'02 Performance Chip - Tech question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 Performance Chip - Tech question

major9000

Reaction score
City, State
Bolingbrook, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
I just purchased a GForce Performance Chip and I need to find the two wires that lead to the MAF/IAT sensor to install the chip. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum:chug:

I moved your thread to our Modified 2002 - 2005 subforum. Hopefully someone will have an answer for you.

Welcome to the forum:chug:

I moved your thread to our Modified 2002 - 2005 subforum. Hopefully someone will have an answer for you.

I would recommend moving it to the Modified Sport Trac forum instead, someone may be able to better answer there.

MAF/IAT sensor wires

I don't know about your Sport Trac but on my 2000 Sport there are six wires to the integrated MAF/IAT sensor.

MAF sensor:

RD, supply
BK, ground
LB/RD, sensor ouput to PCM (possibly what you need)
TN/LB, sensor return to PCM

IAT sensor:

GY, sensor ouput to PCM (possibly what you need)
GY/RD, sensor return

Ford usually doesn't change wiring colors unless there is a good reason so yours may be the same. Be advised that the sensor returns above are separate and not the same as ground. If the GForce Performance Chip only has one input for the MAF sensor and one input for the IAT sensor and uses ground as a return the values read will not be accurate. However, GForce may have known this and compensated accordingly.

intake air temperature converter

I went to the GForce Performance website and read their technical information. Apparently, the installation is limited to altering the two wires connecting to the IAT sensor and nothing more. They claim the chip "adjusts your air/fuel ratio, ignition timing, and other aspects of your vehicle's engine to SAFELY increase the power, while increasing fuel economy significantly." It is true that tricking the PCM by converting actual intake air temperatures to something else will affect the AFR and ignition timing but it is an extremely crude method of doing so. Converting a high intake temperature to a lower value will result in advanced ignition timing and richer AFR. This crude trick was used by home performance enthusiasts in the 1970s when fuel injection first became commonly availabe on U.S. automobiles. It may result in a measurable slight horsepower/torque increase but will also increase fuel consumption. You probably won't notice the performance increase while driving but you will notice the fuel consumption increase when filling up the tank. I suggest that you return the chip without installing it and ask for a full refund in accordance with their advertised guarantee.

return it if you still can. gforce sucks. Save money and get a henson tune. This is the best tune you can get for the explorer. Horsepower costs money any way look at it. Dont you think everyone would have one of these if it added 30hp for only 70 bucks?

I was also looking at the GForce Performance chip, but after reading here, I will pass. I am interested to hear more about the custom tune by Henson. I only see a place in Alabama. How do I find out more about this?

Henson custom tune

James Henson is an authorized SCT dealer who is very knowlegeable of tuning our Explorers. It is difficult to achieve improved fuel economy and improved performance and I think James avoids tuning for fuel economy. He did a custom tune for me when I modified my intake system. I'm using him again for a custom tune for my M90 supercharger and high flow exhaust modifications. Here's a link about my first tune: Custom tune by Henson

Gforce instructions:
step one- take box in hand
step two- open trash receptacle
step three- insert gforce "chip" into trash receptacle
step four- quickly walk away from trash receptacle

All those cheap "chips" are, are a "resistor box".

Your IAT sensor works off of resistance. You can literally make that same "chip" for like $1 using Radio Shack parts.
All the resistor does is TRICK the IAT sensor into thinking its colder out side. There are tables in the PCM that adjust the timing via IAT temps. BUT that is not just the only thing that the IAT does. So TRICKING the sensor does NOTHING for you, and in some case can cause damage.

Save your money and get a REAL tune. I personally tune all fords, including my personal 5.4 swapped Explorer, with SCT. (edited by admin)

Back