02 relays chattering under dash

Opera House

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer 3.5L base
My 02 Explorer has had chattering under the dash for about a year off and on. Thought it was the climate system but it has become more regular now. Yesterday it was almost constant and noticed it would stop anytime I put on the brake or use the turn signal. It also stops if emergency flashers are turned on. The chattering will also continue if the key is removed and door is opened. When it is chattering with key removed you can operate the turn signals but they flash very quickly and erratically.

It appears to be in the electrical block above the emergency brake. I unbolted the largest connector, inspected it for corrosion and sprayed contact lube on it before bolting it back in. Wiggled the other connectors and that seemed to make no difference. Anyone have any experience with this? No other noticed electrical problems except keyless entry stopped working about 3 years ago and airbag light is on. Heard there was a connector under the seat that caused this. Sunroof leaked a lot and had to drill a hole in the floor pan to get the water out before that leak was fixed. Can someone point me to a wiring diagram, I believe the problem is external to the board under the dash. Thanks.

There are relays mounted to top side of that fuse panel you attempted to pull out. I suspect that could be what you are hearing.

Back