‘97 Explorer Extended Crank issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

‘97 Explorer Extended Crank issues

JLindley

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ex XLT, '97 Ex EB
Hey all; I have a ‘97 Ford Explorer EB 4x4 with the 4.0L SOHC v6. Got around 82,000 miles on it. Here lately when I start the car it takes a lot longer than it should to start. Sometimes I have to put the gas pedal to the floor to get it to start but not always. Does either hot or cold. Just does it when it feels like it. Sometimes it starts up just fine. Took it to the shop for the 4th time and just picked it up today. Tried a new battery and relay switch for the fuel pump. We shal see if it behaves now, if not I’m going to have to take it somewhere else. My go to mechanic is out of ideas.
Here’s a list of things ive done to it to try and fix the problem:
Fuel Pump assembly, Spark Plugs & wires, Cam Sensor, Crankshaft Sensor, New Battery, Relay switch for the fuel pump. It holds pressure on the fuel supply end so it cant be the injectors. Coolant temp sensor is working ok according to the live scanner. I’m just at a loss people!! Any ideas??????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been driving with the new battery for a while and it still has the extended crank after running the car and letting it sit for bout 30 min to an hour. Anyone out there with similar problems and how it was resolved?????????????????

Could be a symptom of an out of spec Engine coolant temperature sensor, or weak fuel pump.

Next time you park it hot, try this. Switch the key on and off about 3 times, on the 4th time turn the key all the way to the start position. Does this make it start right up?

edit, new fuel pump does not rule this out.

Could be a symptom of an out of spec Engine coolant temperature sensor, or weak fuel pump.

Next time you park it hot, try this. Switch the key on and off about 3 times, on the 4th time turn the key all the way to the start position. Does this make it start right up?

edit, new fuel pump does not rule this out.

I’ve already tried switching the key off & on, does not work. Had fuel pressure checked and its where its suppose to be.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but putting the gas pedal to the floor while cranking does absolutely nothing on a fuel injected engine.

Correct,this procedure is also recomanded in the owners manual if the cylinders are flooded with gas. The engine will only crank but not start.

Took it to the ford dealer this time, it’s been there since 8 this morning; guess they’re keeping it over night cause they never called back after I talked to em around 2pm. They told me that fuel is leaking back but when you turn the key on the fuel pressure jumps straight to 40. Trying to figure out why it’s leaking back. Im not confident that the problem will be resolved. They’ve had it ALL day and no solutions. I’m just at the fu** it stage and just drive it. I’ve come to conclude that Fix Or Repair Daily is real life sh** when it comes to owning a ford

Correct me if I'm wrong, but putting the gas pedal to the floor while cranking does absolutely nothing on a fuel injected engine.

It does do something. It turns off the fuel injectors.

Back