02 Two door Explorer slipping and shaking! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Two door Explorer slipping and shaking!

alexthephotoguy

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
Hello. Two questions:

My wife's 2002 2-dr Explorer is slipping between 1st and 2nd. When she normally accelerates from a stop, it'll rev from 2,000 to almost 5,000 rpm for a split second between 1st and 2nd (I assume those are the gears based on her low speeds, though it could be 2nd and 3rd). I plan to take it into a transmission shop... but I want to know what to expect and what the cost may be to fix this?

Also- when I was adding LucasOil slip stop to the transmission as a hopeful temporary fix, I was in the driveway in Park. When I rev'd the engine, the whole car wobbled/shook right at 4k RPM. I tried to go a little more to see if it would work itself out, but it wouldn't go past 4k and wobbled pretty badly... It doesnt seem to wobble during the first problem, just in park. Thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Sounds like you could be having the onset of some major transmission problems. Has it been awhile since the fluid was changed, or is the fluid level too high? Someone more well-versed than I am could probably give you more information on that.

As for the wobbling when revving in Park, that sounds like bad engine mounts. I assume it does that in Neutral as well?

The 2002 Explorers/Mountaineers are infamous for having severe transmission problems. Expect a high quote for shop repairs.

Back