01' Explorer Accessory Wiring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01' Explorer Accessory Wiring

Matth931

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
I have a Sub box in the back of my explorer, and it has a 12v terminal for LED lights. But I have no idea where to even start when it comes to wiring. I do have an after market stereo and have an amp wired to the subs. If anyone can help me first find an accessory wire to tap into, then actually how to wire it. (again I need a 12v accessory wire) I would be very thankful. Thanks in advance from a newbie.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can anyone help me?

Might need more information, such as the purpose or future use of the wiring, what the load might be (peak load, probably) in amps (or milliamps).

I have a 2 meter / 70 cm ham radio in my '97 XLT, but I pulled a direct wire pair (10 ga, I think) from the battery, double fused next to the battery.

You can run under the carpet, without much worry, and if your load is light (like 1/2 amp or 500 milliamps), and you could conceivably pull from the same power line as the radio, trying to keep below the load on that fuse (10 amps, I think total, including the radio).

If you need to get direct power from the battery, there are little rubber hole-covers underneath the seats (and I think in a couple of other spots) that you can pierce with a wire, then when your done, seal around your wire and hole cut with some silicone.

Is that what you might need?

Mike Y
Dallas, Texas

In fact (after thinking about this for a couple of days! - heh), I'd run a hot from the battery, direct, as well as a wire from the radio power (the line that gets turned on & off via the Start / ACC switch), and a ground wire - don't rely only on 'chassis' ground.

Energize a 12V relay (automotive grade relay) with the wire from the switched lead from the radio power. Pass the hot from the battery through the switched side of the relay.
Now you have a secondary source of power, switched via the Start switch, and it won't load down the radio power - a relay will pull almost no power.

Mike Y
Dallas, Texas

I have a Sub box in the back of my explorer, and it has a 12v terminal for LED lights. But I have no idea where to even start when it comes to wiring. I do have an after market stereo and have an amp wired to the subs. If anyone can help me first find an accessory wire to tap into, then actually how to wire it. (again I need a 12v accessory wire) I would be very thankful. Thanks in advance from a newbie.

You have the same issue with my friend's car. He upgraded his switches by not tapping accessory wires instead he bought the AC Delco Accessory Relay. Since then, his car can handle large demands of accessories such as his auxiliary lights and speakers. This kind of switch relay allow higher electrical voltage to pass through without the risk of shorting and overloading.

Back