework on the lift job. It's more tricky to lift a Sport. Then I need to regear and get a locker. It'll be long...
  15. H

2WD Offroad

How is the Powertrax compared to the Aussie locker? Does anyone know? I'm a 2wd Sport. And I'm leaning toward going offroading.
  16. H

Hi, should I go 3.73 or 4.10 from my stock 3.27 gear?

StevevB, But isn't the exact tire size and gear match is 3.73 for 31s and 4.10 for 32s ? and if you're riding 4.10 with 31s (without lift), you will be loosing mileage more because the speedometer doesn't calculate correctly? My main concern is that say I'm riding 4.10 gear with 31s...
  17. H

2 inch lift question

Hi I also have a 98 Sport. Where can I find the 2 or 3 inch body lift that you said $150? And I'm assuming that getting the 4dr rear springs is from a junk yard? Which year should I get it from? Thanks.
  18. H

Hi, should I go 3.73 or 4.10 from my stock 3.27 gear?

Hi, should I go 3.73 or 4.10 from my stock 3.27 gear? I have a 1998 Sport 2wd 4.0 OHV. I want to swap the stock gear and also get a LSD or a locker (aussie perhaps) and here are my options: (1) Go 3.73 and get 31" tires without having to lift the Sport. (2) Go 4.10 and get 32" tires...
  19. H

Is 3.73 that different.

I know this post was kinda old, but I have a 98 OHV 4.0 Sport. Will going 4.10 with 31" tire be putting strain on my transmission? Thanks Nathan
  20. H

Can I run 32" tires with 4.10 gear on a 98 Sport 2wd?

The problem is that it will rubs, correct? Can I lift it 1" or 2" somehow?
  21. H

Can I run 32" tires with 4.10 gear on a 98 Sport 2wd?

Can I run 32" tires with 4.10 gear on a 98 Sport 2wd (no lifts) ?
  22. H

Do all Ford 8.8 gear sets fit on a 28 or 31 spline carrier?

Thanks SteveVB. That is really detailed and informative. When you say: "You can use any 8.8 gears ONLY 31 spline carriers." Does that mean that I can use any 8.8 gears and I can ONLY use a 31 spline carriers? Just to make it more clear. Thanks.
  23. H

Sorry, I'm kind of confused. What is a spider gear? Now all gears are the same for Ford 8.8, some of them are 28, 29, 30, or 31 spline carrier. And they would all be interchangeable. But if I get a locker after that, the locker doesn't have anything to do with the ... say... 28...
  24. H

So the gear can be a different spline as long as it is a Ford 8.8 ? But the locker has to be a 31 spline? Sorrry just want to double double make sure :) I also found this from jegs.com website with the gear to be 30 spline...
  25. H

Say if I get a Mustang 8.0 28 spline ring & pinion set, and later on if I decide to get a locker to put in the Explorer, will the locker fit?
Back