02 Mounty V8 AWD Constant popping or clunk when turning insight spaces | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Mounty V8 AWD Constant popping or clunk when turning insight spaces

LukeOmalley

Reaction score
City, State
connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Mountaineer V8
Ok, 170k on my Mounty. I had the mounting bolts loosened and retorqued 2x's by 2 different shops. The first time all noise was gone when turning the vehicle. It started to come back, and by the time I git it looked at again, Colonial Ford Danbury CT. It was as bad a sound a when it was done just 2 months prior. The said that they did the same loosened and retorqued mounting bolts. It got quieter but the sound is still present. It happens in tight turns in forward and reverse. The sound is like metal on metal popping. I went back to the dealer and they said it can be one of many possibilities, like the front ax or something but that they couldn't figure it out without trying things first.

I replaced both from hub assemblies 2 months ago and I think the rears may need some attention as well. Get a grumbling/groan when turning as well, I can feel it in my feet and through the drivers seat. It's worse when the car is heated up. Highway driving and the pulling into parking spots or parallel parking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Luke :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, 170k on my Mounty.
It happens in tight turns in forward and reverse. The sound is like metal on metal popping.

First thought at 170k This could very well be a symptom of the Viscous Clutch going out. The test is to remove the front drive shaft and see if it disappears. The viscous is supposed to slip in turns, it sounds like its grabbing or not slipping correctly.

With the drive shaft removed and the sound is still there that would suggest the diffs. Also another problem could be the CV joints, check for cracked boots.

Thanks for your help! I also neglected to state that the dealer said my 02 Mounty is stuck in AWD... how do I get this sorted out with the other items listed like the popping while turning in tight spaces and the groaning vibrations/rubbing felt through the floor boards and seats? Thanks!

Are you positive the popping is from the AWD? I have a popping that I suspect is due to the fact that the nipple O.D. of the end link bushings is smaller than the holes in the LCA and sway bar. I have some performance suspension bushings that I'm going to try that will fit in that hole tighter, I just need to enlarge the inner hole of the bushing to accept the existing end link bolt.

No, I simply don't knowbwhere it's coming from, just trying to inform. I do need help & appreciate your efforts... Please let me know how you make out.
Cheers!

I did get the driver's side bushings replaced today. Drove around a bit today and so far so good. Drilling out the holes was no fun. The new polyurethane bushings don't compress nearly as much as the rubber ones when torqued to spec. You might want to look there instead of the AWD; this fix would be much easier and cheaper.

BTW, I thought the Mounties were AWD, meaning you can't turn it off and being "stuck" this way is by design? Otherwise wouldn't this be called 4WD?

AWD should have a front diff but no switches on the Dash = AWD (viscous clutch)
4WD - Switches on the dash, these have a electric motor to engage.

If it really is AWD and the dealer said 'stuck' that could mean the AWD failed in a locked state. They fail open (nothing happens up front) or closed which forces the Front/Rear drive shaft to spin at the same speed.

Thanks JRF for your reply. Does anyone know what to do when the AWD is stuck and not just engaging when needed.

Back