2003 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 explorer

1. F

Everyone please help me find my car i sold

In December of 2018, my family sold our 2003 Ford Explorer XLS 4.0 V6 SOHC 4X2. As a first time driver, I am desperately trying to find it again. The car was sold to CarMax in Miami . The VIN IS 1FMZU62K03UC53132 . PLEASE HELP AS I WOULD CONSIDER BUYING THIS CAR BACK AND I MISS IT DEARLY
  2. J

New tranny - Need Opinions Please

HEY GUYS - I NEED OPINIONS! 2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L V6 FLEX 5 Speed Automatic So, my transmission finally gave out on my 03 Ford Explorer with 243k miles on it. I talked to my mechanic (totally honest guy that I trust). He ran the numbers and basically I'm looking at roughly between $1,500...
  3. B

2003 Explorer 5r55w transmission problems

So I bought this 2003 4.0 4x4 explorer 5r55w (180k) with all maintenance records for cheap. Dirt cheap. $1 cheap! Its in great condition inside and out. The engine is runs like new but the trans is not doing so good. Here's what I'm experiencing... Late engagement from Park to Drive/Reverse and...
  4. J

2003 Explorer Transmission Problem AFTER replacing solenoid

My vehicle is in the shop as I write this. The shop has been in business for decades, so I believe they know their craft. They replaced the solenoid pack and took my vehicle for a test drive, discovered a leak, but no other issues. After fixing the leak, they took another test drive, where the...
  5. C

Car Starts, runs for 5 Minutes Then .....

Hey Explorer Fam. Happy 2017!!!!!! I have a bit of a problem. I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 and when I start it it runs for a bout 5 minutes and the starts missing, and cuts off. If I try to restart it it turns but wont start, as if its out of gas. If I wait for about 30 minutes to an...
  6. F

Compatibility

Hi. I bought a 1996 Ford Explorer and I have a 2003 Explorer available for parts (2003 isn't mine). Are there any parts compatible? (Tranny, motor, body items, etc). Thanks
  7. J

Grinding noise when shifting from Park to Reverse

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer that does a loud noise and has trouble shifting from Park to Reverse, meaning it is not as smooth as it was before. The noise sounds like it may be coming from the transmission? Anyone know what is causing this? Thanks everyone :)
  8. B

03 explorer starter seems bound

Car would just bump for a quarter second then the starter wires started smoking. Replaced the starter. New one did same thing but after bumping a few times it cranked. When cranked there was a knocking almost like something hitting the bolts inside but not sure what's going on. Correct bolts...
  9. F

Shifter linkage issues

I have a 2003 ford explorer and we just replaced the transmission, now trying to get everything going and suddenly the column shifter slips through the gears and isn't shifting properly. I need help, I can't seem to find a darn thing on the Internet. If I need to tighten the shifter linkage how...
  10. W

2003 Explorer, Continuous Water Pump Problems

I am looking for advice on continuous water pump problems, 2003 Explorer, 4L, V6. We are the 3rd owner. Here's some history: Original Owner Records: Nov 2004 - Coolant Recovery Tank, Tstat, and Oring Replaced Nov 2006 - Owner complained of leaking coolant. Pressure tested and found water...
  11. M

Car Alarm Issue

Hello, I apologize if this question has already been asked/answered, but I did not see it listed. I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bower Edition - 150k miles. Today I began having an issue where I was driving down the road and the car alarm starting going off. I pulled over, put the...
  12. B

Speedo Question

Does anyone know if you can swap the speedo from an XLT into an XLS? I have a 2003 XLS and would eally like the Odometer functions from the XLT (compass, miles to empty, etc.) Has anyone done this or know if you can enable it on these models? The options flash when first starting the truck, but...
  13. Z

AC Grinding noise behing glovebox

I have searched everywhere and cannot find a problem exactly like mine. A/C works just fine. Air is cold and heat works like it should. Problem is the grinding noise coming from behind the glovebox. The sound is faint, but noticeable, on low, and gets louder and faster as the ac fan is cranked...
  14. B

CC not working after mechanic changed Bearings and Hub Assembly

Hi all, Looking for a little help here. I took my car to a mechanic to have the bearings and hub assembly changed on my 2003 Explorer, 4.0, V6, XLT. As soon as I picked it up, the cruise control had stopped working. It had been working until then. The CC turns on, and the green light...
  15. K

Is this even worth the money?

Hi all, Im new here and in need of some quality information that I cant seem to find anywhere else on the web. The dilemma Im having is with my 2003 Ford Explorer (V6 4.0L SOHC Flex Fuel) transmission. Everything was fine until my wife went to carry the kids off to school the other day and once...
  16. B

2003 Ford Explorer remote start not starting

Ok so I have a 2003 ford explorer that when I attempt to use the remote start, all the interior lights come on, including radio, and the engine clicks and something spins, but nothing starts, and I don't know where to go with this. It worked for a while with no problems, then quit when I...
  17. S

Had 3 teens beat another with a tire iron on my Explorer

Last night, in the parking lot of my apartment complex. Sounds like I live in a sketchy area, I know, but I live in a residential area, we don't even lock our doors at night! So strange. Anyway, they got the kid up against the passenger side of my car and hit him with a tire iron, resulting in...
  18. T

2003 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 engine failure suggestions?

I have a 2003 Explorer which I bought new. The explorer had about 66,000 miles on it when it began to make a rattle in January 2013. A mechanic told me he suspected the timing chains were bad and to sell it while it was still running. 2 weeks later the explorer died on the side of the road...
  19. B

2003 Ford Factory remote start.

ok 2003 Explorer XLT I have googled an googled and no help. so dont blast me an say search... Remote start Says Ford Remote start system on it. Eng P/N 2w7j-19g36-aa H63DB on the inside cover it says Bronze. REMOTE 2 button Fob.. Code System INC. FCC ID:GOH-FRDPC2002 Tried putting...
  20. D

2003 Explorer 102K miles, Keep or Sell?

Ok, I have the 2003 Ford Explorer Limited w/ the V8 engine... It currently has 102700 miles on it. I replaced the drive shaft, rear axle shafts, two pulleys, serpintine belt, struts, and the normal brakes suspension etc.... Is this worth keeping? Can I get 200,000? What major common...
  21. N

Stereo Help!!!

I am installing a new head unit in my 2003 Ford Explorer XLS and I cannot figure out what the three connections are that come out of the back... The wiring harness that is recommended only hooks up to one of the connections. Are they anything important??? If so, what is the work around?
  22. D

Upper Ball Joint

good day my fellow ford truck owners. i have a 2003 Ford Explorer that requires Ball joint replacement on the passenger side. Can i change JUST the ball joint or do i have to change the whole upper control arm? thanks in advance.
Back