• Register Today It's free!

'02 Explorer 4x4 problems

Kamden

Reaction score
City, State
Norman, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I just bought a used '02 Explorer 4x4 and it's stuck in 4 High. I think the problem is the 4x4 module behind the glove box. If I try to shift in neutral, the 4 Low light just blinks. Before getting it fixed or the transfer case, if that's it, can I remove the front drive shaft so I don't cause any damage to the drivetrain?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought a used '02 Explorer 4x4 and it's stuck in 4 High. I think the problem is the 4x4 module behind the glove box. If I try to shift in neutral, the 4 Low light just blinks. Before getting it fixed or the transfer case, if that's it, can I remove the front drive shaft so I don't cause any damage to the drivetrain?

It's almost definitely the T case and yes you can remove it and not damage anything.

You may feel a bit of clunking when driving around as there is some slack I am sure in the T case that won't be taken up with the hub spinning freely but regardless it won't hurt anything.

It's almost definitely the T case and yes you can remove it and not damage anything.

You may feel a bit of clunking when driving around as there is some slack I am sure in the T case that won't be taken up with the hub spinning freely but regardless it won't hurt anything.

Is there anyway to know for sure if it's the module or the actual transfer case? and secondly do you know of any good websites instructing how to remove the front drive shaft?

I had a similar problem with my wifes '02 a few years ago. Replaced the module and all has been good since. From what I recall reading somewhere some of the original modules had issues if the battery was disconnected for any length of time. They are about $140 bucks new on ebay.

Is there anyway to know for sure if it's the module or the actual transfer case? and secondly do you know of any good websites instructing how to remove the front drive shaft?

I guess I should have been a little more specific in my statement... What I meant was that it was almost definitely something to do with the transfer case.. Meaning not the front or rear ends, or any of the stuff in between. Could be the module though honestly don't know.

The front drive shaft is held in by I bolts I believe. 4 in front 4 attached to the transfer case. Throw it in Park take off the 4 you can get to the put it in neutral turn the tires until the others are free to get to and then undo those 4

You may want to make a mark on both the driveshaft and the pinion flange on the transfer case side and differential side. This allows you to line up the drive shaft exactly how it was before for balancing purposes... Doesn't usually matter as it is almost never unbalanced if you install it at any orientation but it can't hurt to do.

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I appreciate it.

Back