‘06 Xlt 4.0 recalls

da fiddler

Reaction score
City, State
Scotland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 4XLT
Hi all!

I have the above Explorer, it’s going great, but I got to thinking....perhaps there are a few recalls or mods that I have missed. I have had the car 5 years, done only minimal servicing on it and thought maybe a little TCL wouldn’t be such a bad idea. Any suggestions, or any threads I should check out...?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all!

I have the above Explorer, it’s going great, but I got to thinking....perhaps there are a few recalls or mods that I have missed. I have had the car 5 years, done only minimal servicing on it and thought maybe a little TCL wouldn’t be such a bad idea. Any suggestions, or any threads I should check out...?
I got the Shifter remover and they installed a new one on my 06 explorer.

I do not think there are any recalls at this point. The list for maintenance/TLC may be long :)

Diff fluids, transfer case fluid, transmission fluid, antifreeze, brake fluid, power steering - those are items everybody tends to neglect.

Check all the ball joints, links, bushings.
Accessory belt, ......and so on.
Good luck

I do not think there are any recalls at this point. The list for maintenance/TLC may be long :)

Diff fluids, transfer case fluid, transmission fluid, antifreeze, brake fluid, power steering - those are items everybody tends to neglect.

Check all the ball joints, links, bushings.
Accessory belt, ......and so on.
Good luck
Good shout, I’ve just dug ou5 The Haynes manual, and will be going through the maintenance list, very similar to what you wrote above.
I guess my question stemmed from owning the previous gen Ex. Year 2000. I remember reading that there was a timing chain guard that needed to be swapped out on those engines, so wondered if anything like that should be done here. I thought they where the same engine...?

Good shout, I’ve just dug ou5 The Haynes manual, and will be going through the maintenance list, very similar to what you wrote above.
I guess my question stemmed from owning the previous gen Ex. Year 2000. I remember reading that there was a timing chain guard that needed to be swapped out on those engines, so wondered if anything like that should be done here. I thought they where the same engine...?
Did that job on my 97 several years ago. Truck got hit and totaled 6 months later

Back