• Register Today It's free!

02 xls v6 towing

kart_racer23

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge , La
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 xlt
just curious if i am right or not the towing capacity of a 02 xls v6 is 3500lbs ??? im pulling a 6x12 enclosed with about 1000 lbs worth of gear inside im thinking the trailer weight is about 1100lbs mostly flat no hills execpt a few bridges

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have the factory tow package the tow rating is much higher, something like 5600 pounds. With the V8 it is even more.

how do you tell i know i have the factory hitch and the factory tranny cooler by the radiator i still installed the class 3 hitch underneath the factory though if you have the factory hitch does it mean i have the towing package

EX V6 towing

I have an 05 Explorer with the standard class 2 hitch that has a towing capacity of 3500 lbs . I have a pop up camper that weighs 2500 lbs loaded.
Pulling it up and down mountains, I don't even know that is there.I tow it 400 miles each way with no problem. The only thing that I did was to add an electric brake controller because my camper has electric brakes. :usa:

If your thinking about towing anything you consider HEAVY, or plan on towing some decent weight for a long distance....do yourself a favor and invest some money in a Transmission Cooler.
(i dont think the 3rd gens come with them do they?)

I believe they come with oil coolers though, because mine has one.

All the problems with towing usually starts with the tranny and overheating.

You can get a tranny cooler at autozone for like $40 i think, although it looks cheap....i would drop alittle more money than that!

I believe all 3rd gen 4dr. explorers come standard with a transmission cooler. The cooler is located at the bottom 1/3 of the radiator, in between the engine radiator and AC condenser. There are two lines running from the transmission to the cooler, these lines can be used to conveniently flush the ATF fluid when desired.

My 2002 Eddie Bauer 4 dr. 4.0L V6 certainly has this factory installed transmission cooler.

Rumple

do yourself a favor and invest some money in a Transmission Cooler.(i dont think the 3rd gens come with them do they?)

Back