02 Explorer was towed, now problems! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer was towed, now problems!

AceAny1928

Reaction score
Monday morning at 2am the alternator went out on my 2002 Ford Explorer v6 4x4. And I was in the middle of nowhere. Called the towing company and had them come out to tow me to the nearest town, 30 miles away. Guy arrived and hooked up my Explorer with the front wheels touching the ground. I told him that it was an auto 4x4 drive he said it was fine. I asked him if he wanted me to put the vehicle in neutral and he said, "no, just lock the steering wheel".

He towed me to Traverse and I had the alternator replaced. Today we got some snow and I drove to work to find that my ABS light is now on, and I'm sliding around all over the place. 4x4 is not kicking in. Tried putting it in 4x4 and nothing happened.

So here is my question, what the hell did this tow truck driver do to my truck? And should I be holding the towing company responsible for any repairs or should I call my insurance company?

Please help...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would first check the forum serch and troubleshoot your 4x4 system. 4x4 module/fuses/electric 4x4 motor/4x4 switch ect. Then after that if you find that the problem was caused by their neglagence, if it is a serious issue, I would definetly go after them.

Any decent tow truck driver with suspend all 4 wheels on a 4x4 or use a flatbed call and complain theres no excuse for him not using dollies or calling a flatbed period

I have to agree but you need to have somebody reputable to diagnose the problem in order to lay blame if you go after them. I have seen it before with major expenses attached, never let anyone tow without four wheels off the ground

As mentioned, never tow a 4x4 Explorer without it being on a flatbed, even says so in the owners manual.

You mentioned you had snow, so I assume it's pretty cold. Whenever I leave my Explorer outside and the temps get below freezing when I first start it, the ABS light will be on and it doesn't work. I simply turn the engine off, start it right back up and it works like a charm. Hopefully it's that simple for you.

Well, I am taking it to two different shops to have it diagnosed. After I figure out exactly what is wrong and hopefully some evidence that it was caused by the tow. Once I have the figures on the damages I'll take them to the tow company and give them a chance to make this right. If they don't I guess I'll end up in court. Because I have a feeling the cost of damages are going to be higher than I want to cover by myself.

As for the ABS light it might have been caused by the cold but I live in Northern Michigan where I get below freezing temperatures all winter long and I have never had a problem before with the ABS going out.

I'm just hoping that the towing company does the right thing and makes this right, because I really don't want to drag this through court.

Talked to the dealership they are going to diagnose my truck on Monday. Talked to the towing company manager and he basically said that there is no way the tow caused a 4x4 malfunction. He was saying if the 4x4 tried to kick in while the rear wheels were suspended while the truck was in park that the truck wouldn't move at all. I understand that he isn't trying to claim responsibility and I have a feeling this is going to go to court which I hope it doesn't. Manager was angry with me saying, "they'll blame us, they always blame the tow. It's the easy way out."

I just find it hard to believe that everything is working fine before the tow and then my 4x4 goes out right after the tow. That's a hell of a coincidence.

Anybody have any idea how much something like this will cost? I'm hoping maybe it is just the module and will be a couple hundred dollar fix. At which point I may just say piss on it and pay for it myself, wouldn't be worth going to court over.

I'll never let my Explorer be towed without a flatbed ever again, that is for sure...

Edit: Just checked the ABS light is no longer on, so that might have been from the cold. Thanks for the heads up! Now just the problem of not having 4x4.

The ABS not working when it's cold is kind of weird, but restarting the Ex always makes it work:D

If it's proven that the 4x4 was ruined from the tow company, make sure they take full responsiblity. If you have the owners manual, you can show that it infact shouldn't have been towed unless on a flatbed. Heck, they should be knowledgable enough about that to avoid any problems.

If it's the 4x4 module, I don't blame the tow company because I can't see how that could ruin it. You'll have to get that fixed yourself.

Either way, good luck!!!

Every tow company knows u suspend all 4 wheels on a 4x4 period, the driver got lazy or the company sent a truck that didnt have dollies offcourse the court will blame them its a known fact and happens all too often.

The companies ive worked for wouldnt even argue the fact theyd fix the 4x4 and fire the tow operator there is no excuse period

Back