Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

00M12 problem again????

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by bubi73, October 7, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bubi73

bubi73 New Member

City, State:
      Chicago, IL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 V6 SOHC
      Back in Dec '01 I took my '98 SOHC into the dealer because of a "clacking" noise coming from the engine and the rough idle. At that time, I was not aware of the 00M12 letter that was sent out to owners, but maybe because I moved I did not receive it. Anyhow, the dealer informed me of the voluntary recall and replaced the cam shaft tensioner and intake manifold gasket and everything was fine.

It's now ten months later, I am having the same problem again with the "clacking" noise and the rough idle. The problem started a couple of days ago and the "Check Engine" light has come on. OBD codes indicate a O2 problem (system too rich/too lean) which, I assume, is probably related to the gasket.

However, the past few mornings I have not been able to start the car. The battery has enough juice and I hear a clicking when turning the key but it won't crank over. I am however able to jump start the car with no problem. Once I get it started in the morning, I have no problem starting the car any other time during the day. Is the starter the problem here or is the problem just related to the intake manifold gasket?

Has anybody else experienced this? Also, should I have to get the cam shaft tensioner and manifold gasket replaced again? I would really appreciate it if anyone could guide me in the right direction. Thanks :)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. yob_yeknom

yob_yeknom Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Glade Hill, Virginia
      '97 XLT & '06 Limited
      I don't think that is your problem. The O2 sensor code is telling you one bank of the engine has a problem. That would explain the rough idle.

The starting problem is your battery. It is almost dead. Good enough to start in the daytime when the temperature is warmer, but not good enough to start when it is colder in the morning. It much easier to put out cranking amps than cold cranking amps. The clicking is the tell-tale sign of a dying battery. The fact that it starts fine when you jump start it proves it is indeed the battery.

4. Howard

Howard Moderator Elite Explorer Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Milton Keynes
      1998 SOHC UK SPEC
      The O2 prob sounds like the intake manifold wants tightening (remember they changed the gasket). Just my 2pence worth.