• Register Today It's free!

'02 Transmission

Matt NEMO

Reaction score
City, State
Williamstown, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
My wife & I just bought a new XLT. Can any one tell me anything about the new trannies in the '02's?

What model number is it? (example - C6, E4OD, ect)

Any high mileage feedback on them yet?

Is it really not serviceable? I was told it was totally enclosed. There is no pan to drop in order to change the filter & fluid.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I go almost 40K on my 02 and haven't had any problems, I had the fluid changed about 5K miles ago. They said that it ran pretty clean.
I could be wrong here, but I think that you can have the pan revoved, but you are right, it is pretty enclosed. Not even a dip stick, for that reason, I had the dealership change the fluid.

I thought the new x's had no service trany's

The V6 should be a 5R55E, or close relative. Dunno about the V8.

The V8 is the 5R55W. It is most my understanding that it is serviceable.

So is it the 5R55W? :D

Can you service them?

Thanks!

The '02 are sealed with synthetic for, I believe 150,000 miles. They are supposed to be non-seviceable, even have a sticker on the bottom of them. At least on the V6.

--Sean

Thats not what my manual says, Nor what my dealer told me.

I will be changeing the engine oil tonight, I will look closer, but pan on the bottom has a drain and and can come off. When they changed my T-fluid, the just did it through the cooler.

Unless the fact that mine is 4wd, I don't think that would make a difference

Originally posted by 4.0SOHC
Thats not what my manual says, Nor what my dealer told me.

I will be changeing the engine oil tonight, I will look closer, but pan on the bottom has a drain and and can come off. When they changed my T-fluid, the just did it through the cooler.

Unless the fact that mine is 4wd, I don't think that would make a difference

I guerentee it is sealed. Even the car mag articles reported it. I will try to find some literature tonight in or on the EX tonight.

--Sean

Here you go...

Some introduction literature...

"New Automatic and Manual Transmissions
Explorer features manual and automatic transmissions. Both offer improved operation and greater efficiency than the units they replace.

The new wide-ratio, 5-speed, 5R55W5 automatic provides improved performance over most four- and five-speed transmissions. It is internally balanced for better NVH.

The transmission team's goals were to improve launch acceleration, quiet operation and reduce customer service needs. A major step in that direction comes from Explorer's new 44-pound single aluminum transmission casting. The single casting greatly reduces NVH and powertrain bending at higher speeds.

The transmission carries more torque through its new wide-ratio five-speed. First gear now has a ratio of 3.26 compared with 2.47 for the previous transmission. Similar gains were made through the other four gears, giving the Explorer improved city and highway merging performance.

To reduce noise, Ford developed a quieter oil pump and new planetary gear designs. Planetary gears provide different ratios as a transmission goes through shifts.

Another major change is in what cannot be found under the hood - a dipstick. The new transmission is sealed at the factory with 11 quarts of a semi-synthetic blend of specially formulated fluid that should not require service for 150,000 miles. This is a benefit to owner convenience and the environment.

Because Explorer is the first Ford SUV with a sealed transmission, it was subjected to a series of brutal lab and real-world tests. Some tests were conducted in Ford's Research and Engineering Center in Dearborn, Mich., where the transmission was run for 50,000 miles at speeds of 115-120 mph on a dynamometer.

Real-world tests took place at Ford's Arizona Proving Grounds, where trailer pulling, mud baths and steep hill-climbs were standard daily fare."

From www.carbuytip.com:

"The real star in the new Explorer drivetrain is the optional five-speed automatic. It's smooth and responsive, quickly downshifting when the gas is mashed, and upshifting late or early depending on what the driver is doing with the throttle. It's a great transmission and makes the engines look and feel strong. Called "maintenance free," the transmission doesn't even have a dipstick; it's sealed by the factory, and should not require service for 150,000 miles. Also new is a five-speed manual transmission that will be available in 2002 for V6 Explorers."

From www.edmunds.com:

"Transmission choices for the V6 include an improved five-speed manual or Ford's new 5R55W5 wide-ratio, five-speed automatic with a sealed case—which means no dipstick for servicing and 150,000 miles between fluid changes. The V8 is available only with the automatic. Fuel economy for the best-selling version—a V6-powered 4x4 (about 60 percent of total Explorer volume)—remains the same for city driving (at 15 mpg) and improves the highway rating by 1 mpg (to 20). "

Like I said, I'll confirm it when I get home.

--Sean

I contacted the dealership and spoke with a tech. You are right, it doesn't need serviceing, but doesn't hurt. Honestly, I am pissed, because they didn't tell me this, and I was unaware of the time line. Thanks for correcting me. But on a second note, You can still drop the pan if you want, and change the fluid via the cooler.

Thanks Guys!

Just curious Matt NEMO, why did you have your trans serviced, since the transmission is a sealed unit and good for 150,000.00? :D

Rscotts1

I have not serviced it yet. We just bought it Tuesday. It only has 200 miles on it. It was built 08/06/02.

I am just a maintenance freak. I was curious about the new tranny. It is actually a 5R55S. The early '02's had a 5R55W. They changed the OD ratio from 0.75:1 on the 5R55w to 0.71:1 on the 5R55s during the 2002 year. One of the Ford tranny engineers that hangs out on the ford-diesel site filled me in on the specs.

Thanks everyone for the info.

.......my bad. The question should have been directed to 4.0SOHC.:D

I didn't know that it didn't need serviceing until 150K,

So, how does one determine what kind of transmission they have? I've got a 2002 V8, is there more than one kind of trans. used for that configuration?

I don't think so. I think it is the 5R55W5

Originally posted by jaw94087
So, how does one determine what kind of transmission they have? I've got a 2002 V8, is there more than one kind of trans. used for that configuration?
It appears that both V6 and V8 explorers use the same 5R55W tranny.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He did not say when during '02 they changed. He was not sure the serial number break. He said it was just sometime during the '02 production year. This guy seems to know his tranny's since he is a Ford engineer.

Back