• Register Today It's free!

01 Sport Trac engine shaking

ertofu

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
I apologize if this is repetitive, but I searched and while I found similar threads they were old and didn't get resolved.

Short version: engine shakes at idle/low RPMs, giving it gas makes it go away, goes away completely after driving about 15 minutes, doesn't come back unless it sits for several hours, if I can keep it from sitting too much it won't throw a code. Please help!

Here's the story:

I've got a 2001 Sport Trac (had it for over 10 years) and have had almost no issues with it. It's got low miles (just under 137K). This past Friday, I started it up to leave work, and it started shaking pretty good at idle. Eventually the check engine light came on and also flashed at some points. After driving a bit, it quit. The next morning it did it again, so I pulled the code and got P0301. It was beyond my skill level, so I took it to a nearby shop.

They checked it out and eventually decided to replace the spark plug wires, the coil pack, and clean the fuel system. They ran it with diagnostics for a while and it seemed good to go. I took it home with no issues. Didn't drive it Sunday. Yesterday morning, it started doing it again. Same thing: shaking at idle/low RPMs, shaking a little at acceleration, then no issues by the time I get to work. I took it back and they checked it out again. They let it sit for a while since it seems like it happens after sitting a while and sure enough it started doing it so they could monitor it. So they hooked up to the computer to pull realtime data as it was acting up, and the computer says everything is working fine.

So they are stumped. They reset the computer and I took it home. They basically said to let them know if it got worse but that unless I wanted them to, they didn't want to just start replacing a bunch of stuff (I don't).

This morning it did it again. I tried to keep the RPMs up as much as I could by doing stuff like putting it in park at long stop lights and giving it gas. The check engine light never came on. It seems like whatever the problem is isn't directly causing a code; it's the shaking that's causing the code.

I'm hoping someone on here has a good solution. The truck's not worth too much and I'm planning on selling it at the end of the year. This issue is messing with my plans.

Thanks in advance!

Did you ever figure this out I have the same issues

Did you ever figure this out I have the same issues
misfire- po301 is misfire

could be

vacuum leak
fuel pressure
crank position sensor
wires/plugs

usually :D hope this help!

could be vacuum since it occurs when cold, as the seals heat up and swell it may seal, but not sure

Back