1998 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 explorer

1. S

1995-2001 /2nd Gen Ford Explorer Wanted

Well, my current 1998 XLT explorer has had a tragic timing chain mishap and it's engine bit the dust. So I'm looking for either a donor vehicle for a 5.0 engine (salvage condition okay as the engine and transmission are intact), or a nice running 2nd Gen explorer with the following specs...
  2. A

The Domino Effect... Holiday Season Adventures

Here's a funny story about how I got 3 truck in 3 weeks: It all started around Thanksgiving, my neighbor offered me his broken 1986 Bronco 2, if I can pull it out of a ravine. I love challenges, and I was looking at getting a side-x-side, so the lifted Bronco 2 and its short wheelbase was...
  3. 1

What is this clutch issue?

What is going on when I start the engine in reverse with the clutch engaged and it reverses without disengaging the clutch? I clearly have a clutch problem. Initially, I assumed I just needed to bleed air out of the system as I could not shift beyond the gear I start the vehicle in. I'm...
  4. 1

Replacing Fuel Pump in 98 Exp Sport V6

Hello. I'm seeing there are two ways I can go about replacing the fuel pump; just the pump itself or the entire apparatus. If I do go ahead with this, I need to keep the cost as low as possible as I'm selling this vehicle and her value isn't much. Can I get away with just replacing the pump...
  5. F

Headlights

As promised this is the second of my two threads. I'm not as concerned about this one as I am the idling issue and I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced the issue of the headlights/dash lights coming on sometimes without turning on the lights. Long story short, some idiot decided to...
  6. Z

1998 5.0 cylinder head replacement

Hello, I have a 98 5.0L engine that needs a little TLC. Bought it from a tow lot and the engine is looking dirty and corroded. What are some good cylinder heads to put in in my 5.0??
  7. M

'98 XLT Mystery Electrical Problems - Brakes, Windows, Cruise, Locks

Hey everyone! I've been driving this bad boy for 2 years now and it's always had electrical problems of some sort. I will list the symptoms first and after that I will list what I've tried to do about them. None of my solutions worked, so if anyone has any ideas I would be eternally grateful...
  8. R

Suspension lift vs. Body lift

I want to put a lift on my 1998 V6 XLT, mainly because I think the stock height is dorky looking, but also because I would like to be able to off road to go shooting without messing up my under carriage. I'm leaning towards suspension lift, but I know some people who have suspension and body...
  9. G

To Build or buy?

I have a 1998 XLT with 208K. Leaking oil from timing chain cover and rear main seal. Has been a great truck for us and still running strong. Since you guys have been great in the past I thought I would try again. I have built many SBC's in the past, but never a SBF. Not afraid of doing it...
  10. R

A/C problem - vent not working except w. engine not running

'98 Ford Explorer, 100k miles. Receiver/dryer replaced in 2005 (34,000 miles) when it rusted out. A/C not working. Compressor does seem to come on. Set it on fan setting (there are two settings that do not use A/C, 100% outside air) and they blast very hot air. Turned engine off, turned...
  11. K

OEM Battery Cable Replacement

Although I have referred to this site often, this is my first post. I am finding it very difficult to locate and purchase OEM battery cables for my 1998 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC (w/o Message Center). The dealer no longer carries the part and I have yet to find an online source to purchase from...
  12. M

95 to 98 Engine Swap?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if a 4.0L from a 95 Explorer will fit in a 98 Explorer? I've been told that the engine is not compatible but was hoping for a more definitive answer. Thank You!!!
  13. M

Replacement Radio for 1998 XLT

Hi, The radio in 1998 XLT no longer lights up but it still plays. I would like to replace the radio with either another stock one or an aftermarket one. Does anyone know what year radios fit a 1998 explorer. I see there are a lot of people parting out Explorers and maybe I can pick up a...
  14. B

Need to choose new shocks!

I got a 1998 Ford Explorer XLT, 4.0L OHV 4wd. The shocks have gone kaput and I need to choose some new ones for all four corners. Now the extent of my off-roading is about 50% and consists of trails for hunting, gravel/mud roads for work, and the occasional fire-break on the spine of a mountain...
  15. F

Thinking about getting a lift..

Hey guys new to the site, just bought a 1998 eddie bauer from one of my dads friends, pretty good condition got a great price, had a little cash left over and was really thinking about getting a lift on it and some tires. Just wondering if i should get a body or suspension lift, i would be...
  16. F

Driver seat broke

A few months ago my recliner handle broke of so i use the buttons on the side however today while messing with the seat the buttons stopped working. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank You. I was also wondering if there is anyway to move the seat manually.
  17. M

98 X factory Mach sub swap

Hey I've read some threads about people swapping out their mach subs (I blew mine within a week of having my ex). I have removed the panel and retrieved the sub box which is now sitting empty in the back of my X. What I have failed to gather from any of these threads is what sub will fit in...
  18. M

98 Ex Leaking fluid near front right tire

My 98 explorer limited 5.0L v8 is leaking a clear orderless liquid (guessing H20). It is dripping down from the back side of the front right wheel well. I don't think it is windshield wiper fluid or radiator coolant as those both are colored and have some scent to them. I also do not think it is...
  19. S

5r55e to 4r55e... can it be done and if so, should it?

I'm trying to find information on swapping a 5r55e to a 4r55e but I haven't been very successful. I see alot of information on 4r55e to 5r55e though. And before anybody starts asking me hard questions... its not for my Mountaineer. My question is for Elessar65's 98 Explorer Thanks guys!!
  20. M

Turbo Charger System/Lift Kit

So, I have a couple questions about turbo and lifts. I own a 1998 Explorer Sport 4.0L OHV 2wd. Is there any kind of turbo kit out there that can be installed on this vehilce? Also if a body lift is done on it will the front and rear bumpers be raised too? I'm trying to get it custom...
  21. R

Replacing ball joints on a 1998 Ford Explorer 4x4 Eddie Bauer.

Need some help to see what to expect. I just bought this Explorer. Found a guy on Ebay that sells the entire front end. I bought the UCA, Lower Ball joints, Inner/outers Tie Rods and the sway bar links. Beside the usual tools (ball joint press the socket for the inner tie rods and some hammer)...
  22. J

my explorer

this is my 98 explorer xlt. 83000 miles. i would've taken more picture but it was cold out, and now its dark out. ill put some more up. the interior is immaculate. engine bay is very nice. some dings and scratches. but i love her.
Back