2011 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1. W

1st post 2011 Explorer Help/problems

Sorry if this is posted incorrectly or in the wrong area, I will remove and/or repost in the correct please if I need to. So I have a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited with around 80k miles, I am not the original owner. I've had several problems and have some questions... I recently brought my car...
  2. S

Can I put an EcoBoost in my 2011

I have a 2011 Explorer XLT AWD with about 135k miles on it. We made a trip, tried I should clarify, and got about 900 miles from home and the water pump went out causing "catastrophic engine failure." Apparently when the water pump went out it flooded the engine with water/coolant? The car...
  3. C

2011 Front Lower Control arm replacement

Hi all ~ I've been a lurker for a very long time, have learned tons of tips and tricks on how to do things, what not to do, what to expect, etc. Super appreciative of everyone's help, even tho you don't know you've helped me. :) I have a 2011 Copper Limited, bought used in 2015. I have most...
  4. 1

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

2011 EXP LTD BD 06/02/2011. 1000 miles. Burnt oil smell during hard acceleration. This is easily repeatable and happens every time. Well now we have another confirmed issue with my LTD. Under hard accelerations coming from an on ramp and merging with fast moving traffic only. Other wise, all...
  5. Zohli

From Ford Lightning, to Subaru WRX, to Ford Explorer

Hello everyone! I tend to go by Zohli online whether it be gaming/forums/social media/etc. First car I owned was a 99 Ford Lightning while I was in highschool (horrible choice for a first car, might I add...) I drove the **** out of that car until the motor blew 3/4 years later due to a bad...
  6. A

2011 CV joint - need real time help please

Hi all, today I replaced the passenger side strut bearing and while removing the strut, I apparently let the control arm drop too low and thus separated the part of the axel that ties to the transhaft. The boot is still in tact, but the cv axel will not reseat again (I'm referring to the end...
  7. G

2011 Explorer towing concern

I'd consider myself a novice tow guy. I have a deep V boat I tow with both my 11 Explorer and 06 Escape without a problem. My wife and I now have a 18 foot hybrid travel trailer. It's dry weight is just short of 4000lbs and we've weighed it at 4200 when loaded with our gear. My question...
  8. X

Raspberry Pi on Explorer Headrests

So the other day I decided to try out my Raspberry Pi on my Explorer headrests to see how well it would work. Turns out it works out great! The Raspberry Pi is running RecalBox, used to emulate classic video game consoles, and controlling it with a bluetooth dongle and 2 PS3 SIXAXIS...
  9. G

Missing RDS Info on 4 Quadrant View

Hi, I have a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited with Sony/NAV. I am running the latest 3.6.2 load and I am having an issue with the Radio Station Text being displayed when in the main view. If I select the dedicated bottom left "Entertainment" view then the radio station information shows...
  10. G

How to Replace 2011 Explorer Drivers Tail Light Assembly

Someone backed into my driver's side tail light assembly and cracked it. The dealership wanted $500 for the part alone so I bought one online for half that. The problem is that the original part has a wire harness that is INSIDE the rear quarter panel. The replacement part looks great but i...
  11. S

Explorer 2011 SD Card Nav Error

Hello I just have this error from my Explorer 2011 that says it cannot reads the SD card for the maps I have the Map Version B1, the card appears to be perfect, and I get this error all the time since 1 week ago. I just insert the card today in my computer to see if I got a similar error...
  12. K

Want bucket seats for 2011 explorer

I have a 2011 explorer xlt, cloth seats, second row bench seat. Does any one know if I can buy factory bucket seats for the second row? If so, where? Two car seats in the second row makes the 3rd row useless. Thanks.
  13. T

Replacing bench with 2nd row bucket seats

I am considering buying the 2011 Explorer. I would really want to get the 2 bucket seats in the second row, but as far as packages go - this is only available in Limited with Rapid Spec 301A with Luxury Seating Package. That forces me to buy a lot of features I am not interested in. My...
  14. J

Shift to Park Warning

Shift to Park Warning keeps coming on Out of about 12 trips daily in my 2011 Explorer Limited 19K, at least 3 or 4 times each day I started getting the message "Shift to Park" along with a warning chime after pushing the lever to the park position and turning off the key. I have to move the...
  15. B

Opinions on fifth gen 2011 onward Explorer

I like how the fifth gen explorers look:thumbsup:, BUT there are a few things that I think should have been designed differently, does anyone here think so?:) Personally, I think Ford should have put bigger windows on it, and the radio antenna on the front right side as it always has...
  16. R

Please help wife is freakin out!!!

I will pay a handsome price for 2nd row bucket seats for a 2011 ford explorer. I dont care if its fabric or leather or what color i can order that through ford. Again i will be very generous with the cost as my wife didnt know it was a bench seat and getting kids in back to 3rd row is a...
  17. T

Did NOT get Factory Tow Package, Now What?

We found a 2011 gently used! However, it did not have the towing package. I'd like to add a class 3 hitch for 5000 lb capacity and 7-wire harness. I'd love to make this look as factory as possible. Anyone been there, done that? How'd it go? What was used? Did you mod the rear...
  18. G

iPad dock

I'm working on an iPad dock and here is the prototype. I cut a small piece of wood to the exact size of the recess around the media ports. Glued a standard Apple ipad2 dock on top of it. Used a bit of fiberglass repair kit to "mold" the two parts together, then painted it over with black spray...
  19. G

Back with a 2011 XLT!

Wow.... when I sold my '04 Eddie Bauer back in 2008 I didn't think I'd be back to this forum someday... was I wrong! Just picked up a brand new 2011 XLT in candy red! Options: 202A package and Navigation. This thing is so incredible. Test drove a few other cars, including the BMW X5, but...
  20. G

Remove Front License Plate Bracket

I just took delivery of a 2011 Limited. I told the dealer to leave off the front plate and dealer decals, but the front plate is mounted. Anyone know how to remove it (such that it is still aesthetically pleasing)? I already know how to rip it off! It seems to be some plastic rivet. I'd...
  21. Section 525 Birthday 2011

Section 525 Birthday 2011

22. Spas

2011 All Ford Nationals, June 3-5 Carlisle Pa!

I'm slacking, this thread should have been started two weeks ago :p: Once again, it's time to start planning for the East Coast's biggest Ford event; the All Ford Nationals at Carlisle, Pa! This year we're devoting our run to the memory of John Rock, our Sport Trac moderator and friend to...
  23. Turdle's birthday cake 2011

Turdle's birthday cake 2011

24. B

'11 Explorer videos for those considering to buy

HERE'S THE LINK I hopped on YouTube this morning and the 2011 Explorer's YouTube channel had this add up. For anyone who has not already seen them, there's quite a number of videos highlighting all the new Explorer's features with a few popular TV/Sports stars in them (I've been looking at...
Back