3.73 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1. 2

Question about swapping axle gears.

I’m thinking of changing my 3.55 gears to 3.73 gears. I’d like to change the gears instead of swapping the whole axle. Is a kit like this all I would need? I’d like to re-gear to run 32’s and 4.10’s aren’t an option for me. Thanks for any input...
  2. B

Ring Gear Decode?

I picked up a rear end out of a 1991 Explorer and was told it was 3:73 ratio now I tried the turning wheel watch the drive shaft and it appeared to be a 3:73. Can someone tell me how to decode the ring gear ? I'm told there's supposed to be two sets of numbers to divide to tell the ratio...
  3. 2

3.55 to 3.73?

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about switching the 3.55 gears in my 4.0 to the 3.73 LS. I've always lost traction when accelerating in the rain, even if I'm light on the gas. I've been through different tires and I still have this problem. I understand that the limited slip will give me better...
  4. S

Correct gearing for chunky 31" tires

Hi all, So I have been on the hunt for mpg ever since I got some new 31x10.5R15 Goodyear wrangler duratrac tires. They have a lot of rolling resistance and I have been getting less than 10 mpg with mainly city miles. I have been doing some research and the most likely solution to my problem...
  5. S

Need help with gearing choice!!!

I am getting gears for christmas, and im not sure what i should get I have a 2001 explorer sport 2wd, with (325/60R18) which is pretty much 33.5/13. I have factory 3.73 gears and i was thinking either 4.10 or 4.56, i do some highway driving, and i will pull a small trailer from time to time, So...
Back