Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

'02 Trac is toast, what should I do with it?

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by shiphorns, July 9, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. shiphorns

shiphorns New Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Sport Trac 4x4 XLT
      My 2002 Sport Trac with 130k on it started misbehaving yesterday, stalling, engine stuttering and jerking so hard the truck shakes, light grey smoke out the tailpipe, oil coming out places it shouldn't (lots of oil out the breather hose into the air intake) and throwing codes for running lean and multiple cylinders misfiring. My mechanic thinks it needs a new engine, the parts and labor for which are more than I want to put into a 130k vehicle ($1800 minimum for used engine, at least as much in labor).

So, I'm wondering what I should do. Is it worth bringing someplace that will service the engine rather than just try to replace it, or should I junk it/part it out? I don't know exactly what's wrong, but I'm thinking possibly a piston ring failure?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ncranchero

ncranchero Co-moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Denver,NC
      '94 F150 4x4 SWB 4.9L
      Hate to hear that about your trac. BTW, I love your horn videos ! ! ! So, your mechanic "thinks" it needs a new engine? Has it been determined exactly what is wrong with it? Keep in mind that you can install a used long block from a 4.0L Mustang, just use your accessories. They should be easier to find & cheaper. Check THIS THREAD out. If you were closer I'd send you home with a parts truck with a good drive train for less than the price you quoted. I'd consider the Mustang swap if it is serious engine damage.

Check out your PCV system ........

4. MidnightRebel07

MidnightRebel07 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, Pa.
      2003 Explorer Sport Trac
      You could always donate it to me, lol. Check out what Steve mentioned. Whatever you do don't scrap it, their getting header to find parts for.

5. shiphorns

shiphorns New Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      2002 Sport Trac 4x4 XLT
      I think at the very least I'm going to get a second opinion on it's "totaled" status. In the short term, I'll probably get it towed back to my driveway. I don't have a garage or the facilities or tools necessary to swap the engine myself (nor the time, I'm working 50+ hours a week). But I could redo the PCV, replace all the known-troublesome sensors and such.

What I'm concerned about mostly is all the oil that's coming out of the crankcase breather tube into the air intake. The air filter is full of oil. Is that a definite sign of something very bad internal to the engine? Well, that and the misfire codes. In the past, when the IAC and DPFE have crapped out, I got P0171 and P0174, but never the misfiring cylinder codes.

6. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      compression test results?

Ask the mechanic what the results were of the compression check he performed. I would think most reputable mechanics would be able to tell you why the engine needs replacement with some tests to back it up. A compression test would provide useful information.

7. cjmedina

cjmedina Active Member

City, State:
      Central New Jersey
      3 Explorers 01,99,99
      Jumped timing

It sounds like the engine has jumped timing perhaps by one tooth. It may have bent valves.

As StreetRod said. Find out what were the test results by the mechanic, specially a compression test.

You could get a replacement engine from the junk yard and many do installations with warranty....less then $1000

Cliff

8. shiphorns

shiphorns New Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      2002 Sport Trac 4x4 XLT
      I'll have the full results tomorrow. I'll ask about the compression test, timing belt and PCV. I'm not going to give the OK on an engine swap based on "maybe there's something wrong in the engine".

I put a lot of work into the front end of this vehicle already this spring, so it may end up sitting in my driveway until I can afford a rebuilt engine for it, or I may sell it for parts and just put the money down on a new one. It depends on how bad the final verdict is. The truck has about $2000 worth of other wear and tear issues (coming due for a new wheel bearing, brake job, etc) so it very well might be time to junk it and move on...