02 Expl. 4x4 doesn't work - not module or shift motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Expl. 4x4 doesn't work - not module or shift motor

michaelschneider

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I have read a half-dozen or so threads on 4 wheel drive problems, but the simple solutions others are finding successful have not worked for me.

My 4x4 on 02 Explorer quit working a while ago. Tried a new Control Module and that didn't help. Took the shift motor off and tested it - works fine. All fuses are OK. Back wheels spin in poor traction situation whether auto, high or low are selected. I do get appropriate dash lights after shifting into high or low, just no traction. I had the opportunity to look under the vehicle while the rear wheel was spinning on ice (do not try this at home) with 4 high and 4 low selected and not only was only one of the rear tires spinning, but neither of the front wheels were spinning and the front drive shaft was also not turning. I recently replaces the rear ABS sensor on top of the rear differential which cleared the ABS dash light and brought my ABS system back. Thought that it might bring 4x4 back, but it didn't. Somebody told me it may be the vacuum actuator on the front axle or a vacuum line which would auto-lock the front hubs, but if the front hubs weren't locking, wouldn't the front drive shaft still be turning if I am in 4 wheel drive? I am thinking that it could be the front or rear drive shaft sensor on the t-case which are connected to the shift motor. Do these sensors affect shift motor operation of the t-case? I know the shift motor itself works, just not when I push the button, even though the dash indicates 4x4 is on. The bushing on the gear in the shift motor is fine... is there anyway the motor could be somehow out of position as on the older versions?

Help!

Back