02 Explorer - Trip Meter back to Miles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer - Trip Meter back to Miles?

HSpinks

Reaction score
City, State
SPRINGFIELD, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002, Explorer XLS
Hopefully I'm in the right section to post this!

I have a 2002 Explorer XLT (edited from XLS because I'm dumb) and have been having issues with it. Most recently was my high beams we're staying on even when the vehicle was off (not why I'm posting) - but whilst pulling the fuse for the high beams a couple other fuses we're pulled including the memory fuse (it was late, I was tired, and wasn't one of my best days).

Anyway, my trip meter reverted back to Kilometers - the original owner purchased it in Canada, I purchased it in the US - and I have no idea how to revert it back. I think I should have the message center (it shows the temp and compass) but I do not have the Setup buttons. I have the 4 wheel drive buttons on the left of my radio and blank "buttons" to the right.

Tried pressing and holding the Trip Reset button, and I found how to change my zone (was on the correct zone according to my owners manual) but that was all I was able to find.

I mean, I could certainly learn to convert km to miles, but it would be nice to go back to miles for my record keeping (and to not give my mechanic a heart attack when he goes to do more work on it since it looks like I've put 200,000 extra miles on it).

Any ideas for the noon here?
Much appreciated! I love my Explorer and am looking forward to learning more about her!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Press and hold the TRIP/RESET control switch to get to the SETUP MENU sequence from the INFO MENU for the following displays:
² System Check
² Units (English/Metric)
² Language
² Autolamp
² Autolock
² Autounlock
² Park Aid
² Oil Life Start Value
Briefly press the TRIP/RESET control switch to scroll through the SETUP MENU display sequence. If the TRIP/RESET control switch is not pressed within 4 seconds, the message center returns to the Info Menu.

Ok, gave that a try and I'm still only getting "zone". I pressed and hold the SELECT/RESET button for approximately 10 seconds and "zone" pops up. When I press the SELECT/RESET button again I can scroll through the zones (1-15). If I press and hold it again it just exits.
Am I missing something else?

"Zones" is for the compass, not the English/Metric conversion units.

That is what I figured it was for. But that is the only thing I get when I press down the SELECT/RESET. I'm not getting any other option.

Are you turning the key to "ON" or doing this with the engine started and running?

I have tried both ways. With the engine running if I hold it longer than 10 seconds it goes into calibration mode for the compass.

FTLoG, okay. You press TRIP/RESET briefly 5 times, Trip A -> Trip B -> Fuel status -> mpg display ->.SETUP MENU. Once you hit the setup menu, press and hold TRIP/RESET button until the setup options appear (above), one of them (perhaps even the first) will be Units English/Metric. There's where you can change the display.

I even did this while driving, so it doesn't have to be just key-on or running or either or neither.

I must be a lost cause or I have an issue with my menu
Tried this with the engine on and off.
Starting with odometer I press the SELECT/RESET button briefly and it goes to TRIP (there is no A or B, 1 or 2, I only have one trip reader). If I press the button again it goes back to odometer and back to trip (no matter how many times I press it).
If I hold it down from odometer it will go to trip and if I hold it a couple seconds after it flips I get the Zone underneath (where temp and direction normally are). If I hold it longer I get the Calibration screen (when the engine is on or off).
I've tried holding it down varying times and varying combinations.

I appreciate you trying to help, but I think I might have something else wrong that is preventing the setup access or my vehicle is just special and requires something else. I have other electrical issues seeming to be happening so it wouldn't surprise me if that is somehow tied into it.

I'm taking it in next Friday for some other work, I'll have to see if my mechanic has any ideas or is able to figure it out.

But seriously thanks again for your effort. Sorry to be such a pain.

I think I see where my problem is. I don't have the Setup buttons. Where they usually are I have my 4wheel drive buttons.

I'm trying to figure out a way to do it without those Setup buttons.

I am not sure. They weren't there when I got it.
The 4 wheel drive buttons are to the left of the radio and where there should or could be 3 other vertical buttons are just blanks. No actual button to press.

Are you sure it's a 2002 XLS?

Oh jeezus. I'm an idiot. It's a damn XLT.

My 2002 XLS does not have the setup buttons, and the odometer display is the same as the OP (1 trip meter).

My 4WD buttons are on the left as well.

I don't think it matters if it's an XLS or XLT, it matters if you have the info center or not. Obviously me and the OP do not.

Regardless, there still has to be a way to reset the scale back to miles. Perhaps using Forscan?

Sounds like that might be your best bet, or take it to the local shop who may scan and reset it for you cheaper than the dealer. Or learn metric! :)

Well, my mechanic had no idea how to change it to miles, BUT I finally got it changed.

.....took me killing my battery and getting a jump... But it reverted to miles!

I don't understand the mechanics or why, but am happy to report it's back to miles and I don't have to learn metrics (yet).

Thanks for all the input!

Back