Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

02 Tranny swap from 04 parts vehicle.

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Joscibo, August 25, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Joscibo

Joscibo Active Member

City, State:
    Central Wisconsin
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2004 Explorer
    Looking for any tips on this swap? I have the tranny almost ready to pull the Trans out of the parts vehicle and I am concerned with the exhaust manifold bolts on the good rig. I tried to get the manifold bolts off the header pipe with an impact that didn't even budge. I have the good rig soaking with penetration oil for a few weeks now hoping they will break free. Any ideas for pulling it off a little easier would be great.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. bizzs

bizzs Active Member

City, State:
    Gibsonia Pennsylvania
    2018 Ford Explorer XLT
    Try to heat the bolts up to where they are cherry red and use the impact. I had two that broke on me and I was lucky that the stud threaded out. My local parts store did not have studs that would fit so I had to purchase them from the Ford Dealer. They were not too expensive.

Good luck

4. JoshMcMadMac

JoshMcMadMac Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Waynesboro, PA
    2002 Mercury Mountaineer
    Kroil is a great penetrating oil, try that. I would be hesitant to swap a used 5R55 transmission that I was not sure to be in incredible shape, though. They are way too problematic and too much of a pain to swap for the risk of a used one dying any time soon.

5. Joscibo

Joscibo Active Member

City, State:
    Central Wisconsin
    2004 Explorer
    I plan on using some heat to get the stubborn bolts out. I have a good tranny to swap out and my plan is to swap and sell this rig. I bought this rig to flip because I had a good parts vehicle that had a fatal timing chain ordeal. I agree it's plenty of work I already have the tranny out of the parts vehicle with the transfer case as well. The tranny is good and it's worth rolling the dice for saving a few thousand dollars on a rebuild. If I was going to keep it I would definitely spend the money on it. I have the intake off and plan on fixing the valve cover gasket leak at the same time.