Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

00 4.0 OHC dripping coolant from rear of right head, no chocolate milk in the pan....

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Larry Hampton, July 9, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Larry Hampton

Larry Hampton New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '03 Sport Trac XLT 2wd
      Replace just the head gaskets? Or heads too?

My daughter called me Wednesday, said Kevin's (what she calls her white xlt 2wd) temp gauge is pointing to H. She's about a mile from her destination (summer college course, gross anatomy). I told her to turn the heat on full blast and park it once she gets there, class is over at 6 and I'll come look at it.

Well, se gets out early and heads back to her place, no water added. Parks it and leaves it, drives a loaner car the next day. I go look at it Thursday, add a gallon of 50/50, then 1/2 gallon of water, hear dripping on the floor of the garage. Dripping from between the block and tranny. I told her to go straight to my house and park it.

Added 1.5 gallons of water this morning, leaking from the base of the passenger head at the rear. Oil is fine. Ordinarily, I'm a do it right the first time guy, I'd replace both heads with rebuilt ones and go on down the road. The issue is time and money (& heat!! It's hot in Oklahoma working in the driveway!!)

Easiest I figure I can do is pull that head, check for straightness and cracks, and if okay, pull the other, do the same and do both gaskets and back together. I am not looking forward to thus, I have two other cars down in the driveway that need attention too.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BubbaFL

BubbaFL Active Member

City, State:
      Central Florida
      1986 Corvette
      Have you taken a look at the thermostat housing and sensors yet? If not, take a look at that first - it could be leaking there, pooling up in the valley, and running down the back of the block.

If you pull the heads, the engine will have to be retimed. Most folks use the OTC toolkit ($150+). It is possible (but risky) to make do without them.

While you're in there, you should pull the front timing cover and inspect / replace the jackshaft timing components and left camshaft timing components if necessary.

4. Larry Hampton

Larry Hampton New Member

'03 Sport Trac XLT 2wd
      I did the t-stat housing on my 03 Sport Trac 4.0, is it much the same?

5. BubbaFL

BubbaFL Active Member

City, State:
      Central Florida
      1986 Corvette
      Very similar.

6. Larry Hampton

Larry Hampton New Member

'03 Sport Trac XLT 2wd
      I'm sorry, it's an overhead valve engine, that should make it easier and should eliminate the T-stat housing problem, correct?