02 Explorer XLS 4.0 4WD - A few questions and issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer XLS 4.0 4WD - A few questions and issues

ConFewzHed

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
I recently purchased a used 02 explorer XLS as my son's first car. It seems to drive ok, but things just don't seem quite right.
The outside air temperature and compass thingy built into the instrument cluster in the dash only show "------". Where are the sensors for those things? Or how can I turn them off?
I also have an 04 Freestar. When you start driving, the doors lock automatically. Not so with the Explorer! Are the doors supposed to lock automatically when you start driving?
It's supposed to be 4WD. The 4WD doesn't engage, and the 4x4 light doesn't come on at all. I get the 4x4 Low light during start-up, but that's it. I think I read somewhere in here that it could be a 4x4 module. Any other ideas? And where is that thing?
Some of these things I'm sure I could figure out myself, but the electrical/wiring diagrams in the Chilton's manual are garbage! Are there any good sources for wiring diagrams for this thing?
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you first test drove the vehicle, did the 4WD operate in the low range? Would be easy to tell as the engine RPMs are a lot higher for the same speed. I have a Haynes manual for mine which seems to have decent electrical drawings. All except for the 4WD that is. As far as the doors locking when starting to drive, there should be instructions in the owners manual in the glove box for turning this feature on or off. I have planned on turning mine off for years and found the instructions but never did. I believe the compass sensor is in front of the inside rear view mirror.
Hopefully others will chime in to help with your issues.

The 4wd hasn't worked at all. When I test drove it, the 4wd did nothing then as well. I figured I was doing something wrong that prevented it from coming on, and the vehicle is road worthy (I live in San Diego, so 4wd isn't really a need). I'll have to go through the owners manual and see if I can find that particular set of instruction...

4wd not engaging sounds very much like the 4x4 Module may be bad. I recently bought an 02 XLT and had the same issue. 4wd would not engage and none of dash 4wd lights would come on (at switch). No clicking or anything either. I took a chance and just replaced the 4x4 Module located behind the glove box. Everything worked perfectly after that. The repair is simple and I believe outlined somewhere on this forum and definitely on youtube. 15 minutes if you know what you are doing. 30 if you are just sort of handy. Key, as I remember, was to just take out screw holding mounting bracket in and then to remove bracket from bad module vs. trying to remove module from bracket (where one screw is in back and hard to reach). Also, two plugs just pull directly out, no need to pinch in sides or anything. New modules about $350 at dealer and used as low as $50 on ebay and salvage yards. Good luck.

Also, I'd check the relevant fuses first.

The temperature sensor is mounted in front of the condesor, behind the plastic grill.

Yep temperature sensor is very easy to get to. When I bought my 2003 XLT last August it was showing 120 degrees all the time. I took out the chrome grill (very easy to remove just a couple screws/clips) and it should be right there on the left side in front of the condenser as Drew said. I bought a standard made temperature sensor off ebay for 13 bucks shipped and it fixed it right away. Also as far as the locks auto locking when putting it into gear that depends on whether or not they previous owner cut that wire/disabled that option. I did that on my '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee as it had factory keyless entry. My dads 2005 Freestar also auto locked originally from factory but the previous owner had cut that wire so we had to splice it back in but that was 7 or 8 years ago when we did that. Wish I could tell you were to look for that as it was under the dash in a mess of wires but it has been too long.

Back