02' Off Road Build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

exploderbuild

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer EB 4.0 4wd
So I picked up this 02 Eddie 4.0 on the super cheap. It has 310k on it lmao, no idea on the history but the trans seems solid- numbers look good on the engine's pressure(about 160 psi on the left bank, didn't bother with the other side). Think it needs a timing job on the front- it has a knock/ marble noise near the harmonic balancer(ran with serp off, noise persisted). So far my list is:

-BWM (hopefully this get's the 4wd going)
-Rancho quick lift ( https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2160134&cc=1377660&jsn=3503 )
-265/75R16 tires, maybe a size down b/c I need the travel
-Delete running boards
-Skid plate
-Servo mod/fix (yeah, the trans feels like that hasn't been done)
-Aussie locker
-Roof Tent
-Off Road Lights
-Winch

Any advice/ feedback would be greatly appreciated, the truck was $350- so I'm prob gonna start with the first four (and the timing, lol). What tends to break on these when your off road, asides from a spare serp, farm jack, decent tire (does anyone have trouble with the departure angle- hitting stuff with the spare lol)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would consider other lift options than the ranchos, just because they are so expensive. You could re-use your struts, or get cheaper struts with strut spacers, which is essentially the same thing the Rancho quick lift is. Also, it is always a good idea to have a full size spare and a jack.

I would consider other lift options than the ranchos, just because they are so expensive. You could re-use your struts, or get cheaper struts with strut spacers, which is essentially the same thing the Rancho quick lift is. Also, it is always a good idea to have a full size spare and a jack.
Thanks for the tip! I was only considering them b/c it would be about $700 for all four corners, idk if the "off road" aspect is a bunch of marketing bull. Thinking the spacers might be fine- although I'm a little worried about the reduction in travel.

What is the "BWM" ?? thanks !

Any update? Did you install a new bumper for the winch?

Back