'02 ST Fog lights flaking out! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 ST Fog lights flaking out!

Reaction score
City, State
Hazleton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
Hey guys! My 02ST fog lights have been acting very strange lately. I normally drive with them ON at night or in the early morning, and just the last few days they have been turning off and on by themselves. I noticed that the indicator light on the center dash also goes out when they turn off, then turns back on when they come back on...Very weird, thought maybe a relay, switch or ???
Any thoughts would be welcomed, as I really don't want to just change parts and finally find it :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the relay in the underhood relay box mine was turning green in the connections new one and cleaned connections on box with some dielectric grease took care of it.. my washers relay was bad too check them all...

OK, after some checking the only thing I could find through my owners manual/ fuse relay section, was only a fuse associated with the Fog Lights. Does anyone know if it also uses a relay in conjunction with the fuse? Kinda at a standstill, if no relay is used, would it be the switch on the dash?
Thanks!:D

on the right front frame rail below the air cleaner there is a black box take the cover off there you will see relays, remove the right front relay that should be the fog lights check if its all green... or the connections are green they need to be cleaned or replaced can send you schmatics tomorrow from work.. cant get into the ford system from home

fog lamp relay is in the under hood electrical center (the lided box towards the firewall on the drivers side of the vehicle) the relay is 45a which is the half sized relay in the forward left hand side (with perspective to the vehicle) of the box. the fog fuse is 31 from the firewall you pass over the full size relays and come to a 4X6 bank of mini blade fuses it is the second row third one in when looking front the front of the truck

hope this helps

I had a hard time finding the 45a relay in the box, as the lid description and the actual relay layout was very different. So I turned on my lights and the foglights and began pulling each relay one at a time, to my dismay the foglights never turned off! So does anybody have any ideas now?? Quite a puzzle....Oh yeh, they still turn off and on at random while I'm driving :-(

I will send you some info from my shop manuals when I get home tonight.

Goodman Racing, check your PM. I have sent some good info. ;):thumbsup:

Back