• Register Today It's free!

01 Sport - 15" Wheels

JSant722

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
I've been searching about wheels and tires for the past 2 weeks trying to see what I really want...I finally bought 15x8 (2.5" backspacing) wheels and a 31x10.5 tires...I just got a call from 4wheelparts (I ordered from them) and was told by one of their reps that 15" wheels wont fit my 01 sport...This is definitely news to me as I haven't seen anyone say that 15" wheels dont fit on the 01 sport.

Can somebody please help me. Does the 15" wheel really dont fit my sport?

PS: I have an 01 Sport 4X4 with a 2" lift (TT and add a leaf) and what's the biggest size tires can I get?

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They will fit. use my ex for an example. Now my 15's have 4.5in BS.

DSCN0300_zps2717eb64.jpg

If you see my signature below, you will see the mods that i have, 33's will fit with minor trimming without a body lift. If you put a BL on, then you will not need to trim.

here is a picture of my 33's with just a TT/AAL and shackles

ExplorerSide.jpg

Thanks a lot

Sports dont have different sizes brakes right? Cuz that's what the customer rep was saying.

I also will be changing my order once I get in touch with them again. From 2.5 backspacing to 3.75...I'm afraid the 2.5bs will cause easy wear on the mount like a wheel spacer would.

Actually Sports and all other Explorers from 2001 and later have larger front brakes. The 15 inch wheels for 2000 and earlier will NOT fit without interfering with 2001 Front brakes.

I had to get a replacement wheel after an accident, the wheel I received wouldn't fit on my front hub. The Tire center was stumped but I remembered about the "new" wheel. They changed the tire for the rear to the "new" wheel and everything was good. The "new" wheel I got from the body shop was an "Old 2000 and earlier" wheel.

Glad I Required them to give me back my original wheel as well.

That Sport in all Silver looks Sweet Dweeberman.

Thanks HR57...after seeing your post and talking to the rep...i cancelled my order and will be ordering a new package...a little bummed but whatever, i would have had to wait like 2 months to get them anyways

15" wheel fit

OK, so I'm new to the forum but have been searching all over for something similar to the original post. I currently have a stock 2000 Explorer sport. I'm in the market to change that and add some 31-10.5x15's. However, I have not been able to confirm whether or not a 15x8 steel wheel will fit over the calipers on my '00 sport. Just to clarify my sport has 16" wheels right now...and as we all know metric size tires tend to be more pricey..so I wanted to downsize to change to a black wheel and to also save some money down the road. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

if you have 11.25" front rotors a 15" wheel will fit.
if you have 12" front rotors most 15" wheels will not fit.

for the 12" rotors it depends on the shape of the 15" wheel, some after market ones have more room than factory.

Perry

Generally speaking you can fit a bigger rotor in an alloy wheel than a steel wheel.
The best ones are 2 part or 3 part wheels.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will have to check which rotors I have and go from there, but there is about a 1/4" gap between the highest part of the rotor and the stock 16" wheel. However the wheels I want have 3.75" backspacing so I guess it would depend on how the wheel is set up whether it will fit or not.
-Colin

Back