2002 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1. Number4

2003-2005 4.6l Intake Manifold New Number

FYI Dorman now makes an intake manifold for the 03-05 4.6l. The 02 version being 615-175. The new version is 615-775.
  2. Z

Help no start

Hi all I don't if the is the same or not but here's what has happened to me yesterday So I had a mechanic look at my truck for another issue and he tried to jump or reset the computer with a jump wire for the positive to the negative battery cable so he told me, now when I drove it home the...
  3. G

2002 4.0 auto to M50d-r1

Hey all, New to the forum as a member but have been reading for years. Love it. Anyway, my girl (02 4.0 XLT 2WD) rolled 200,000 this year and was promoted from daily driver to weekend warrior. Since I can now be without her for a while now it's time for an overhaul. Before I ask, I know the...
  4. N

Solved The power door locks are blowing fuses.

2002 Mountaineer blowing fuse #2 in the power distribution box under the hood. It is labeled as a 20 amp high-current maxi cartridge fuse. (5 bucks each) If I change the fuse, it will blow again when I drive the car and the locks attempt an auto lock. Everything else on the car works except...
  5. C

Please help! 2002 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC

My 2002 explorer has a terrible rough idle and clanking sound. After its running a minute or 2 the RPM's level out just under 1000 but the clanking sound is still there. I'm getting lean codes p0171 and p0174 as well as misfire codes in all 6 cylinders. I've checked for vacuum leaks with carb...
  6. H

First time poster and ford owner ..coolant leak at only high rpm

Hello all i am a first time ford owner. Had to get something safer for the family and this was beat up outside but sposta be ok mechanically. Plus the price was in my very small budget. So lets begin 2002 explorer high miles i bought it today ... fellas crazy ex kicked and stabbed it repeatedly...
  7. N

3rd gen roof rack ?s

Anybody have a kayak transportation roof rack set up? I'd like to know what size and brand cross bars to look into. (3rd gen)
  8. Z

430 code need help

1st I have a 02 explorer xlt 4.6l 4dr and I know what 430 code is.. my issue is what would cause this code no leeks are found Banks 2 (both) read way rich Banks 1 (both) read 0 Reader says below threshold (spelling might be wrong) Idle is 1463 rpms I have a photo of code reader screen but...
  9. C

2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition- Life Gate Glass

Good Afternoon I have a 2002 Explorer that the life gate glass broke on me a few months ago. As most of you know that have had this problem it is an expensive piece of glass. I have contacted the local dealer and they tell me that there are different part numbers for the glass because of serial...
  10. T

2002 Alarm going off

My explorer has had this issue before. Just seems to fix itself. It also had the door ajar issues as well which I understand they are connected. This truck is now sitting, not being driven and the alarm just started going off, first time in a couple years. I disconnected the battery thinking...
  11. R

Head Gasket or Intake Manifold Gasket - How to tell?

Hey guys. I recently picked up a 2002 Explorer with the 4.0. It had been wrecked but otherwise ran and drove. I replaced the radiator, fan, fan clutch, and water pump (all damaged in the impact). While replacing the water pump, I removed the thermostat housing to give myself room. So I...
  12. N

Blacked out grill

Any pictures of a blacked out 3rd gen grill? I recently took mine off to clean, and I am interested in bed-lining it.
  13. N

Transmission Cooler

Hi, I own a 2002 EB edition explorer. It has 141k miles on it. Is it worth putting a transmission cooler on soon to prevent a transmission failure? Or is it too late?
  14. N

Body mounts for 2002 Mountaineer

I have a 2002 Moutaineer (4.0L-V6). As of late, it has been rattling quite a bit when I hit a pot hole. When I hit a pot hole I feel a loud thump right under the driver's side floor board. I replaced all the sway bar bushings & links and noticed that all my body mounts have deteriorated to...
  15. B

2002 ford explorer bypass ac

Just had a dilemma where my ac compressor became so loose that it nearly fell off. Upon further inspection, the bolts were broken off inside. Luckily I had made it home from work, but I was really worried about getting there the next morning! I had read about bypassing with a shorter serpentine...
  16. 0

IRS to SAS Swap

Hey everyone, New to this forum, I'm just looking to see if anyone has did a IRS to SAS swap on a 2002 Explorer. Im planning on doing this and im wondering if anyone has had any experience doing this or if theres thread somewhere
  17. P

Disconnected plugs-please HELP!

Hi, I'm new with Explorers. Moreover, I purchased a 2002 Ford Explorer two weeks ago. Now, I have notice that the Explorer have two plugs (connectors) disconnected and I want to know what it's the purpose of these cable plugs and why do you think they're disconnected. Location of the plugs...
  18. P

2002 roof rack repaint

Hi anyone repaint aluminum roof rack yet not much of a painter and how do I get these things off without destroying them do the bolts go all the way threw Thanks for any help
  19. T

02 Explorer liftgate Window

Greetings...Problem here: "supposedly" 02 through 05 Explorer rear liftgate windows are the same, right? WRONG!!!!! My 02 has totally different connectors for defroster and wiper motor than an 03...even the mounts where the gas shocks are reversed!!!! My 02 has the gas shock mounts towards the...
  20. A

4.0 broken crankshaft keyway

Well, my wife's 2002 Explorer (4x4) 4.0 experienced timing issues (stopped running suddenly, in traffic). I pulled the engine to replace the cassettes/tensioners. The front had already been replaced, the rear looks okay. When I turned the crank via the flywheel, only the crank turns. The keyway...
  21. B

2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 won't shift out of 1st

I am not seeming to have any luck over the past week or so. I have a 96 Explorer that is stuck in drive, and now my 2002 4.6 V8 is not shifting out of first. Any ideas what this could be? It's frustrating having both flipping out on me right now. Thanks in advance.
  22. K

2002 Airbag light flashing

My 2002 Explorer gets the airbag light flashing after being started for 4 minutes. After flashing for 1 minute, it stays on. I'd appreciate getting feedback on probable causes and probable estimated cost to fix at Ford dealership.
  23. N

2002 Rear Suspension work

Long time reader, first time poster. In preparation for the upcoming camping season I want to replace some suspension components to improve the ride, replace worn out part and give my wife some peace of mind that the Explorer isn't going to break down while on a trip. It is a 2002 XLT 4.6...
  24. R

2002 Explorer: Strange Leak

2002 Explorer: Transmission "Cup" Loose and Resultant Leak I've had my Explorer parked most of the year and I start it up periodically and take it for a little run. Yesterday, when I ran it I noticed that a stream of coffee-coloured fluid was streaming swiftly at the rear of the motor. It...
  25. K

Question about possible fuel pressure issue.

Hello all! To start out, my 2002 XLT's fuel gauge had not worked for years. And occasionally it would have some trouble starting. It would try to turn over but would not start until after about three tries. But that was rare. So I changed the fuel pump and sending unit. My gas gauge...
Back