02 Sport - Difficulty accessing winch to lower spare | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Sport - Difficulty accessing winch to lower spare

danny8280

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to drop the spare since I will be working on the body mount bushings and a few other things in the vicinity. I noticed the access hole does not line up all the way to the winch to be able to engage and lower the spare. What can I do regarding that? I'm trying to avoid cutting the bracket that holds the spare up. I haven't tried removing the bumper yet to see if i can gain any easier access.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the failed rear body mounts cause the misalignment? Would lifting the frame with a floor jack help?

I noticed on mine (non-sport) that I needed to tilt the bar a little downwards (or I might have just been looking at it ****-eyed) to get it aligned. I would just keep at it, you'll know it's in the right spot if it either works or gets stuck because it's rusted too much to turn.

All the mounts except for the front two under the radiator have disintegrated. I wouldn't doubt it, along with the fact the leafs look like they have flattened a bit. I'll give that a shot this weekend.

[MENTION=3276]JC[/MENTION]: I tried that. It's at a far enough angle that the bar won't get back towards the winch. It only gets half way and I can see the scraping on the bar itself that tells me it only goes in so far. I'm going to try what swshawaii recommended of lifting the frame with a jack to see if it I can get it to come back into alignment. It seems like the upper guard that is between the spare itself and the truck body is what's in the way.

going from memory, so I could be wrong, but isn't the hole under the lift-gate that the jack rod goes through just a black piece of plastic? can you loosen/remove the piece or elongate the hole? I seem to remember seeing screws on that piece. the spare tire winch has a trumpet-like piece that the rod goes into, the rod has a spoon-like end with a kind-of hook on it. once it's inserted all the way in engages the winch.

^Ditto that. Why didn't Ford use a standard 3/8" square drive or similar. :scratch:
Guess that would have made too much sense. :confused: Tip also breaks easily.
9651ff80-f7e5-4dbf-82de-129569166307.jpg

going from memory, so I could be wrong, but isn't the hole under the lift-gate that the jack rod goes through just a black piece of plastic? can you loosen/remove the piece or elongate the hole? I seem to remember seeing screws on that piece. the spare tire winch has a trumpet-like piece that the rod goes into, the rod has a spoon-like end with a kind-of hook on it. once it's inserted all the way in engages the winch.

There is a colored plastic trim piece with a couple (either screws or pop rivets) fasteners but it's just decoration. Behind it is metal with a nickel sized hole stamped out.

Back